AFL nepotism, when is enough enough?

Remove this Banner Ad

Frank Gallagher

Diamond Encrusted Unobtainium Premium Member
Aug 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Kate Sheahan being handed a major role at Richmond with next to no experience, also pollutes the airwaves with incoherent nonsense all because her father was a well known Journo, her brother is also a talentless hack who couldn't get a job as a paper boy if his surname wasn't Sheahan.

Sam McClure also says hi, but we can't bad mouth him because his dad died.

Even Carro got her chance purely based off her surname.

How long are we going to have to endure having these people shoved down our throats?

It's very much a Victorian thing and that's obviously where the balance of power lies in the AFL industry. Who your parents are and where you went to school is very helpful in getting jobs.

Journalists are often lazy, entitled cretins that get handouts and justify their biased opinions with bullshit over time.

The constant interviews and players selling out to outlets has caused the entitlement and lazy money to leave a huge stain on AFL culture.

needs a cull.

It's very much a Victorian thing and that's obviously where the balance of power lies in the AFL industry. Who your parents are and where you went to school is very helpful in getting jobs.

It's really no different to any white collar industry tho. We grew up in Thomastown. Having ethnic names, and having gone to schools in the north albeit private schools makes it that little bit tougher. Not to say I'm entitled to anything but I and my sisters have been blatantly looked over in favour of the children of well known people in the same field, despite them having not performed as well at uni (nor gone to better unis). My sister had to beg for a job despite finishing law at Melbourne with honours. She was flat out ignored or rejected with no reasonable reasoning. Only when she pushed did a firm buckle and give her a gig.

The media industry and especially football media, and the AFL corporate underbelly, is a mate's club that hires its own. Its cadetship programs are a known scam because they only end up hiring kids that know people anyway. A friend did a journalism cadetship at the Herald Sun covering AFL and she ended up with a gig at one of the Leader newspapers, while a guy who knew a now-retired and respected Herald Sun journo got a gig working in the researching department (where most journos start their career). He was no good at school, and his teachers placed him at a Leader for his internship as a product of his poor performance. She graduated with honours, he barely scraped through. He ended up on a 50k salary researching stories for the Herald Sun. She's doing cat-in-a-tree stories at Darebin Leader.

Kate Sheahan being handed a major role at Richmond with next to no experience, also pollutes the airwaves with incoherent nonsense all because her father was a well known Journo, her brother is also a talentless hack who couldn't get a job as a paper boy if his surname wasn't Sheahan.

Sam McClure also says hi, but we can't bad mouth him because his dad died.

Even Carro got her chance purely based off her surname.

How long are we going to have to endure having these people shoved down our throats?

Sam McClure although a bit of a w***er is a fine journalist.
Wilson has earned her stripes in a man's world. She's a fantastic journalist even if her moral crusades at times a bit too much.

Kate Sheahan though is a disgraceful commentator and has next to no credentials in clubland. Ridiculous that she was able to get the job she has at Richmond.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Transparency was a problem:
2016: http://www.themercury.com.au/sport/...o/news-story/18602c0b8925c77a5b3f972b0de8d31b
2018:https://www.sbs.com.au/news/afl-greats-worried-about-tasmania-crisis
Also this week, AFL Tasmania chief executive Rob Auld was promoted to the AFL's head of game development, with Tricia Squires to replace him.

.... going swimmingly according to Gil, Rob Auld being brother of Travis*, General Manager AFL Clubs & AFL Operations.
AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan said despite ongoing problems, the situation was improving in Tasmania.

"You look at the numbers at AFL Tasmania in the last two years, there's no doubt we had some challenges, there are some challenges," he said.
"But the challenges were much greater two years ago, in my view.
"The numbers have grown, Auld has done a hell of a job down there (and) we've invested much more money.
"Rob's promotion to the AFL I think is a good thing, it reflects well on the job he's done in Tasmania and reflects well on what's happened down there.

*Travis, remember him, AFL appointee as Suns CEO in 2009, Mr Auld was in the box seat to replace Peter Jackson as Essendon Football Club’s boss when he left the Bombers to become the Suns chief executive in May 2009.
http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au...r/news-story/00c38414c6aaaeda8739f1e1f78eaeb8

Then:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-07-16/auld-not-surprised-by-suns-illicit-drugs-revelations

Sure got reason to question nepotism Gil style, although Andy employed a mate in Adrian Anderson.

Sam McClure although a bit of a ****** is a fine journalist.
Wilson has earned her stripes in a man's world. She's a fantastic journalist even if her moral crusades at times a bit too much.

Kate Sheahan though is a disgraceful commentator and has next to no credentials in clubland. Ridiculous that she was able to get the job she has at Richmond.
McClure is a tabloid AFL 'journalist' that earned his stripes (outside his father's name) through spreading trade gossip and appealing to his demographic (mostly Carlton supporters) and he actually offers bugger all when it comes to actual analysis, footballing or otherwise.

Wilson was/is a good journalist, although being the AFL's mouthpiece on particular issues left a lot to be desired, i.e. North to Gold Coast, which Rohan Connelly called her out on.

Agreed on Sheahan and her brother.

McClure is a tabloid AFL 'journalist' that earned his stripes (outside his father's name) through spreading trade gossip and appealing to his demographic (mostly Carlton supporters) and he actually offers bugger all when it comes to actual analysis, footballing or otherwise.

Wilson was/is a good journalist, although being the AFL's mouthpiece on particular issues left a lot to be desired, i.e. North to Gold Coast, which Rohan Connelly called her out on.

Agreed on Sheahan and her brother.

The North to Gold Coast saga is probably the biggest black mark on an otherwise stellar career.

The North to Gold Coast saga is probably the biggest black mark on an otherwise stellar career.
Agreed, I thought she was quite good with the Essendon stuff. She was a bit weird with James Brayshaw though.

terrible.
kind of like the Dermie/statsman D.King of the AFLW.
so much talking, so little content.

watching the Crows/Dockers game
Sandy Roberts really should be the benchmark for these people
no more special comments. give me two callers of Sandy's quality and get them to call the games.

Agreed, I thought she was quite good with the Essendon stuff. She was a bit weird with James Brayshaw though.

She also did a very good job of calling out Melbourne's issues well before they culminated in 186, and afterwards presented a very strong post-mortem.

It's really no different to any white collar industry tho. We grew up in Thomastown. Having ethnic names, and having gone to schools in the north albeit private schools makes it that little bit tougher. Not to say I'm entitled to anything but I and my sisters have been blatantly looked over in favour of the children of well known people in the same field, despite them having not performed as well at uni (nor gone to better unis). My sister had to beg for a job despite finishing law at Melbourne with honours. She was flat out ignored or rejected with no reasonable reasoning. Only when she pushed did a firm buckle and give her a gig.

The media industry and especially football media, and the AFL corporate underbelly, is a mate's club that hires its own. Its cadetship programs are a known scam because they only end up hiring kids that know people anyway. A friend did a journalism cadetship at the Herald Sun covering AFL and she ended up with a gig at one of the Leader newspapers, while a guy who knew a now-retired and respected Herald Sun journo got a gig working in the researching department (where most journos start their career). He was no good at school, and his teachers placed him at a Leader for his internship as a product of his poor performance. She graduated with honours, he barely scraped through. He ended up on a 50k salary researching stories for the Herald Sun. She's doing cat-in-a-tree stories at Darebin Leader.

Lifes not fair, really?
Academic achievement is a pretty low rung on the ladder of life.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back