Autopsy AFL Hall of Fame 2017 Nominations

Remove this Banner Ad

You'd put Bomber Thompson in ahead of him without question. But I wouldn't have Bomber in there either.

O'Loughlin and Bickley were very good players but I'd argue that very good is not good enough.
Once again this is the ''luck'' of having few sides in one state and plenty of sides in one. Crows nominated McLeod and Roo and would have felt it odd that their only Premiership captain wasn't in.

Once again this is the ''luck'' of having few sides in one state and plenty of sides in one. Crows nominated McLeod and Roo and would have felt it odd that their only Premiership captain wasn't in.
Not really a good enough reason though is it? Kind of tarnishes the status of HoF if they are being admitted based on that sort of criteria.

Not really a good enough reason though is it? Kind of tarnishes the status of HoF if they are being admitted based on that sort of criteria.
+ 3 times Best team Man award. ;)

It is what it is. This will be part of the teething problems for at least 20 years. Wait till GWS and GC start getting players nominated.

True but I think longevity is a funny one. Someone like Brett Deluido for example will likely play 300 games...most of them in average or shit sides and he's only had a couple of seasons as 'one of the better' guys in his position, but not the best of the best by any means. Does the fact that he debut young and lasts into his 30s give him a HoF entry?

I think that's very much up for debate.
Never watched merret play but from what ive heard he has been massive for footy up here. Again he was well before my time but i think it would be more then just his longetivity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never watched merret play but from what ive heard he has been massive for footy up here. Again he was well before my time but i think it would be more then just his longetivity.
He was a critical component of our 84/85 premierships. A lot of the success of that team was based on an intimidatory aura built up around players like him to challenge the Hawthorn hegemony of the 80s. He rose from being a fringe player stuck in the reserves to becoming an incredibly reliable marking, goal-kicking forward. Lou Richards was a big fan and his commentary often reflected his admiration for him. To then go up north and set in place the foundations of a successful club in a hostile market is his crowning glory. An absolute monty for HoF you would think, yet still we wait for his call-up. To think that O'Loughlin and Lappin, as comparisons, are in ahead of him is truly head-scratching stuff.

Winmar > Loewe > Barker for your mob. Hayes when he is eligible.

I posted this team a few days ago in the 2016 HoF thread of retired players yet to be recognised in my time watching.

Hunter Scarlett Fletcher
Cornes Leppitsch M Harvey
Winmar Black Hayes
Mercuri Merrett Buckenara
Chapman Modra J Brown
Rehn Cousins J Krakouer

Neitz Millane Barker Lynch
I saw a lot of Merrett and no way in the wide world would I have him in ahead of Loewe, based on their VFL/AfL careers.

They played within 8 games of each other (321 to 313), but Loewe kicked 594 goals to Roger's 433, took a whopping 2503 marks to Roger's 1279 (so almost double the marks!), had 4859 disposals to RM's 3626 and had him by over 50% for hitouts as well, at 1572 to 959.

Loewe with a 90 goal season, Merrett with a career-best of 60, Loewe with a 225 mark season (plus 6 more of over 180), Merrett with a best of 131 (and only 5 in total over 100), etc.

It would surely not even be a close contest between the two.

I'd have Loewe's career over Winmar's as well, much more consistent.

Last edited:
I saw a lot of Merrett and no way in the wide world would I have him in ahead of Loewe based on their VFL/AfL careers.

They played within 8 games of each other (321 to 313), but Loewe kicked 594 goals to Roger's 433, took a whopping 2503 marks to Roger's 1279 (so almost double the marks!), had 4859 disposals to RM's 3626 and had him by over 50% for hitouts as well, at 1572 to 959.

It would surely not even be a close contest between the two.
Rodg was the crucial ingredient in our 80s recipe that stopped Hawthorn from potentially winning 4 GFs in a row. He also lifted a rabble of disoriented northern misfits upon his shoulders and led them to a finals series before retiring. Stats are not always indicative of the influence, presence, or stature of a player.

Having said all that, Loewe is more than worthy of a spot.

Who's eligible from Port next year?
Depends if they go SANFL Port then Greg Phillips would have to be very close. AFL Port I would have to think. Mark Williams - but he gets in for many reasons. I cant think of anyone in the separate teams. I say that to distinguish the eras.

I'd have Loewe's career over Winmar's as well, much more consistent.
Winmar was majestic artistry. He is what makes our game the greatest to watch. You forgive inconsistency for that alone. Loewe was awkward and lumbering but, yes, consistent. Personally, I'd have Winmar ahead, but then again I'm a purest and I can perhaps understand the frustrations of Saints fans following Winmar's career.

In all seriousness Roger Merrett.

2 premierships 1984, 1985.
Represented Victoria 1984 and 1986 and Queensland 1991
Captained both Victoria (1986 against South Australia) and Queensland (1991 against Victoria)
Brisbane Bears captain
Brisbane Lions coach
Over 300 games as a player
All-Australian 1985
Also VFL Reserves Fairest And Best (Gardiner Medal) in 1982.

Not many players that have played 140+ games for two clubs.

Even fewer players that have played 140+ games for two clubs that aren't in the Hall of Fame!

His teammate Marcus Ashcroft is the only other player in that situation! (And that was kind of at the same club!)

AFL Hall of Fame Ceremony - Tuesday June 20, 2017 - Adelaide Oval.

Given the ceremony is in Adelaide - I guess that means it's a rolled gold cert either or both of Tyson Edwards (321 games & 2 Premierships) and Tony Modra (588 Goals) are in.

Barry Hall also a certainty for inclusion.

Who out of Tony Modra or Tyson Edwards is more worthy of inclusion?

AFL Hall of Fame Ceremony - Tuesday June 20, 2017 - Adelaide Oval.

Given the ceremony is in Adelaide - I guess that means it's a rolled gold cert either or both of Tyson Edwards (321 games & 2 Premierships) and Tony Modra (588 Goals) are in.

Barry Hall also a certainty for inclusion.

Who out of Tony Modra or Tyson Edwards is more worthy of inclusion?

They can have both Modra and Edwards in if they take Mark Bickley out. I still haven't gotten over that.

In all seriousness though, Tony Modra is probably the most under rated player of his era. He was a fantastic player and is a walk up start for the HoF.

Edwards was a rock solid player who peaked as a top 10 midfielder in the league. Played a lot of footy but to me is borderline.

Easily shades Bickley though. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back