Rumour AFL to orchestrate Clarko's move north?

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think any coach is going to fix it. I rated and still rate Dew highly. There's a reason he was sort after by other clubs as well. The issues with the Suns aren't the senior coach. But unfortunately it will be another case of the coach copping the raw end of the stick. Probably ruin any chances of him coaching another side too which I think is a massive loss to the AFL coaching world.

My friend is a pretty Influential sponsor of The Hawks and a couple of weeks ago he said that if Clarko sat out of football for 12 months he was going to the Gold Coast. The AFL want him there, will pay him a ton of cash, raise the profile of the club etc, and didn't want to be seen as getting Dew sacked in the process.
Seems on the ball.

Living up here for the last 12 months and seeing junior football numbers first hand you can see that Queensland is a sleeping giant talent pool for the Loins and Suns. It’s pretty nuts to be honest.
Getting to Metricon Stadium for a few games was also a pleasant surprise. Good viewing, easy access to the ground and did it all in shorts and a Tshirt.
The AFL know exactly what they have growing up here and there will do anything possible to keep the Suns relevant.

Clarko will be key moving forward in my opinion now that Carlton have blown there chance at getting him.
The Suns have some good players and are building that player driven culture from the sound of it with the likes of Miller driving standards.

The Suns should go all in and give Clarko the keys, get something infront of Buckley as the co-pilot, extend the soft cap to get it done and get the whole club re-branded with a decent jumper, better supporter gear that you would actually wear and have all ticketing under 16years of Age free to all supporters to start filling the stadium.
“If you build it, they will come”

Living up here for the last 12 months and seeing junior football numbers first hand you can see that Queensland is a sleeping giant talent pool for the Loins and Suns. It’s pretty nuts to be honest.
Getting to Metricon Stadium for a few games was also a pleasant surprise. Good viewing, easy access to the ground and did it all in shorts and a Tshirt.
The AFL know exactly what they have growing up here and there will do anything possible to keep the Suns relevant.

Clarko will be key moving forward in my opinion now that Carlton have blown there chance at getting him.
The Suns have some good players and are building that player driven culture from the sound of it with the likes of Miller driving standards.

The Suns should go all in and give Clarko the keys, get something infront of Buckley as the co-pilot, extend the soft cap to get it done and get the whole club re-branded with a decent jumper, better supporter gear that you would actually wear and have all ticketing under 16years of Age free to all supporters to start filling the stadium.
Totally agree. Moved to qld from melbourne when i was a kid and to see the growth from then to now(over 30 years) is quite dramatic. Even the growth since the suns started has been huge.

The problem with the suns up here is the qld supporters can be very fickle. When the lions have been down, crowd numbers are extremely bad. Also most of the afl supporters here already had favourite teams.

The gold coast market is also traditionally a graveyard for professional sporting teams. Even the NRL has struggled. The titans were in major strife a few years ago and while they seem to be stable atm, they have played finals 3 times in 15 seasons.

Success brings fans, this is where the suns are in danger of struggling long term, if they can string at least a couple of good seasons together, the support for them will grow. Local kids will want to support the local team if they are good.
The true suns supporters will come from the qld kids that grew up watching the suns, however if they're not being competitive long term, it makes it hard to want to support them.

Branding is terrible also, should have gone with a better name. My eldest asked me why they didn't have a cool name like the hawks do. General consensus among the qld afl supporters i've spoken to is the afl missed an opportunity with the name as kids will gravitate towards things with a stronger association to them eg lions,tigers,kangaroos etc. My 2 youngest like the tigers/cats atm because of the names/ branding and that they were successful in a time where my boys were just starting to gain an interest in afl.

There is huge potential up here for a 2nd successful afl team but the suns desperately need to play finals soon and regularly because it means nothing if the local junior numbers grow but none support them long term.

Last edited:

Totally agree. Moved to qld from melbourne when i was a kid and to see the growth from then to now(over 30 years) is quite dramatic. Even the growth since the suns started has been huge.

The problem with the suns up here is the qld supporters can be very fickle. When the lions have been down, crowd numbers are extremely bad. Also most of the afl supporters here already had favourite teams.

The gold coast market is also traditionally a graveyard for professional sporting teams. Even the NRL has struggled. The titans were in major strife a few years ago and while they seem to be stable atm, they have played finals 3 times in 15 seasons.

Success brings fans, this is where the suns are in danger of struggling long term, if they can string at least a couple of good seasons together, the support for them will grow. Local kids will want to support the local team if they are good.
The true suns supporters will come from the qld kids that grew up watching the suns, however if they're not being competitive long term, it makes it hard for to want to support them.

Branding is terrible also, should have gone with a better name. My eldest asked me why they didn't have a cool name like the hawks do. General consensus among the qld afl supporters i've spoken to is the afl missed an opportunity with the name as kids will gravitate towards things with a stronger association to them eg lions,tigers,kangaroos etc. My 2 youngest like the tigers/cats atm because of the names/ branding and that they were successful in a time where my boys were just starting to gain an interest in afl.

There is huge potential up here for a 2nd successful afl team but the suns desperately need to play finals soon and regularly because it means nothing if the local junior numbers grow but none support them long term.
Don't forget the NRL is about to approve another team in South East Queensland which puts even more pressure on the AFL to make the Suns a success. South East Queensland is growing at a ridiculous rate (about to hit 4 million) and is now a serious battle ground for both codes.

I’m thinking Dew will be on notice to improve the performance of the side, if that doesn’t happen by mid season bye, then there’ll be an interim to see out ‘22.
After that, doesn’t take a lot of imagination

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“I want to do something to give back to the game whether that is with Tassie, indigenous programs or the northern markets, I don’t know yet.” - Alastair Clarkson, September 2021

The true suns supporters will come from the qld kids that grew up watching the suns, however if they're not being competitive long term, it makes it hard to want to support them.

I'd say they liked the winning first, grew to like the brand 2nd. Of course the brand is stronger when you're winning. Cats are hardly a fierce animal. Oh no stop the 4kg domesticated animal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back