Review AFL National Draft Geelong picks 22 24 36 and 57

Remove this Banner Ad

Fairly content, would’ve liked one of Sam Taylor or Clavarino as our KPD stocks are looking very slim next season.

Hoping we take Sam Collins in the rookie draft now.

Should these picks go to plan, we could have a decent forwardline next year with Gaz and Danger getting regular minutes.

Aiden Domic might be a good selection in the rookie, a mid-sized utility - midfielder, flanker type. Not overly quick, but can run all day, and uses the ball nicely. Probably one of those under-rated ones in this year's draft. Just trying to think best available left, without really thinking of list needs.

Parrish is another one, good as an Inside Mid, but we don't really need him, particularly after we selected Constable, who appears the better of the two.

Last edited:

From an outsider, I reckon you did very well.

We may have pinched Kelly from you...I guess Oscar Allen filled a need, so you took him first. I think both clubs did OK....

Last edited:
Happy with the draft but I feel constable is another GHS/Jansen type
For our next gen midfielders, he actually complements Parfitt, Fogarty, Cockatoo, Gregson, Parsons, Cunico. He would do well extracting to those guys. Can rest forward also, looks a fraction quicker than Jansen and GHS; but is no linebreaker that's for sure.

Can’t believe we got Miers so late. His highlights remind me of a young GAJ. See goal, kick goal... doesn’t matter if he’s deep in the pocket or negotiating traffic. Kicked a couple from around 40 out too that went through mid way up the post. Others have likened him to Milne in the way he goes about his football. Exactly the sort of player we need.

I get the thoughts on the lack of KPD taken - but if you are taking BPA and they are not a KPD.. then take the BPA.

Another wrinkle to this.. perhaps, just perhaps.. they already have someone from another club in mind for next trade period...

and lets be honest.. a lot of these moves do get rolling 12 months earlier.

Just a thought..

Go Catters

Really disappointed we did not take Tom McCartin. We had 2 chances and let him go. I think he has the potential to be a champion. Five players on the list under 180cms.
Then again had 3 in the side when we won flags - Chappy, Wojo, Byrnes plus Gazza at 180.

Actually thinking a bit more about it we now have 8 players 180 cm or less - Gazza, Parfitt, Simpson, Jones, McCarthy, Gregson, Fogarty, Miers. That is just over 20% of the list.

Where is the lead up forward with a tank?

I really like how this and the past few drafts shaped up. We are hitting it 1999-2001 styles. Getting that sweet overlap for 4/5 years and then the new bunch will be ready to go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Killed it. Just looking at the Fox Footy phantom draft....

Fogarty - named at number 15 - taken at 22.
Kelly - named at number 21 - taken at 24.
Constable - named at number 23 - taken at 37.
Miers - named at number 33 - taken at 57.

Also, compare actual to Gary Buckenara's rankings

22 Lachlan Fogarty - GB 16
24 Tim Kelly - GB 44
36 Charlie Constable - GB 11
57 Gryan Miers - GB 19

Looks like we got a few bargains this year.

Anyone done a go home factor index this year? I would be curious to see if it's had much of an impact / shaped the draft much.

Football aside Kelly is an interesting selection.

He will have 3 kids under 2.5 with zero support network over here and be miles away from family etc. Doing this for any job he is going to have to be an extraordinary person. It's a very tough situation. To me it no doubt adds a level of risk esp for somebody starting to forge a career from scratch, forging bonds all the way to the go home factor.

Stinking Gold Coast. That little extra on the GAJ deal at the last minute cost us getting Allen by one pick who is the exact player we need. Then they go and pick an absolute no name bolter that nobody had heard of. Pretty sure he would have still been there five picks later. Wells said we would take 19 and 22 to the draft but cracked. Allen, Fogerty, CC and Miers would have been sensational. We still did very well with what was available and I'm happy we didn't reach for a change.

Crameri is a must for me now. We need something as a lead up. We can get buy for another year with Taylor, Hendo, Kolo, Gardner and House down back.

I'm pinching myself.

I said to Willio_ privately that I'd have liked Wooller or Taylor to be amongst our selections but It's impossible to complain given who we've picked up.

I expected constable and Fogarty to be gone before our 1st selection and we got Kelly who fills a glaring need and is ready to go. And Miers slipped all the way down to pick 57 ... not surprising that Wells was smiling and we were quick to lock in that selection.

Very good haul.

Now Hayball and Crameri as rookies and then the hard work starts.

I reckon we absolutely nailed the draft, really stoked.

Obviously you want to draft quality long term but short term (and we are in the window) if you asked me about our two main concerns (I am concerned re key forward but that is more a long term post Hawkins issue that freaks me out, next year I think we have enough to make it work) I would have been that as much as Motlop was inconsistent we lacked depth in the outside run and quality footskills position that he played, and if Gregson doesn't get fit we really lack for forward pressure (especially while we carry and Hawkins and Menzel as low pressure forwards). Well we nailed those needs. Fogarty was basically the leading tackler per game and pressure stat player in the TAC Cup this year and long term has midfield potential as he wins a lot of ball and uses it well.

Kelly if he brings the same quality form he had in the WAFL this year to the AFL is basically an instant slot in to the role Motlop vacated and should play a lot of senior football next year. What I like about him is while he can win his own ball when required and will go his turn when he is allowed time and space (and he will get it let's be honest in a midfield of DangerwoodwoodAblett and Duncan he won't be getting tagged much) he is a 70 m player can run 20 very quick and deliver over 50m by foot and we really need that. We were exposed with Motlop's up and down form with a lack of alternative outside mids having to play guys like Kolo off a wing which isn't the right fit, this is a much better one. While I feel sorry for his partner having to move interstate with twins on the way it's the move I think we had to make and I am glad we risked it. At the end of the day if he can help us win a couple of flags in the next 2-3 years I am not so fussed if he ends up asking for a trade back to WA later on. The Motlop trade looks a lot better now too as if you understand the 2018 pick swaps we did re Ablett and the likely F/S situation next year if Oscar does develop well next year we will effectively have traded Motlop and some minor pick downgrades next year (gave up a r2 got a r3 and 2 x r4) for Ablett Kelly and Brownless. While I would have rather Motlop stayed given his up and down form during 2017 and his free agency status to get that type of result Wells has definitely made the best of a bad situation.

Constable for me is a very good pick as he is a tall big bodied mid but has very good disposal and vision, clearly his lack of speed over 20m dropped him down a bit as did the 2k run but i think the endurance will develop and if it does he can be a very good coalface mid, someone like Josh Kenedy who is equally not fast over 20m is the blueprint. We will clearly have to move some jigsaw pieces around to fit him in the midfield I think he was too good not to pick.

And Miers is a absolute steal after his GF annd finals series in general, and given our forward line often is inefficient at converting entries into goals to get a player like him who knows where the goals are that late in the draft is a great talent result and a great need fit for us.

While I am sad we didn't get Wooller I can understand why we didn't with the way the cards fell and if I could have picked anywhere for Wooller to go except us it would have been QLD as both clubs there have terrible retention rates. And particularly at Brisbane if you look at their list almost all of their spine talls (Hipwood, Smith, Ballenden, Payne, Andrews, Dawson etc) are academy players so they are going to be obligated to give a lot of them opportunities ahead of Wooller (they won't admit that publically but that's the reality) and I can see every chance that he spends 2 years in the NEAFL and then requests a trade home. In the meantime we definitely need Hawkins to stay fit and either Taylor/House/Black/Stanley to stay fit and offer some decent mature forward support while we develop kids like Buzza or find some more young key forwards in future drafts. But all in all fantastic result.
Great summary PO I think we did very well, addressing small forward was my number 1 hope and we have done that and most of them will push into the midfield. I thought the same thing when Brisbane called out Wooller disappointed we missed out but a good club to get too hopefully he gets back to Geelong soon. Warpol on the other hand who I was keen on went to hawthorn so he can get lost.

Really disappointed we did not take Tom McCartin. We had 2 chances and let him go. I think he has the potential to be a champion. Five players on the list under 180cms.
Then again had 3 in the side when we won flags - Chappy, Wojo, Byrnes plus Gazza at 180.

To be fair for all we know McCartin was the next player on our list at 36. I think it's pretty clear now that kelly was a specific needs pick to replace motlop and we wouldn't have deviated from that plan no matter what, and when fogarty slid (remember basically all the mocks had him top 15 as high as gws at 11) he was too good to overlook. Doesn't mean we don't rate McCartin. I agree we need a kpf but it will be interesting to see how we address that.

The short players is no issue as we are arguably too tall a team that lacks enough run and pressure. I have no issue with smalls so long as they give us better quality run skill and pressure than we have and guys like ablett fogarty kelly and miers look like they will.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back