Preview AFLW 2018 R7 v Adelaide (Sunday, 18th Mar, 2.35pm (EDT) @ Holden Centre Olympic Park)

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW - R7 | COLLINGWOOD vs Adelaide

DATE: Sunday 18th March
GATES OPEN:
FIRST BOUNCE:
2.35pm (EDT)
WHERE: Holden Centre, Olympic Park
ADMISSION: Free entry
TICKETING INFO:

PARKING: https://www.mopt.com.au/arriving-and-access/parking/
PUBLIC TRANSPORT: https://www.mopt.com.au/arriving-and-access/public-transport/

TV: http://www.afl.com.au/womens/matches/broadcastguide
Live on: Fox, AFL app (no free to air in Victoria this week), 7mate (Adelaide only)

CLUB INFO:

LAST TIME:
2017 Round 7 - Holden Centre, Olympic Park

http://www.afl.com.au/womens/matches/match-centre?matchid=100640703&competitionid=10064

Collingwood 7.4 (46)
Adelaide 10.10 (70)

upload_2018-3-14_19-16-35.png

PREVIEW:

In just our second Melbourne home match for the year we meet reigning premiers Adelaide, who may have a lot to play for or nothing. Similarly we may have a lot to play or nothing ourselves.

Adelaide
Providing Melb/WB do not draw Adelaide make the grand final if:
  • Adelaide win and Brisbane defeats GWS
  • Unlikely - if GWS win or draw Adelaide would need to smash us (they're currently 11% behind GWS) [GWS lost]
Sunday becomes a dead rubber (Adelaide out of GF contention) if:
  • Melbourne and the 'dogs draw or
  • GWS smashes Brisbane
Collingwood

Providing Freo/Carlton draw we only avoid the spoon if:
  • We win or draw against Adelaide
Sunday becomes a dead rubber for us if:
  • Freo/Carl isn't a draw

Despite the final scoreline last year we gave Adelaide a good run for their money with a tight match for much of the first three quarters. Ultimately though Adelaide had a heap to play for a blew the game apart in the last quarter. Phillips' 3 goals (thanks in part to drawing high free kicks that Selwood/s would be proud of) and Perkins' 4 goals went a long way to setting up the crows victory.

Like us this year Adelaide also had a slow start to the year as Phillips sat on the sidelines due to injury. Seemingly she's still carrying this, but remains just as important to the crows hopes of a grand final berth.

If we're to win this week it will be through defence and the midfield. We can't afford another Phillips/Perkins combo and our mids needs to get on top of Marinoff and Randall. I'd look to Bonnici to tag one of the latter. Win the battle there and with we have forward options to threaten the scoreboard.

It's been pleasing to see the group respond with show strong showings in recent weeks. Despite our slow start the year hasn't been a complete bust with new players and new roles for existing players promising, including better utilising Hope's strengths and some 2017 magpies like Bernardi improving significantly. Given the way each club shaped their list for 2018 I think it's fair to say that our club would be a lot more pleased with the year than Carlton and indeed with our own 2017. That in itself brings a smile.

Hopefully what we've learnt this year holds us in good stead for 2019 and we're able to hit that new season closer to our best.

TEAMS:

COLLINGWOOD

B: E.Grant 5, J.Duffin 27, A.Brazill 10
HB: C.Molloy 2, C.McIntosh 20, T.Morgan 26
C: A.Barden 38
HF: S.D'Arcy 4, J.Garner 43, C.Bernardi 6
F: M.Kuys 9, M.Hope 23, C.Edwards 1
Foll: E.King 60, J.Lambert 13, B.Bonnici 8
I/C (from): B.White 33, G.Parker 19, L.Tesoriero 7, K.Stratton 41, M.Hutchins 25, H.Whitford 28, S.Dargan 46

In: B.White, H.Whitford, S.Dargan
Out: R.Schleicher (Injured - concussion)

ADELAIDE

B: S.Thompson 14, S.Allan 39, D.Cox 31
HB: C.Cramey 22, J.Hewett 20, A.Foley 3
C: E.Phillips 13
HF: D.Varnhagen 9, A.Hatchard 33, J.Sedunary 17
F: R.Wallace 15, S.Perkins 28 J.McCormick 5
Foll: R.Metcalfe 11, C.Randall 26, E.Marinoff 10
I/C (from): M.Rajcic 32, R.Lugg 45, E.Jones 2, J.Mules 23, S.Armitstead 16, S.Riley 8, G.Bevan 4

In: Riley, Bevan
Out:

Last edited:
I am Seriusly Considering going to game on Saturday. Though not sure yet
Good to hear, it's on Sunday though, so not sure if that will change things for you.

Did the AFL simply copy and paste the draw from last year?

Last year we played Carlton in the first round, Adelaide in the last round, and I don’t remember the rounds in between being much different?

Last year we played Carlton in the first round, Adelaide in the last round, and I don’t remember the rounds in between being much different?

Hmm, I hate that Carlton has beaten us twice now.

At work I sit near a Carlton AFLW supporter. I couldn't help myself and today asked her where they were on the ladder. Pathetic I know, but worth it.:D

At work I sit near a Carlton AFLW supporter. I couldn't help myself and today asked her where they were on the ladder. Pathetic I know, but worth it.:D

On the contrary, it was very considerate of you to enquire about their progress. :D

Conversely excluding Carlton who start with a bang our wins and losses have so far reversed.

Squads - Schleicher misses due to last week's concussion with White, Whitford and Dargan added to the 21.

COLLINGWOOD

B: E.Grant 5, J.Duffin 27, A.Brazill 10
HB: C.Molloy 2, C.McIntosh 20, T.Morgan 26
C: A.Barden 38
HF: S.D'Arcy 4, J.Garner 43, C.Bernardi 6
F: M.Kuys 9, M.Hope 23, C.Edwards 1
Foll: E.King 60, J.Lambert 13, B.Bonnici 8
I/C (from): B.White 33, G.Parker 19, L.Tesoriero 7, K.Stratton 41, M.Hutchins 25, H.Whitford 28, S.Dargan 46

In: B.White, H.Whitford, S.Dargan
Out: R.Schleicher (Injured - concussion)

ADELAIDE

B: S.Thompson 14, S.Allan 39, D.Cox 31
HB: C.Cramey 22, J.Hewett 20, A.Foley 3
C: E.Phillips 13
HF: D.Varnhagen 9, A.Hatchard 33, J.Sedunary 17
F: R.Wallace 15, S.Perkins 28 J.McCormick 5
Foll: R.Metcalfe 11, C.Randall 26, E.Marinoff 10
I/C (from): M.Rajcic 32, R.Lugg 45, E.Jones 2, J.Mules 23, S.Armitstead 16, S.Riley 8, G.Bevan 4

In: Riley, Bevan
Out:

Was kind of hoping Darcy Guttridge might sneak back into contention for this last game. Oh well, 2019 it will be then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Techincally IF we get Flogged then Maybe but as long as we finish above Carlton I guess
Technically yes, but it would take a flogging of record proportions to half our percentage. A 200 odd points loss would get us there, which is basically what Adelaide have scored all year. Relax we're safe TD.

Technically yes, but it would take a flogging of record proportions to half our percentage. A 200 odd points loss would get us there, which is basically what Adelaide have scored all year. Relax we're safe TD.

I know. There was bit of Sacrsim in the Post as No One has ever lost by that Much in AFL/AFLW History or even gone close to it

Nothing to do with our game but Carlton just lost therefore winning the spoon.
Just wanted to share my joy with you all .
We certainly didn't want a draw in the Fremantle-Carlton game as it would have left us on the bottom if we'd lost tomorrow, so I was pleased to see somebody won it. Finishing the season with a win, and at the same time ending Adelaide's year, would be very good. We've been playing well enough to suggest we are a real chance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back