Autopsy AFL 2023 Round 23 - Demons v Hawks Sun Aug 20th 3:20pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Demons by a goal or less

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Hawks by a goal or less

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Demons by 7 - 20

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Hawks by 7 - 20

Votes: 16 35.6%
  • Demons by a lot

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • Hawks by a lot

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

That's an indictment on a particular coach (allegedly).
Nope.

Kennett’s a racist prick too.
Systemic.

The voting to merge is an indictment on the supporting base.
Except that’s fake news. Google it.

Hawthorn being a racist club is fact.

Nope.

Kennett’s a racist prick too.
Systemic.

Except that’s fake news. Google it.

Hawthorn being a racist club is fact.

I don't recall Kennett telling people to allegedly abort their children. I do agree he's a racist prick.

Once again. Not an indictment on the supporters.

Also on the second point.

"The Melbourne vote was tabled and counted that night. Around midnight, the decision was announced: 51.4 per cent of the Melbourne members had voted in favour of a merger with Hawthorn."

Thankfully our supporters had the backbone to save both of our clubs. You can shout us a 6pack when you win the flag this year ;)

How about we all just cool off a bit.

Result was about right – solid effort from Hawthorn, plenty to work on for the Dees, who thankfully locked in top-four.

Not much more to say about this game tbh.

A good win for the Dees for Gawn's 200th, my favourite non Saints player, he seems like a ripping bloke and he barracks for the Black Caps like me.

He looked like Master Blaster from Mad Max 3 walking off with his little son on his shoulders.

rsz_1msbl.png

"The Melbourne vote was tabled and counted that night. Around midnight, the decision was announced: 51.4 per cent of the Melbourne members had voted in favour of a merger with Hawthorn."

Thankfully our supporters had the backbone to save both of our clubs.
A rigged vote.
The evidence is there if you look for it.

Fun fact. There are children going into grade 1 next year who have not experienced the Hawks beating Melbourne in their lifetime.

Another fun fact is that there are Melbourne fans going into their 60s next year who have only experienced one flag in their lifetime during a period that Hawthorn fans have experienced 12 flags. A bonus fun fact is that some of those same Melbourne fans also bare the shame of having being in the majority of Demon members that voted to merge their club out of existence. You should be more respectful, if it wasn't for Hawthorn members voting no, your club wouldn't even exist.

Last edited:
Another fun fact is that there are Melbourne fans going into their 60s next year who have only experienced one flag in their lifetime during a period that Hawthorn fans have experienced 12 flags. A bonus fun fact is that some of those same Melbourne fans also bear the shame of having being in the majority of Demon members that voted to merge their club out of existence. You should be more respectful, if it wasn't for Hawthorn members voting no, your club wouldn't even exist.
Say no to racism.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was just happy to lock away top 4. Hawks turned the game into a very unfinals like game. Flooding numbers back. Playing kick to kick. Constant switching until someone was free. We just had to hang in and wore them down.

Another fun fact is that there are Melbourne fans going into their 60s next year who have only experienced one flag in their lifetime during a period that Hawthorn fans have experienced 12 flags. A bonus fun fact is that some of those same Melbourne fans also bear the shame of having being in the majority of Demon members that voted to merge their club out of existence. You should be more respectful, if it wasn't for Hawthorn members voting no, your club wouldn't even exist.
Youse lost.

Plus, it was always a Melbourbe takeover. If the merger had gone ahead the horrid yellow and the Hawk would’ve been rightfully phased out.

Who will though? Collingwood and Port Adelaide have been flaky for a while. Brisbane are unreliable at the MCG. Carlton were lucky to beat a very meh Gold Coast side.
I honestly say this with respect, but for a top 4 side vs 16th, you were really unconvincing, especially as the 16th placed team were agrubuly missing 2 of their top 3 and most important players. I genuinely feel this whole season is wreak and is open as ever

I honestly say this with respect, but for a top 4 side vs 16th, you were really unconvincing, especially as the 16th placed team were agrubuly missing 2 of their top 3 and most important players. I genuinely feel this whole season is wreak and is open as ever
I honestly say this with respect.

Good effort from a bunch of battlers, but only negative tactics prevented the brave Hawks from anhialation in the last.

Melbourne’s guns were all quiet and they were running with one genuine tall forward who is 20 years old.

TBF hawks turned the game into a bit of a crappy one. As I said above you flooded back. Played kick to kick and eventually worked a way out. But we were plus 22 inside 50. Hawks but us soundly in the clearances but didn’t play to win. Played to stop us today from my observation.

Plus, it was always a Melbourbe takeover. If the merger had gone ahead the horrid yellow and the Hawk would’ve been rightfully phased out.

I can understand why Melbourne fans live in a reality distortion field when it comes to the merger their members tried to push through. It was indeed a shameful vote made by the Melbourne members, basically voting their club into extinction if not for Hawthorn members rejecting the merge.

The reality is, the proposed colours were a merge of gold, red and blue. Your mascot was to be killed off in favour of the Hawk, and you were no longer to be referred to as Demons, but Hawks. The merged song looks a lot more like the Hawthorn song than Melbourne's (which makes sense, ours is obviously better).

Basically Melbourne members, starved of success for many years, were desperate to import the Hawthorn winning ways. Hawthorn's board were concerned about our ability to carry on financially, and felt forced into a merger for financial reasons, whereas at the time Melbourne were financially strong. Basically Melbourne members tried to use their club's cash to sell out their club in the hope of the Hawthorn success rubbing off on the resulting entity.

Put simply, your members owe us your club. Without Hawthorn members it would no longer exist.

Brayshaw is back on my Christmas card list, Bowey is off the same list.
And I reckon Laurie showed enough for another game.

TBF hawks turned the game into a bit of a crappy one. As I said above you flooded back. Played kick to kick and eventually worked a way out. But we were plus 22 inside 50. Hawks but us soundly in the clearances but didn’t play to win. Played to stop us today from my observation.
Hawks knew they couldn’t go head to head on talent. Smart coaching by Mitchell, but not great to watch.

They relied on a 32 year old Bruest for half their scoring.

The Hawks aren’t super young either.

Here are the ages of the top six disposal winners for each team.

24, 28, 25, 28, 28, 26

22, 29, 27, 27, 32, 28

I can understand why Melbourne fans live in a reality distortion field when it comes to the merger their members tried to push through. It was indeed a shameful vote made by the Melbourne members, basically voting their club into extinction if not for Hawthorn members rejecting the merge.

The reality is, the proposed colours were a merge of gold, red and blue. Your mascot was to be killed off in favour of the Hawk, and you were no longer to be referred to as Demons, but Hawks. The merged song looks a lot more like the Hawthorn song than Melbourne's (which makes sense, ours is obviously better).

Basically Melbourne members, starved of success for many years, were desperate to import the Hawthorn winning ways. Hawthorn's board were concerned about our ability to carry on financially, and felt forced into a merger for financial reasons, whereas at the time Melbourne were financially strong. Basically Melbourne members tried to use their club's cash to sell out their club in the hope of the Hawthorn success rubbing off on the resulting entity.

Put simply, your members owe us your club. Without Hawthorn members it would no longer exist.
I hope that gives you comfort as you lie awake tonight trying to push memories of a winless five and a half years against a Melbourne out of your thoughts.

I hope that gives you comfort as you lie awake tonight trying to push memories of a winless five and a half years against a Melbourne out of your thoughts.

A simple "Thanks for keeping our club around" would suffice.

I also like how you have to cast your 5.5 year streak as "winless" for us instead of being able to say you've beaten us for 5 years in a row. The draw kind of messes up your streak a little doesn't it? You've got a 3 game winning streak against us, hardly anything to use as the cornerstone for a forum taunt is it? Also, your 3 win streak with maximum margin of 54 points hardly makes up for our recent 13 game winning streak over you, including two 100+ point margins. Then there was the 21 streak margin spanning over 10 years from 73 to 84. All within my lifetime. You need to go back to WWII for a 100+ point win of Melbourne over Hawthorn. If I was having trouble sleeping I could always cry myself to sleep with memories of the 88 grand final.

Not only do you owe us your club, we've owned your club on-field for the vast majority of my lifetime. Since we turned things around financially after the merger, we also own you off-field. A few years since our last flag, and bottom 4 vs Melbourne's top 4, and we still have more members, and a lot more assets. Against that background, trading barbs on your 3 win streak isn't going to have much impact I'm afraid.

Back