Women's Footy AFL Womens Grand Final should not be a curtain raiser.

Remove this Banner Ad

The blurred lines or cross contamination of the tribunal, umpiring, rules, contact, tackling, concussion will play directly into the hands of societies whingers and the single mums who prefer soccer.

It's a fine line between propping up a feminine AFL and keeping a contact sport from losing its appeal.

Rubbish.

For the life of me I just don't get statements like this. Why do you have a problem with women now receiving the same opportunities that men have for over 100 years in regards to sport?
I don't have a problem with it

They shouldn't combine it with mens telecast though

There is sooo much water yet to go under the bridge with respect to the women's comp, the word "novelty" may well offend some but in this comps initial stages that is exactly how people are going to treat it, initial crowds will probably be quite good as will TV ratings and media coverage, primarily because it is a new concept, and one that has been given quite a bit of exposure over the last 7-8 months. The proof will be in the numbers as the first season progresses and as it moves into future seasons, crowds and ratings will no doubt take a hit as people with that initial interest and curiosity start to drop off, the big challenge for this comp will be to try and ensure that a supporter base is grown out of the early momentum that this comp is sure to have, the success of this league will be based upon who keeps coming back and watching as opposed to who turned up and watched for the first couple of weeks before the novelty wore off. Once these numbers have steadied a bit, I think then would be a good time to start talking about things like where GF's should be played and how much the girls should be paid - at the end of the day it should be based on the consumers demand for the product, it's impossible to know what that is going to be just yet, I'm a supporter of the concept and I hope it takes off but it needs to grow before that can happen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If people want to watch what would rank as well below the best few hundred football competitions in the country simply because it's aligned with the existing AFL clubs and solely composed of female players, well good on them. the AFL of course will promote the heck out of it to market the inclusiveness and appeal of the sport and hopefully broaden it's playing and spectating market, and of course artifiically inflate crowd and viewer numbers by scheduling the final as a curtain raiser. and why not, heck we get little league at half time, and look at the crowds for that!

I've never understood people who jump to arguments like these.

No one has said anything like this. Nothing that has been suggested has even came close to this.

Do you actually think it's a well-made argument? I'm legitimately curious. Did you type that and pat yourself on the back like "point well made" or were you well aware of how stupid it is to try to pretend it's relevant to anything?

Yes, you don't understand the point.. thank you for admitting to your ignorance and if I'm bored I'll explain it to you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back