Rumour AFL to orchestrate Clarko's move north?

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you think the kind of money the AFL can offer can trump those factors you've raised?

No.

I'm dying to move my family now from Phillip Island but I have a daughter doing year 11 and another doing year 9. We won't be going anywhere until at least the end of next year when my eldest has finished her VCE and our youngest is about to start hers. It's not fair on them otherwise and could have long term ramifications on their futures, particularly the eldest.

I lived in a mining town in outback WA for 7 years with my family and saw plenty of adults absolutely destroy their children's futures. The parents would both be on good money and working 12 hour days, quite a few would pretty much abandon their kids to fend for themselves from 5am to 6:30pm every single day of the year and this would start with kids as young as 5. By the time the kids were high school age they were stuffed for life. If they didn't want to go to boarding school, so mum and dad could continue pulling in 6 figure salaries each per year, then thy were forced to do secondary school via an app on their tablets and as soon as they were old enough, they'd just leave school and sit at home all day sleeping and gaming while mum and dad worked. It was child abuse.

You can always make money, no matter how much or how little, you can't get those early developmental years of your kids back.

Last edited:
Clarko to one of the latest expansion franchises makes total sense but I don't think either of the lists are ready for him next year, so it'll be Collingwood

He's got 450k coming this year to sit on his jacksie doing nothing.... and again the year after if he wants it.

I suspect he'll spend the next 1-2 years doing research & analysing the game then jump back in again with a head full.of fresh ideas.

I find it hard to believe that Caro seemed to be the only one that knew of the coaching issue, but now all of a sudden there are others who know what club he could be going to.

Clarkson confirmed he is available to coach another club next season but said on Friday he was unsure what the future held.

This quote from The Australian is for those who are saying Clarko won't coach next year for whatever reason. He's already confirmed he is available to coach another club next year so you can let that go now.

Clarko has earned, conservatively, at least $10million (probably more like 15) just in earnings from playing and coaching. Add to that his investments and business interests, he is on absolute easy street. Do you really think kids need that much of a leg-up? And if so, does that mean everyone else on a normal income is disadvantaging their kids that much? I haven't missed any reports. Prices are not so bad that you need to have Alastair Clarkson as your dad to have a good life. A lot of people who whinge about not being able to buy a house have unrealistic expectations, or they are too undisciplined to forego their luxuries and actually save some money. I mean, sure, a bit of help is nice, but you don't need daddy to hand you $500k to get your start. Anyway, just saying Clarko is the last person you would be applying "the providing for his family narrative" to. He's loaded. I doubt he's fussed at all about his finances. He'd be looking for the next challenge that gets him motivated.

Agreed.

The only reason Clarko will go to GC is if Clarko wants to go to GC.

Of course, if he does want to go to GC, that won’t stop him getting remunerated very very well by the AFL.

If this rumour was true, then the first step would be to remove Dew shortly after the season ends...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If this rumour was true, then the first step would be to remove Dew shortly after the season ends...
Not sure Clarko we’d be too happy with that. He’s fiercely loyal to his mates, and Dew is one.

I was certain he would head to the Suns but have a sneaky suspicion Cameron will be in trouble if GWS don’t play finals

^This is what I've been saying all along.

Clarko can afford a year out with some extra $$$ from Media next year.

Leon Cameron is contracted until the end of 2022 so GWS miss finals or fail to make an imapct this year and I can see the AFL throwing a motza at Clarko to try to buy them their first Premiership

In the HUN today.

CLARKSON AND THE GOLD COAST SUNS
The Gold Coast Suns excitement is believed to be reaching fever pitch at the growing prospect of securing Clarkson themselves.

The Suns’ executive are making changes behind the scenes with senior coach Stuart Dew’s tenure seriously precarious and the club crunching the numbers on a potential pay out.

Football boss Jon Haines appears to also be in the gun, with a possible exit as early as Tuesday.

A Gold Coast local is already in the Suns sights to take over as head of footy.

Clarkson has a link to the Suns through chief executive Mark Evans.

And the club has a lot to offer with AFL backing, an improving list with stars like Touk Miller, Ben King and Matt Rowell and the liveability of south east Queensland.

If Clarkson took a trip north he could write his own ticket, choose his own assistants and demand a pay cheque in the vicinity of $2m a year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back