Preview AFL Round 19-Geelong Cats vs Sydney Swans, Saturday 8th August 7.20pm, Simonds Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funny how everyone wants Smedts to have a decent go in the team but want to chuck cockatoo after only one quarter, a quarter that was better than anything they turn over merchant Smedts put up.
I think it's more that we need some bigger bodies around the ball vs Sydney, GHS can provide this and he should be rewarded for VFL form. Something has to give unfortunately.

Re: Smedts - he's running at 88% effective disposals this year, I think this turnover theory is a bit of a myth. Not the biggest sample size, I know, but he has improved this significantally YoY which is what you want to see. Nakia has time on his side, Billie has shown much better VFL form and we need to find out where he is at.

Personally, I'd like to see -

In: GHS, Gregson
Out: Lang (rest), Thurlow (rest)

Both have seemed a bit quiet the last few weeks, allows Smedts and Nakia to stay in and brings a bit more grunt to the midfield which will be needed vs the Swans. Looking forward to this game, good test to see where we are at. Have looked better the last few weeks and a win would be a great warm-up for the Hawks.

Last edited:
I am seriously excited about this game. It's rare we get a top shelf opponent down at Simonds let alone a game that means so much this late in the season - the Freo game last year was one and the crowd was electric that night.

Considering the ladder positions of the two teams and the milestones for Selwood and SJ, it should be a great night.

Hopefully capped off with four points and a Crows loss on Friday night!

I just get the feeling Stokes may not get back in, playing youth as a sign that Stoker won't be playing in the hoops next year.
I reckon he might, but as a permanent banker, in the Bluey McGrath fashion. Great way to finish as a one-club player, repay the club for standing by him and would be real asset as an on-field mentor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it has to be Hyphen for Johnson if he is suspended. I think we make to many changes each week, I would like the MC to pick a side and stick with it for a few weeks, going from AFL to VFL to AFL to VFL cant be good for the consistency of players. Stokes is done, don't think we will see him again, Rivers has to come back in if fit.

Maybe Johnson is just being generous and wanted Selwood to celebrate his 200th game milestone on his own without sharing the milestone match with another :p

I'd keep Cockatoo if he is going to play 4 qtrs (baring injury) - if they are going to start him in the vest I would rather see him given 4 qtrs in the VFL because that is better for his development then sitting on the bench for 3/4s in the seniors. He came on during the 3rd quarter, had 28% game time for 4 disposals, none contested & 1 clanger in those disposals (75% efficiency), 3 marks & no tackles; compared to Smedts who in 82% game time had 15 disposals, 7 contested, yes 6 clangers (3 were frees against, but he did earn 1 free also) but went at 80% efficiency, took 6 marks, had 2 tackles & a goal assist - so how about we stop the assassination of Smedts when the facts aren't adding up to this apparent super poor, immediate delisting performance. Maybe Smedts needs a name & number change so people will start judging his games on actually effort & performance rather than having a preconception that he is will be crap so lets ignore how he actually goes.

I actually don't really like the idea of our developing players, especially first & second year players coming on as sub as I think the sub needs to be an impact player, someone who if they don't come on until during the 3rd quarter or later can pick up the pace & intensity of the game and have an impact straight away.
6 clangers says it all. and they were bad clangers that cost shots on goals. really bad clangers.

I think it has to be Hyphen for Johnson if he is suspended. I think we make to many changes each week, I would like the MC to pick a side and stick with it for a few weeks, going from AFL to VFL to AFL to VFL cant be good for the consistency of players. Stokes is done, don't think we will see him again, Rivers has to come back in if fit.
didn't we only make one change last week?

really love our chances in this game. When I saw the betting odds, was very surprised but at the same time, perhaps the bookies know exactly where Sydney are currently at because to be only a 5 point favourite against a team who has not at all troubled any of the current top four teams, it kinda suggests we are due for a good showing against the team we have often matched up really well on.
We also hung around for three quarters in the corresponding game earlier in the year before Sydney put us to the sword when they were in far better form and shape than what they currently are.

A little bit of cohesiveness about the team as well right now. Our midfielders appear to be on the same page with Blicavs while Walker and Hawkins also look to be working a little better than what it was with Clark and Hawkins for whatever reason. Kolodjashnij has given us a little zip too, something we needed in the back half this year.

Us and Richmond will be rooting for you guys this week :)

Huge game in the context of the top 8
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE beat Sydney. This game I am watching with the most interest this round.

Quite like that, at this point in the season, Tigers and Doggies supporters are eyeing off aiming for a top 4 spot.
Richmond supporters have had enough angst regarding finals in recent times and the Dogs supporters were told their team was irrelevant not that long ago.
Enjoy the lead up to finals :thumbsu: and I hope we can knock off the Swans to consolidate our spot in the finals, while helping your two teams to try to remove either the Bondi Billionaires or even.... the Hawks.... delicious!

6 clangers says it all. and they were bad clangers that cost shots on goals. really bad clangers.

And Taylor had 4 clangers with at least one of those leading directly to the Lions only goal of the second quarter - plus an out on the full which went more than a few rows into the crowd, and another kick directly to a Lions player when Smedts was breaking to space boundary side; can't remember if it lead to a goal or score though. But apparently it's ok that Taylor had 4 clangers because he is an experienced player and he took a knock so we allow excuses for that.

Smedts gets the same knock that Taylor took and whats the bet the talk would be "Smedts lacks awareness, he isn't tough enough and needs to give up, etc"?

Smedts wasn't the only player who made errors on Saturday that lead to the opposition scoring, but from the talk on the game review thread, the Billie Under Pressure thread and now even the preview thread, one would be forgiven for thinking he was the only player to ever make a mistake. The kid made some errors, but so did experienced players just as happens each week - but bad luck if your the whipping boy of the week/month, happen to be trying to find opportunities at senior level or the wrong side of 30 because then you will be crucified for it and people want you gone off the list almost immediately.

I reckon he might, but as a permanent banker, in the Bluey McGrath fashion. Great way to finish as a one-club player, repay the club for standing by him and would be real asset as an on-field mentor.
I've heard it mentioned that he's contracted for next year.

Lang for GHS, Stokes in the vest for SJ if he gets suspended.

Gives Cockatoo first crack at it, then able to bring in Stokes in a similar forward/midfield role.

Lang looks like he needs a rest. What's the story with Gregson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back