Preview AFLW 2017 R2 vs Melbourne (Saturday, 11th Feb, 7.40pm @ PRINCES PARK) - VENUE CHANGED

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
AFLW - R2 | COLLINGWOOD vs MELBOURNE

DATE:
Saturday 11 February
GATES OPEN: 6.15pm
FIRST BOUNCE: 7.40pm
WHERE: Princes Park
GATES: 5 + 6
ADMISSION: Free

PARKING:
No parking at Princes Park this week
PUBLIC TRANSPORT: No.19 tram (City-North Coburg) runs from the city to Royal Parade while Parkville train station (Upfield line) is a short walk away from the ground.

TV:
Live on: 7, Fox, AFL app, afl.com.au

TEAMS

Collingwood
B:
Tara Morgan (26), Stacey Livingstone (12), Meg Hutchins (25)
HB: Stephanie Chiocci (17), Nic Stevens (21), Cecilia McIntosh (20)
C: Amelia Barden (38)
HF: Jess Cameron (27), Jasmine Garner (43), Alicia Eva (2)
F: Sarah D’Arcy (4), Moana Hope (23), Emma Grant (5)
Foll: Emma King (60), Brittany Bonnici (8), Bree White (33)
Int: Christina Bernardi (6), Lou Wotton (19), Penny Cula-Reid (3), Melissa Kuys (9), Sophie Casey (22), Caitlyn Edwards (1)
Emg: Lauren Tesoriero (7), Ruby Schleicher (18)

IN: Melissa Kuys, Penny Cula-Reid, Lou Wotton
OUT: Lauren Tesoriero (omitted), Ruby Schleicher (omitted), Helen Roden (omitted)

Melbourne
B:
Meg Downie (2), Mia-Rae Clifford (44), Katherine Smith (13)
HB: Daisy Pearce (6), Laura Duryea (11), Shelley Scott (20)
C: Elise O’Dea (5)
HF: Karen Paxman (4), Deanna Berry (7), Lily Mithen (14)
F: Sarah Lampard (8), Jessica Anderson (28), Cat Phillips (35)
Foll: Harriet Cordner (21), Lauren Pearce (15), Mel Hickey (18)
Int: Emma Humphries (3), Aliesha Newman (16), Sarah Jolly (10), Jasmine Grierson (19), Maddy Boyd (25), Alyssa Mifsud (9)

Emg: Ainslie Kemp (36), Brooke Patterson (24)

IN: Sarah Jolly
OUT: Richelle Cranston (suspended)

PREVIEW

While it was a bumper weekend for women's footy with huge crowds including the much talked about lock out at Princes Park both Collingwood and Melbourne will be looking to produce their first win on the field. Last weekend seen Collingwood lose to Carlton (1.5 11 to 7.4 45) and Melbourne lose at home to Brisbane (1.4 10 to 4.1 25) in a game so wild and wet that the second quarter was halted part way through due to lightening.

The dees appear to have a strong midfield lineup with Paxman (24), Pearce (19), O'Dea (18), Mithen (14), Hickey (13), Downie (11) and Scott (11) all racking up double digit disposals. The 'pies had just the 5 players do likewise (Barden (14 touches), D'Arcy (14), Edwards (11), Hutchins (10) and White (10)) with none reaching the highs of Melbourne's top 3 possession winners.

The talk coming out of the Collingwood camp is that we need to be more composed and smarter with our use of the footy especially when going forward.

EVA: smarter with our ball use, when we used more shape we got the ball inside 50

SIEKMAN: Tonight we needed to be a bit more composed. We needed to be a bit braver and take the game on

HOPE: need to lower eyes going forward​

Reading through discussion on our threads it seems most are in agreement with this assessment. We don't look to be the quickest side and at times our skills like all teams can be a little hit and miss, so I definitely feel we need to take our time moving the footy to ensure we pick the right option. Other sides had great success slowing the game down via short kicks to players in space before bursting forward and it's something we need to emulate. With more time I reckon cleaner hands would result, which was one of our issues on the weekend.

We can also take lessons from our opponent on Friday night. While we had more players around the footy and best Carlton with more kicks (115 to 112) the blues had a heap more handballs (48 to 86). The scoreboard and play tells the story that this tactic was successful. Despite a beastly 87 tackles by the 'pies Carlton were able to effectively handball the footy around and through the packs and congestion in order to find a player in space to clear and run the footy. I don't know that stats from our practice game, but the 'dogs also caught us out on the break and rebound, so it's something we need to be mindful of. I'd like to see us keep more players behind the footy to counter these breaks and crowd the oppositions forward line as it was way too open against ‘dogs and blues.

Edwards and Hutchins are both effective defenders who are very capable of running the footy and using these two as spare backs is worth considering. Edwards has more agility of the two, however Hutchins ability to run straight lines with strength shouldn't be discountered especially as she's one of the few who can roost the footy 50m.

Others we should look to in space are Chiocci who's a classy player with the ability to find, McIntosh who looks our quickest player and Grant (injury permitting) who's loss to injury in the second quarter Siekman described as hurting our run and drive in the middle.

Further up the field Cameron and D'Arcy both were effective when they were able to lead up into space outside our forward 50, however I think D'Arcy played her best footy when released as a utility around the ground.

In terms of our forward line there's no doubt we were too focused on Hope, which allowed Carlton to get multiple players around her. The other player who seemed to be our deep target was Bernardi and while she got in great positions, she seemed to get pushed off the ball a bit at times. Creating space in our forward line plus better and smarter delivery should be our number one forward priority, however consideration should also be given to playing Wotton this week alongside our other 2 rucks in King and Schleicher. While King was dominant early in the ruck and gave great service to our mids playing Wotton would allow her to play more minutes forward. Against the 'dogs King provided great presence as a deep forward and her size would certainly trouble opposition defences. Despite King's height she also doesn't lack defensive pressure, which would cause further havoc to the opposition backline.

Carlton were also very effective kicking the ball off the ground when under pressure or running one on one with their 'pies opponent and I wonder if we should look to implement this and other wet weather tactics like simply knocking the footy forward to gain territory when space presents.

Melbourne enter the match without quick and aggressive forward Cranston who's accepted her week suspension and the 'pies will be hoping Grant (concussion), Chiocci (concussion/cut above eye), Livingstone (shoulder), Roden (corked thigh) and AFLW first goal kicker Garner (ankle) are cleared of their injury concerns.

With the wild and wet conditions at Casey Fields not a lot can be taken from the Melbourne game in terms of structures and tactics. On a dry day Melbourne went down to Carlton in their practice match on 21 January by a similar margin to us, so hopefully this a good sign for cracking contest between 2 traditional rivals.

WOMEN'S LISTS and PROFILES

COLLINGWOOD: http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/season/womens-football/aflw-player-profiles

161212_aflwtile.jpg

161212_walkertile.jpg

Georgia Walker
#31 MID/FWD

Name | Ht | Age
\1. Caitlyn Edwards
|167cm |20
\2. Alicia Eva |163cm |25
\3. Penny Cula-Reid |164cm |28
\4. Sarah D'Arcy |171cm |25
\5. Emma Grant |166cm| 27
\6. Christina Bernardi |167cm |26
\7. Lauren Tesoriero |170cm |29
\8. Brittany Bonnici |163cm |19
\9. Melissa Kuys |166cm |29
\10. Kendra Heil |168cm |28
\11. Helen Roden |175cm |30
\12. Stacey Livingstone |176cm |28
\17. Stephanie Chiocci |170cm |27
\18. Ruby Schleicher |175cm |18
\19. Lou Wotton |178cm| 33
\20. Cecilia McIntosh |161cm |37
\21. Nicola Stevens |173cm |23
\22. Sophie Casey |165cm |25
\23. Moana Hope |170cm |28
\24. Kate Sheahan |165cm |35
\25. Meg Hutchins |174cm |34
\26. Tara Morgan |168cm |27
\27. Jessica Cameron |162cm |27
\31. Georgia Walker |166cm |18
\33. Bree White |158cm |35
\38. Amelia Barden |167cm |23
\43. Jasmine Garner |175cm |20
\60. Emma King| 186cm|22

MELBOURNE: http://www.melbournefc.com.au/season/players

Last edited:
Just 11 days after stating it's unlikely anymore of our games would be moved from Olympic Park not surprisingly Lethlean (AFL GM) is now saying that our game against Melbourne might be moved to a bigger venue. What's surprisingly is the AFL is considering a double header with the Carlton vs GWS game at Princes Park.

Currently the Carlton game is scheduled for 5.05pm and our match is scheduled for 7.40pm. There might need to be some slight adjustment to the starting times, but it seems doable.

In terms of capacity it doesn't really make any more sense than Olympic Park though. Carlton vs Collingwood themselves drew too many for the ground let alone adding another 1,000 to 2,000 GWS fans and 12,000 to 15,000 Melbourne fans to the mix. As we seen last night supporters are wanting to wait around after the game and I'm sure most Carlton fans will hang around for the second match and 40-45k into a 24k stadium doesn't add up. Even allowing for 10,000 neutral fans would mean 35k wanting to see both matches.

If the double header goes ahead I feel there's going to be a lot of angry Collingwood and Melbourne fans locked out because they don't wish to sit through the earlier game. Personally I have no interest in watching Carlton vs GWS and I hope the AFL choses one of the other 2 or 3 options being considered.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-01-23/piesblues-aflw-opener-moved-to-ikon-park
Lethlean 23 January said:
"This (match) is our main concern at this stage, because it's the first game and it's two of the biggest clubs in Victoria. We don't expect any other capacity issues at any games but it's a flexible new competition. We can do what we need to do to maximise exposure and access," he said.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-02-...-venues?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
Lethlean 3 February said:
AFL general manager of game and market development Simon Lethlean said next Saturday night's clash between Collingwood and Melbourne could be moved from Olympic Park Oval to Ikon Park.

In that instance, the League could stage a double-header fixture at Ikon Park with Carlton and Greater Western Sydney due to play at the venue next Saturday evening.

"It's a possibility now that we know the ground's got a good capacity, people can get here OK and the lights work well," Lethlean said.

"We'll have a think about it across the weekend but we'll do what's right so we can have the most people coming to the ground."

Lethlean said the appropriate considerations would also be put in place for the AFLW Grand Final scheduled at a yet-to-be-announced venue on March 25.

The AFLW decider coincides with round one of the AFL fixture and Lethlean said home ground advantage, venue availability and other factors would be assessed.

"It certainly means that we'll have to think about the best place to hold it so the most people can come," Lethlean said.

"We'll work out three or four options and have a good chat about all of them, but it certainly shows that there's interest in the game."

Last edited:

I agree barrackers. A double header would be great for women's footy fans, bad for Collingwood and Melbourne fans. If Collingwood and Melbourne supporters can't get into the game they may as well leave it at Olympic Park.

Not so relevant to our match but a 5PM start is far from ideal at Ikon in the summer with half the ground looking into the sun. Maybe the neutrals would choose to go to our match over the earlier game which could create more problems with people trying to get into a Pies Dees match.

I agree barrackers. A double header would be great for women's footy fans, bad for Collingwood and Melbourne fans. If Collingwood and Melbourne supporters can't get into the game they may as well leave it at Olympic Park.

Not so relevant to our match but a 5PM start is far from ideal at Ikon in the summer with half the ground looking into the sun. Maybe the neutrals would choose to go to our match over the earlier game which could create more problems with people trying to get into a Pies Dees match.
Carlton vs GWS could easily draw 15 to 20k on it's own, at best that only leaves 5k to 10k for Collingwood and Melbourne fans. The capacity of Olympic Park is 5k, so there's not much difference in terms of numbers of people who would get locked out albeit as you say more fans of women's footy in general would be able to see both games.

While luckily the side of the ground with more seats is in the shade 5pm is a terrible time for Princes Park games. Our match was only able to be played there at night after the AFL hired temporary lighting, so obviously that was a factor in the original scheduling. There's no doubt the big crowds have caught the AFL out (I was expecting around 5 to 10k for each match), but there doesn't seem to have been much thought put into the practicality of the fixture to met the needs of supporters.

Thanks.

Steph Chiocci is the one we hate to lose as she looked our Best Player last night

That is a Real Disappointment to loose so many in the 1st Game
With only a cut over her eye she seems the most likely of the 5 to play next week.

If Roden is fit I'd like her to play up forward where and hopefully she can use her size and athleticism to bring the ball to ground.

and Don't have to Rely 100% on Hope

and Don't have to Rely 100% on Hope
Good call Dave, the coaching dept and players need to use Moana as a decoy and drop the eyes to other free players.
More a tactical issue.

Once we have other game plans the players will need to be accountable and Mo will have more one on ones and scoring will flow..

It will be good to watch the rested the season unfold

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe this is a little simplistic - but after watching the other games of the weekend, I'm of the thinking that we really need to stop dropping so many chest marks.

If you've ever played the game, there tends to be two reasons why a chest mark is dropped: fatigue and/or distraction. The girls were fatigued, and they're gonna have to learn to perform under fatigue. Carlton did that way better than us.

And the distraction of a full house watching, plus hundreds of thousands of people watching on TV and the significance of the evening. Again, the girls are going to have to get used to that if they're playing for Collingwood. Our game needs more chest marks.

If Roden is fit I'd like her to play up forward where and hopefully she can use her size and athleticism to bring the ball to ground.

I wouldn't mind this either. We got more than our fair share of the ball on Friday night but Carlton set up really well in the backline and were able to counter attack really quickly with the extra numbers down back. I'd like to see us throw more numbers up forward and feel like we might be able to generate more scoring chances that way. I can only run off what I saw on Friday but if we want to play through Hope I think the other defenders need to be kept accountable at the very least, no forward is going to beat 2-3 defenders regularly.

I enjoyed Friday night (scoreline aside) and looking forward to more matches.

I wouldn't mind this either. We got more than our fair share of the ball on Friday night but Carlton set up really well in the backline and were able to counter attack really quickly with the extra numbers down back. I'd like to see us throw more numbers up forward and feel like we might be able to generate more scoring chances that way. I can only run off what I saw on Friday but if we want to play through Hope I think the other defenders need to be kept accountable at the very least, no forward is going to beat 2-3 defenders regularly.

I enjoyed Friday night (scoreline aside) and looking forward to more matches.

198-163 disposals in Carlton's favour, but my impression was that we had most of the ball in the first half. We had more inside 50s (27-25), which is probably the more telling indicator of the wasted opportunities.

198-163 disposals in Carlton's favour, but my impression was that we had most of the ball in the first half. We had more inside 50s (27-25), which is probably the more telling indicator of the wasted opportunities.
The difference in disposals basically is a result of Carlton having a lot more handballs, we pretty much matched them for kicks. That to me says that despite having more numbers around the ball we didn't take our time setting things up and as a result our kicks were rushed and poorly thought out. Conversely Carlton were effective in handballing their way out of congestion and packs, which offset our greater numbers around the footy and allowed them to get the quick break to an open forward line.

The difference in disposals basically is a result of Carlton having a lot more handballs, we pretty much matched them for kicks. That to me says we didn't take our time setting things up and as a result our kicks were rushed and poorly thought out.

Yes, I think that's about it. All three of the games so far have a similar storyline (i.e. the winning team having a lot more handballs). Having said that, none of the other losing teams had nearly as much inside 50 opportunities as we did, which I'll take as a positive.

Good call Dave, the coaching dept and players need to use Moana as a decoy and drop the eyes to other free players.
More a tactical issue.

Once we have other game plans the players will need to be accountable and Mo will have more one on ones and scoring will flow..

It will be good to watch the rested the season unfold
Interestingly before the game one of the commentators indicated that Hope was going to stay in the goal square, which Carlton must have also known as they took full advantage. I was surprised in one instance where Hope marked and was within distance decided to play on and kicked a point.

Think that we prepared for one game plan and either due to lack of player flexibly or poor coaching weren't able to adapt.

Really hope we can improve as at this stage, from what I have seen there are at least three other teams better than us at this stage.

Need to finish top two to play finals.

The difference in disposals basically is a result of Carlton having a lot more handballs, we pretty much matched them for kicks. That to me says that despite having more numbers around the ball we didn't take our time setting things up and as a result our kicks were rushed and poorly thought out. Conversely Carlton were effective in handballing their way out of congestion and packs, which offset our greater numbers around the footy and allowed them to get the quick break to an open forward line.
I noticed a couple of times Chiocci got into a good position for handball receive but instead we'd just hack it forward.

Interestingly before the game one of the commentators indicated that Hope was going to stay in the goal square, which Carlton must have also known as they took full advantage. I was surprised in one instance where Hope marked and was within distance decided to play on and kicked a point.

Think that we prepared for one game plan and either due to lack of player flexibly or poor coaching weren't able to adapt.

Really hope we can improve as at this stage, from what I have seen there are at least three other teams better than us at this stage.

Need to finish top two to play finals.
Then we would almost have to beat Melbourne next Friday so stay a Chance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back