AFL X - seven-a-side football - The X makes it sound cool.

Is a modified game of Aussie rules on a soccer pitch a good idea?

• Yes

• No

• I'd need more info on it

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remember lads I am Wolverine and you will be my X-Men

jEfrP0vJzA54YU8AzPnVnv8R2Tr_EWB_7rU3XM5X8ZgzrPRU9v4x3XzSOZbNkYlM9w6vp1ClWVshtESLzRQBm_l1iRQa6AHRLPQBhrAdjKbEN-U_J7nW2EbZhMJNIO96NUw43bQJ-9wNGOQq=w497-h296-nc

Yeah that's it AFL, take an idea (admittedly with 9 players) that has been in practice for years overseas and run by grass roots organisations for the love of the game, for a couple decades now, and rename it and call it your own.
Couldn't be more typical of the AFL if they tried.
I wonder how much they paid the consultants for this idea?

Like backpackers to a sperm bank, bogans began to gravitate towards any product with a large (often colourful) ‘X’ on the packaging. The trend was slow in forming. First, perhaps, was Xmas. The bogan, with its love of tXt-friendly abbreviations – well before tXting X-isted

Pepsi wanted to sell diet pepsi to bogan males, so labelled it Pepsi MAX. pr0n wasn’t proper pr0n unless it was XXX. Simon Cowell realised that Pop Idol was s**t, so made it again and called it X-Factor, and conquered the UK. Functional water absolutely had to have a variety called XXX. Hollywood X-ecutives also moved in. They created the X-Files to fan the flames of bogan conspiracy theories. They then skipped a whole bunch of steps in the creative process – including plot, character and script – and did two things; hired Vin Diesel and made a film called XXX, secure in the knowledge that bogans would flock to see a film with that many Xs

https://thingsboganslike.com/tag/x/

The AFL knows what it is doing...

Hate 20/20 cricket and hate this idea.

At least 20/20 cricket has a point. It's hard to appeal to a wider audience with 5 day matches - the 'thrills' in test cricket are often acts of grit, determination, concentration. Hardly translates to big $$$. So at least 20/20 cricket is quick, good for sponsorship and easy on the eye (well, the untrained eye).

AFL 7's by the sounds of it would take an hour or so (4x10 minute quarters + breaks) as opposed to the 2.5 hours we have now? The main point I feel is they want to play it on rectangle fields (FIELDS) but why not stick with the AFL 9's thing, it's got a name brand already and you can just add tackling/bumping, and play it on a rectangle ...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here in NSW we used to play a game as kids called Force 'em backs, or forwards and backs. Imagine you're on a soccer ground or rugby ground, and you start with 7 players on each team, facing each other from opposite ends of the ground. And the idea is to just boot the ball backwards and forwards until you're close enough to kick the ball over the bar.

I'd pay damn good money to watch that.

...they desperately wanted something to fill the Dec-Jan flat spot and compete with cricket/tennis etc then I'd be heading up to Darwin and running an AFL 9's or maybe something like this stacked with speedy and skillful Indigenous players. That's the only footy I'd be interested in that time of year.
The NTFL runs from Oct-March.

Here in NSW we used to play a game as kids called Force 'em backs, or forwards and backs. Imagine you're on a soccer ground or rugby ground, and you start with 7 players on each team, facing each other from opposite ends of the ground. And the idea is to just boot the ball backwards and forwards until you're close enough to kick the ball over the bar.

I'd pay damn good money to watch that.

Have played that, we used to do something similar and called it forcing back, probably the same name but maybe i misunderstood the pronunciation, if you kick the ball and someone on the other side caught it they would get and extra five steps before they had to kick it, basically the longest kicks win, but if sides were relatively equal the game could go on for hours.

If you did not mark the ball the ball was kicked from where it landed on the full, the trick was to kick long into open spaces so the oppostion did not mark it and therefore gain a 5 or 10 metre advantage, before they had to kick it.

The NTFL runs from Oct-March.
Yeah I know, I'd be suggesting to create a short round robin comp with the best talent from up there plus retired AFL players, quality state league players, whatever else you can get and host it up there where guys are playing. I'm sure there would be a way to minimise disruption to the NTFL teams. It could go for 6 weeks or it could go for 3 days.

Back