Preview AFL Round 19-Geelong Cats vs Sydney Swans, Saturday 8th August 7.20pm, Simonds Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Franklin, Tippet and Goodes, to be matched by by
Lonergan, Taylor and Kolodjashnij (or Rivers if the match committee goes that way) in that order. Taylor takes the resting ruckman when Tippet goes in the middle.

Reid has kicked 7 goals for the year, three of which were in a game where Tippet and Franklin weren't playing suggesting that he isn't used up forward when they play. There are question marks on Franklin's fitness. Glancing at there stats it looks like there mids do a lot of damage to the scoreboard.
Most Swans supporters would agree with this. Buddy is 50-50 at best, Tippett has been struggling, plus your defense is still very strong. It's going to come down to breaking even with our mids and stopping Jetta off halfback moving the ball quickly by foot to the likes of Rohan (if he plays) and Cunningham.

I think this will be a high scoring game.

I'd be trying Gore for Lang, he's been struggling with the handle for some time, Kersten should come out but for who? His luck will run out the way he's going, very fortunate. I'd be tempted to play Jansen in his place, couldn't do much worse any case.
Gore for Lang perhaps but Kersten is playing well, when will people realise this? Modern AFL in some roles is just as much if not more about pressure acts, creating space, blocking, and assists than just getting possessions or kicking goals etc. I'm sounding like a broken record but Kersten's role is as a defensive forward. The MC have made a lot of mistakes this year but persisting with Kersten is definitely not one of them. Also just for the record Kersten has played in 11 games this year and we've won 8 of them, we also as a team average 93 points a game with him in the team v 80 as a team average over the whole year - that stat surely is more than mere coincidence, he clearly has a positive effect on the structure and functionality of our forward line.

Last edited:
Most Swans supporters would agree with this. Buddy is 50-50 at best, Tippett has been struggling, plus your defense is still very strong. It's going to come down to breaking even with our mids and stopping Jetta off halfback moving the ball quickly by foot to the likes of Rohan (if he plays) and Cunningham.

I think this will be a high scoring game.
Is Rohan in doubt as well?
Gee, you guys are having a run of bad luck, aren't you?

the bad thing about it is that the two 6s are being talked about as not being with the GFC next season...
Fingers crossed they both sign very very soon!
If I had a choice- Walker rather than Vardy next year.

Menzel in to replace Johnson - We need to have someone to cheer to take the focus off the Goodes Circus. I fear we will not get any favours from the umpires this week (not that we ever do, especially at home). The AFL will be desperate for Sydney to win this for Goodes, so I don't like our chances!

Wondering if the player's as a group have the tank too go 4 quarters ? We were admirable for 3/4's in the first game, but over run in the end....

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Wondering if the player's as a group have the tank too go 4 quarters ? We were admirable for 3/4's in the first game, but over run in the end....

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Our 3rd quarter has been diabolical near all season:( If you take your chance then who knows.

Our 3rd quarter has been diabolical near all season:( If you take your chance then who knows.
I'm hoping that you guys can't put the brakes on us in the first Q. We have won the most first Qs of all teams (1 more than the Hawks, despite playing 1 less game.) If we can get a good start, it will go a long way to giving the young lads some confidence that we can take the Swans down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm hoping that you guys can't put the brakes on us in the first Q. We have won the most first Qs of all teams (1 more than the Hawks, despite playing 1 less game.) If we can get a good start, it will go a long way to giving the young lads some confidence that we can take the Swans down.
Heh. So Cats get 1st & 3rd. Swans get 2nd & 4th quarters. Really looking forward to this game. Think its going to be a ripper.

Changes I would make:

Out - Stevie J, Lang, Kersten.
In - Menzel, GHS, Gregson.

Don't need Kersten with Hawkins & Walker there. Menzel would be beautiful. Then Gregson still there to apply the pressure & hopefully kick a goal or two. GHS deserves a spot for sure & Lang needs a rest. Stokes I would but we don't want not enough pressure in the Forward 50 so going with Gregson. Between Stokes/GHS for me & GHS has deserved it more & is younger as Scotty pointed out is against Stokes.

As much as I like what Kolodjashnij has done since his debut*, I'd be very tempted to bring Jared Rivers in for this game.
If Buddy is out then Lonergan is free to pick up Tippett, and I like the way Rivers and Taylor work together at Simmonds; Rivers can cover Reid or Goodes or whoever is the 2nd Sydney KF and allow Harry to work up the ground a bit more.

* enough to have learned how to spell his ridiculous surname, that's how much..

Gore for Lang perhaps but Kersten is playing well, when will people realise this? Modern AFL in some roles is just as much if not more about pressure acts, creating space, blocking, and assists than just getting possessions or kicking goals etc. I'm sounding like a broken record but Kersten's role is as a defensive forward. The MC have made a lot of mistakes this year but persisting with Kersten is definitely not one of them. Also just for the record Kersten has played in 11 games this year and we've won 8 of them, we also as a team average 93 points a game with him in the team v 80 as a team average over the whole year - that stat surely is more than mere coincidence, he clearly has a positive effect on the structure and functionality of our forward line.
Could have kicked 3-4 last week. Really doing his job. Some people don't value much other then cheap stats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back