AFL Club supporters by Melbourne suburbs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne: The victorian alps
Collingwood: Anywhere someone put off cleaning for a tad too long

Some very good zingers in this thread, gotta say.

I am curious, with the Wyndham Vale/Toolern area between Werribee and Melton about to get saturated with new housing, what will the supporter base look like? Sure, a lot of people who already support a team will be going out there to live, but there is a significant amount of immigrants who will be buying land or houses in the setup will no set allegiance yet.

I still call them Footscray, but the Western Bulldogs planning strategy is sound. Unlike the Kangaroos name change which was merely for marketing, Footscray changed their name and laid claim to a market. That giant expanse of land that will shortly become suburbs is smack bang in between two well populated Bulldogs areas, and they will do quite nicely out of it. Other clubs will do well, perhaps better, but the modern direction of the Western Bulldogs has ensured they will get a nice piece of the pie, one they certainly may have missed a decade and a half ago.

Whether it is dumb luck or excellent strategy, someone at Footscray deserves a pat on the back.

I don't catch trains, I can only go by membership stickers on the back of cars in my area (Viewbank). Mostly Collingwood, Carlton and Hawthorn. A few Melbourne, North, Essendon. Next to no StKilda or Richmond.

Craigieburn line - After about Strathmore the line is 95% Essendon supporters as you get to the wealthier suburbs. Less than a handful of Melbourne supporters.

Anything south of Glenroy quickly becomes Collingwood territory.

The hurstbridge and epping lines used to be full of collingwood supporters.

I live in Mill Park.. Northern suburbs.. and although there is a lot of Collingwood/Carlton/Essendon, there is always a healthy amount of Richmond supporters riding the Epping (South Morang) line on gameday.

I see a lot of Richmond bumper stickers here in the North too.. I was once at the traffic lights on Dalton road with 3 cars all sporting Richmond stickers at the same time. 4 including mine :D

Who lives in there clubs traditional zone? Be interesting to see everyone's responses.

I'll start I'm a Bulldogs fan who is from the East. (traditionally inner West)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But in Essendon/Essendon North/Niddrie it's pretty much like this:

85% - Essendon
10% - Carlton (Crazy Dave included) Also know quite a few North supporters up my way
5% - Every other club

Went to Richmond's Family Day today in Burnley. 100% Richmond fans there! ;)

Eastern suburbs dominated by Richmond fans...always has been. Hawthorn have decent support also, as do Collingwood and Essendon.

Someone mentioned no Richmond fans in the Eltham area? I used to run the Eltham Hotel for 3 years. Big Collingwood base however when Richmond were playing, easily the biggest crowds would flock in to watch the Tiges (collingwood excluded)...clearly we have at least a decent following in Eltham/Monty/etc...

ha, smasha cracks me up as to how biased he is re tigers. man, richmond supporters have spread all the way to iceland and are making their way into the earth's crust.

i live in carlton and find there's quite a few carlton supporters here. edit: oh, and richmond

Go by train lines it will look like this;

Williamstown = 1.Western Bulldogs 2. Essendon 3. Collingwood
Werribee = 1.Western Bulldogs 2. Essendon 3. Collingwood
Sunbury = 1. Essendon 2. Western Bulldogs 3. Collingwood
Craigieburn = 1. Essendon 2. Carlton 3. Collingwood
Upfield = 1. Carlton 2. Collingwood 3. Essendon
South Morang = 1. Collingwood 2. Carlton 3. Essendon
Hurstbridge = 1. Collingwood 2. Carlton 3. Essendon
Lilydale = 1. Essendon 2. Richmond 3. Hawthorn
Belgrave = 1. Richmond 2. Hawthorn 3. Collingwood
Glen Waverley = 1. Hawthorn 2. Richmond 3. Collingwood
Alamain = 1. Hawthorn 2. Melbourne 3. Richmond
Cranbourne = 1. Hawthorn 2. Richmond 3. Collingwood
Pakenham = 1. Essendon 2. Richmond 3. Collingwood
Frankston = 1. St.Kilda 2. Essendon 3. Collingwood
Sandringham = 1. St.Kilda 2. Melbourne 3. Collingwood

Only side not on the list is North Melbourne. As we all know they have a very small following but majority of their fans are on the Werribee line. North would be behind bulldogs, Essendon, Collingwood and Geelong on the line tho

Last edited:
Yarra Valley/Lilydale/Croydon/Moorolbark was mainly Carlton followed by Richmond and Hawthorn back in 80's and 90's. Got no idea anymore if changed as not out that way now.
Mulgrave/Waverley region a lot of bandwagoner Hawks of recent generations. Always had the yuppee growth about them and even to this day feels the same. Their support growth I feel has grown more than others in my life time.
Ringwood/Nunawading more Essendon fans show up which probably to do with old zones of Ringwood being Essendon area I suspect. Salmon... etc etc.
Bayside suburbs has more Saints fans than they have represented elsewhere which does not mean they have the most out that way but you notice you come across more of them than other places.

Always found as a kid growing up Dogs, Saints and Demons fans rare as hens teeth. Swans and Fitzroy ones even rarer again. I struggle to even remember Fitzroy supporters from my school days or work. I remember on tv Bert Newton was and one of my junior football coaches was but after that I draw a blank.
Collingwood must have a lot north and generally spread out but where I grew up did not have too many more than Cats and Roos.
Essendon fans a few but not much more than North or Cats. Also another club that must have a lot North regions where I have spent less time. Rare times out west very clear Footscray had a strong Western suburbs following which probably lead to them calling themselves Western Bulldogs in recent decades.
Goes without saying Geelong region and outskirts would have strong Geelong support but even as a kid growing up they were not as few and far between as ones like Swans, Lions and Demon fans. Always tend to find one or two cats fans in 30 people.

The country regions again I know less about but suspect places like Bendigo that used to be a Carlton zone and had lots of Carlton players in past would be strong support there and places like Mildura Tigers and Gippsland Dogs. Mallee regions Essendon etc... Watsons from there.

Last edited:
There are still plenty of Swans supporters in South and Port Melbourne.

I also know of 2 GWS Giants fans in Port...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back