AFLW General AFLW Talk Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

mmm
The women's Grand final should absolutely have it's own timeslot, the only dumb part is that the AFL has waited until the week of the game to realise this.

Also, I guarantee you weren't interested in Bulldogs vs Gold Coast anyway and are just feigning outrage because God forbid the AFL put resources into something you don't like.

The AFL should grow some genuine cajones and schedule the AFLW Grand Final as a standalone Friday night game next year. Why the fu** not. Even if the game isn't entertaining the whinging about it would be.
That's because GF is played at the top ranked team's home ground so that's why they are so flippant about it. Once it gets locked in to the MCG for 50 years, watch the AFL's attitude change.

The whole AFLW season should be played separately from the whole AFL season, that's just really obvious and I'm not sure what the overlap is trying to achieve.
100%

The whole AFLW season should be played separately from the whole AFL season, that's just really obvious and I'm not sure what the overlap is trying to achieve.

How is that achievable though? Would it be possible to play footy even more over the summer / before Christmas?

I'm not sure what the solution is as to when to play the season, bit at the very least I'd be trying to give the majority of the finals series clear air. Maybe once the rest of the teams are in the season could be played out so that the last 3 weeks of finals are played during the bye weeks so that they can be scheduled in their own timeslots.

Which is interesting considering the 2019 Prelim had 40k+ when entry was free. Remember when they claimed that attendance wouldn't change with the addition of ticket pricing?

All free again this time. Got offered four adult tickets via sanfl for free last night. Again they will pretend it's real interest when they are taken up

How is that achievable though? Would it be possible to play footy even more over the summer / before Christmas?

I'm not sure what the solution is as to when to play the season, bit at the very least I'd be trying to give the majority of the finals series clear air. Maybe once the rest of the teams are in the season could be played out so that the last 3 weeks of finals are played during the bye weeks so that they can be scheduled in their own timeslots.

Should just be a summer comp. Start it whenever, have a two week break over Christmas/New Year, play the GF in March the week prior to the AFL season starting.

Was good to hear Bec Goddard on The Front Bar calling for all 18 clubs to have a team in the AFLW.

Should just be a summer comp. Start it whenever, have a two week break over Christmas/New Year, play the GF in March the week prior to the AFL season starting.

Hmmmm. Its possible with the absolute farce of a competition set up going on now, with only 14 teams and not everyone playing each other, sure, but surely in the medium term and beyond we want the competition to have at least every team playing each other once. That would need 17 weeks + 4 weeks of finals for a total of 21 weeks. There are 24 weekends between the Grand final ending and the start of the season. Take out the 2 weeks of Christmas / New Year and you'd be left with 22 weeks, so it would be technically doable but I don't think 49 weekends of footy a year is practical.

At some point the AFL is going to have to come up with a way to have the two coexist alongside each other without the AFLW getting overridden. I'm not sure how its possible, but I'd be at least trying to get the Grand Final as a marquee event. Maybe it could be held during the pre-finals bye?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port Adelaide NGA player Lauren Young had 37 disposals, 9 tackles, 5 clearances and a goal as a 15 year old in the AFLW U19 championships against the Allies. This is a record for most disposals recorded in that competition.

Hopefully we are in the comp and in a position to list her in her draft year.

Is there a problem with that? If they play more and generate more revenue, they can get paid more.

Actually watching McGuire last night wax lyrical about the AFLW, watching his beady little eyes gleaming, it was just so clear just how the greedy and corrupt joint initiative that is the AFL/Victorian Government has so craftily latched onto the zeitgeist and turned it into the next money making strategy for the AFL/VIC State Coffers. The way they have circumnavigated and outflanked far more deserving female sports is quite amazing, but given the reach and popularity of the game I guess it's unsurprising. In 5 years they've created a building juggernaut out of a completely terrible product, just by pushing and pushing it, through their vast commercial and broadcasting avenues, to the point where government and sponsors feel they have to get on board. A brand new source of free money for already the biggest and richest sports body in the country. Propaganda 101. It'll be a case study in University courses in the future.

If it is a summer comp it has to be mainly a night comp. Playing 2 or 3 games in 35+ degrees is ok, but 6 or 7 isn't.

18 teams means at least a 12 week comp if you run conferences. Don't think 17 matches per team + finals is going to attract as much attention over a 5 month comp compared to a 3 month comp finishing in early March.

The AFL broadcasters wouldn't want to be going up against the Tennis in January and the BBL if it gets back to a tight 6 week mid December to late January schedule.

Finding enough ovals that are decent standard and not competing with cricket might be an issue. SCG, Gabba, Adelaide Oval, Bellreive in Hobart wont be available during the whole season if the season finishes say by the weekend of 8th March and the blokes start their season on 15th or whatever the Thursday Richmond v Carlton season opener is.

If in 2026 Port's AFLW get the GF hosting rights and the GF is the 7th March and a sheffield shield game is on at AO and mid game, would the AFL let us play it at Alberton??

If it is a summer comp it has to be mainly a night comp. Playing 2 or 3 games in 35+ degrees is ok, but 6 or 7 isn't.

18 teams means at least a 12 week comp if you run conferences. Don't think 17 matches per team + finals is going to attract as much attention over a 5 month comp compared to a 3 month comp finishing in early March.

The AFL broadcasters wouldn't want to be going up against the Tennis in January and the BBL if it gets back to a tight 6 week mid December to late January schedule.

Finding enough ovals that are decent standard and not competing with cricket might be an issue. SCG, Gabba, Adelaide Oval, Bellreive in Hobart wont be available during the whole season if the season finishes say by the weekend of 8th March and the blokes start their season on 15th or whatever the Thursday Richmond v Carlton season opener is.

If in 2026 Port's AFLW get the GF hosting rights and the GF is the 7th March and a sheffield shield game is on at AO and mid game, would the AFL let us play it at Alberton??

Venues are no issue, clubs mostly play at their AFL training bases anyway.

Night or twilight games can be done.

And going up against the BBL and/or tennis is surely preferable to going up against yourself.

The competition eventually needs to expand beyond its "gimmicky tournament" vibe. There's been an attempt to do that by expanding the season but eating into the AFL competition rather than pushing back earlier into summer was the wrong call.

And going up against the BBL and/or tennis is surely preferable to going up against yourself.
TV and AFL executive bonuses aren't set that way.

Is there a problem with that? If they play more and generate more revenue, they can get paid more.

That's the point. Outside of AFL Pravda the generate revenue parts a massive lie. As it is the more they play the less they will be watched. Look at the prelim crowds and everything in SA, for a Crows team in great weather and cheap tickets for what is a premiere finals event. The wheels feel off and it is the AFL/W's own fault.

17000 seats 'sold', free for under 18's and ten bucks for adults, I don't reckon the gate takings will be too flash but the SMA will make a killing.

Define sold? The four adult tickets offered per SANFL junior is 'sold'? Mine were offered four and neither have AFC as their supported club so it's gone out to every junior on the SANFL books.

It should be played from October to March. That’s 6 months, and it would make football a year-round sport.

It already is in Australia.

AFLNT Darwin League is played from October to March

Remove this Banner Ad

Back