Review AFL National Draft Geelong picks 22 24 36 and 57

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting. I know you can be a rookie for three years, so is this possible because the total years served will be under three? What if someone picked up a delisted Willsmore, what happens then in terms of his contract and space in the cap?
Whoever drafts him takes on the contract and the cap hit.

We need a back up forward , so with that in mind the club will pick Crameri... as much as I don’t want him on the list I can see the logic in it.
I don't. His career averages are basically the same as Black's, and he plays in a totally different way to (and is nowhere near as good as) Hawkins. So what's the point of picking him? Would rather take a punt on a kid or VFL player.

I don't. His career averages are basically the same as Black's, and he plays in a totally different way to (and is nowhere near as good as) Hawkins. So what's the point of picking him? Would rather take a punt on a kid or VFL player.
Who knows they may think Black isn’t up to it and rather have someone like Crameri as a backup in the VFL, I doubt he will get on the senior list unless Hawkins and Black both goes down.

Who really knows I’m hoping for left field pick from the club, but the logic is there for picking Crameri over Hayball at least.

Seriously, take Crameri, he has potential to be a very good addition if he can stay fit. It's a Rookie Spot. Take a swing. He fits in with a flag tilt over the next couple of years. We are giving up stuff all so who cares.

I really don't understand the opposition to it all. The draft is weak and it's a cheap way to get some insurance in an are we lack.

Crameri is a much better player than Black IMO. Having said that i would rather neither on the list if we can find a better backup kpf option.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Narkle's an outside/inside mid mate.
Shame about that ACL as he was putting together a couple of good games in a row and wouldn’t have been surprised with a late season debut. Not it’ll curtail his 2018 as well which only further puts pressure on his 3rd season in 2019.

Brutal business AFL footy.

I really like our selections, however, I reckon that Hugh Dixon will turn into a good Key Forward, we could've grabbed him. I reckon he's flown under the radar a bit. I'll be keen to watch his development; Freo may have scooped a bargain.

If everyones always happy with their picks ... most clubs think they got bargains or steals ... I look at the Saints group for eg.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...w/news-story/0b429b371c05ab33f28b39f8a8789b95
and Id certainly would have been happy enough if those 4 were added to our list...

The pick I was concerned about was Kelly. He sounds focused and keen atm one would hope so as he has just been drafted ..but once the immediate buzz of selection settles and he works his way into the club ..gets games or not .. that the off field will be very important for him if he is to be happy here long term. Id not exclude the idea that he may at some stage want to move..but thats probably a consideration for any player taken from out of state but with a young family maybe more so.

If everyones always happy with their picks ... most clubs think they got bargains or steals ... I look at the Saints group for eg.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...w/news-story/0b429b371c05ab33f28b39f8a8789b95
and Id certainly would have been happy enough if those 4 were added to our list...

The pick I was concerned about was Kelly. He sounds focused and keen atm one would hope so as he has just been drafted ..but once the immediate buzz of selection settles and he works his way into the club ..gets games or not .. that the off field will be very important for him if he is to be happy here long term. Id not exclude the idea that he may at some stage want to move..but thats probably a consideration for any player taken from out of state but with a young family maybe more so.
With Kelly I do wonder if the flipside is that in two years he'll be settled in at Geelong and may not want to uproot the family again, even to go back West.

He's also no guarantee to make it necessarily, could just end up off the list with no suitors in two years time and that would be a shame.

I wasn’t that impressed with how Kelly spoke on the jumper day grab. It doesn’t mean anything as he probably hasn’t done much media before. Has a bit of arrogance about him which I don’t mind if directed the right way. But there was certainly a lot of him that is still in wa understandable considering his family is there. I’m very excited for him as a player so I hope he is able to keep his head focused on the game.

With Kelly I do wonder if the flipside is that in two years he'll be settled in at Geelong and may not want to uproot the family again, even to go back West.

He's also no guarantee to make it necessarily, could just end up off the list with no suitors in two years time and that would be a shame.

Glass half full its quite possible... we have a strong history of WA players at our club .. but there other examples of players coming here and deciding to return home for what ever reason.
Its not unthinkable that he may show his worth , enjoy playing here but that the off ground stuff pressure him to look for a trade back to Freo or WC. One just hopes that no matter what he shows he is a player of worth , so that if doesn't stay we will get something in return.
I certainly hope your prediction is the outcome

I wasn’t that impressed with how Kelly spoke on the jumper day grab. It doesn’t mean anything as he probably hasn’t done much media before. Has a bit of arrogance about him which I don’t mind if directed the right way. But there was certainly a lot of him that is still in wa understandable considering his family is there. I’m very excited for him as a player so I hope he is able to keep his head focused on the game.

I haven't seen the clip ..but reading the extracts of interviews , I do agree it reads like he has a strong confident attitude. To be fair It may well be as you say..not a lot of media. And listening to Crameri he was just the same , perhaps more so. and he is a lot more experienced.

I haven't seen the clip ..but reading the extracts of interviews , I do agree it reads like he has a strong confident attitude. To be fair It may well be as you say..not a lot of media. And listening to Crameri he was just the same , perhaps more so. and he is a lot more experienced.
If you see the instagram clip of Kelly talking, from the way he was playing with his jumper, I'd say he looked nervous as hell in front of the media. So with that in mind, I don't think he seemed arrogant - if anything, he was just trying to get the interview over and done with and he did a pretty good job considering.

Well I would think the major danger of him returning to WA would be over this pre season if things went nuclear at home after the twins were born, which I think would be an outside chance given how driven he is to play AFL, or more likely at the end of his two year deal when his oldest is going to be ready to start school the next year.

Clearly we are in the now and thought it worth the risk. If he slots straight in for Motlop and we win a flag in 18 or 19 and then he wants to go home after 2 years and we take a haircut on the trade who cares.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back