Autopsy AFL 2023 Round 20 - Tigers v Demons Sun July 30th 3:20pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Tigers by a goal or less

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Demons by a goal or less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tigers by 7 - 20

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • Demons by 7 - 20

Votes: 15 39.5%
  • Tigers by a lot

• Demons by a lot

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • Draw

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Goals will be an issue for Melbourne in big finals. They are needing an all-time game from Petty to be level with a very average Richmond team.
How can you even say this with a straight face after we smacked you out of the 2021 finals by 60 points with exactly the same forward?

It's not a strength, it never has been, but it's the same fwd line that won the 2021 granny, except for Van Rooyen for Ben brown.

We also have our best forward in Fritsch out at the moment.

Why are cats fans so obsessed woth Richmond game day threads? :think:

Good game. Result was pretty much as expected. Umps gifted dees about 4 goals but it didn't affect the end result. Dees were far better overall and had about 30 more i50s. Not going to win any games with that deficit.

Dees 3 top goal scorers kicked 14.0 and gave us no chance of holding on either.

it's the same fwd line that won the 2021 granny, except for Van Rooyen for Ben brown.
What?

Melksham was at Casey in 21, Chandler too. Tom MacDonald and Spargo missing, Harry Petty was playing in the backline. Trac spending a lot more time forward at the minute.

Kicked the highest score of the round tho, so not worried about scoring.

Last edited:
What?

Melksham was at Casey in 21, Chandler too. Tom MacDonald and Spargo missing, Harry Petty was playing in the backline. Trac spending a lot more time forward at the minute.

Kicked the highest score of the round tho, so not worried about scoring.
Let's not forget that Petty has played fwd this season in other games and looked average. Yeah TMac and Spargo are missing due to omission.

Let me guess ... It was the umpires.

Steve Bannon Bingo GIF

Half time free kicks Rich 8-Melb 2 - so "not involved" means paying frees to Richmond and not the opposition. You guys are hilarious.
Was it really 8-2 free kicks at half time - I didn't realise that! I thought it was more like 4-2. So richmond only got one free kick in the second half!

Genuine question - did you actually feel like the demons were being harshly treated by the umpires in the first half?

IMHO - For the first time in a while I thought the umpiring was quite good because they weren't paying soft free kicks and the game flowed and was great to watch as a result - then they seemed to change the mindset.

Was it really 8-2 free kicks at half time - I didn't realise that! I thought it was more like 4-2. So richmond only got one free kick in the second half!

Genuine question - did you actually feel like the demons were being harshly treated by the umpires in the first half?

IMHO - For the first time in a while I thought the umpiring was quite good because they weren't paying soft free kicks and the game flowed and was great to watch as a result - then they seemed to change the mindset.
Yep, maggots gonna be maggots.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He had only just taken possession. If they were to apply that rule like it was called on TT we would be dealing with AFL23 type stuff. That's not the game we want.
He took the player on. That was his prior.
He then didn't get rid of it. That's holding the ball.
Pretty simple.

He took the player on. That was his prior.
He then didn't get rid of it. That's holding the ball.
Pretty simple.
Pretty simple haha - I wish - the rules around HTB are the most ridiculously grey rules of any rule in any sport. Evidenced in the debate and frustration shown every week on this forum.

I think it was actually 4-2 at halftime but was 8-2 during the 3rd quarter so my mistake.

I thought there was a few missed free kicks for us (namely a couple to Max) that led to Richmond goals but overall I thought if they were putting the whistle away fair enough. I thought they were pretty consistent overall, the HTB's in the last quarter stood out but I thought they were all there.

Pretty simple haha - I wish - the rules around HTB are the most ridiculously grey rules of any rule in any sport. Evidenced in the debate and frustration shown every week on this forum.
When a player takes on another but gets caught with the ball, it's VERY simple. Exactly what happened with TT.

Trying to step, trying to fend or trying to lift arms/ball above the tacker are all opportunities for player to have otherwise disposed of the ball. Aka, prior.

TT had his prior, got caught and the tackler (Viney for memory) didn't let it out.

Clear HTB free.

Back