Toast AFLW Carlton V Collingwood, Thursday 25th August, 7.10pm Ikon Park

Remove this Banner Ad

Traditional season opener between Carlton and Collingwood at Ikon Park.

Watch on AFL site: The Home of AFL Women's, Channel 7, Foxtel and Kayo

Our playing list for this season:

Inactive: Brittany Bonnici (knee injury), Brianna Davey (knee injury)

Since the inaugural AFLW match back in February 2017, Carlton and Collingwood have faced off six times. Just six players have played in every one of those matches (Britt Bonnici, Sophie Casey, Steph Chiocci, Stacey Livingstone, Breann Moody, and Darcy Vescio), representing the significant change each list has undergone in the last six seasons. The sides are also even on the ledger, each winning three matches - Carlton the first three, Collingwood the most recent three - with an average margin of 14.7 points.

Collingwood's forward line is the big watch this season. It has gone through progressive changes since 2019 to find a potent mix and has most recently added Olivia Barber - who will spend time through the ruck as well - while both Abbi Moloney and Imogen Barnett have steadily improved since joining the club. If the Pies can find some good transition between midfield and forward, they have a real chance to expose Carlton's defence in the air and force the typically rebounding duo of Kerryn Peterson and Mua Laloifi to play accountable one-on-one footy.

Tip: Much of this game will be played in Collingwood's forward half and the Blues' dam wall will show some cracks. Pies by 18 points.

Last edited:
Traditional season opener between Carlton and Collingwood at Ikon Park

Our playing list for this season:

Inactive: Brittany Bonnici (knee injury), Brianna Davey (knee injury)

Seven seasons on the trot the season opener has been at Princes Park. Think I’ll be dead before we ever get to play Carlton at Vic Park. Probably because of crowd numbers, with Princes Park better equipped for the bigger crowds. But I’m still sulking about it.☹️

Evans getting a start after the pre season Syd game was a given.
She is the only one on the list that comes close to the bri role from what ive seen!

Cant wait for thurs.
Think we have lots of options and growth this year.
We're not winning it. But we have the chance to set ourselves up to win it next year....

Malloy is def heading into the middle.
But she will play the JDG / Stringer role.... Win it and head fwd.
Ash is tough as. She will be awesome in the middle. so underrated.

Cant wait to see how Liv barber goes. She has weapons and is a terrific over head mark.

Lastly...EJ.
Saw her play in U18. What she did last year wasn't any different. breakaway speed, confidence....she will go off.
Don't think people realise how good she actually is!!

If you want comparison to the mens, its McCreery / JDG.
Fast, tough and if she gets it....look out, she wont be caught! (wish she backed herself more often!!)

Really hoping we take some strides this year. \
on the back of the mens.....you never know!
Believe!

I feel i have only focused on offence and undersold our def!!!
Apologies.

Our D is the major reason we got so far in the last few years,

Don't want Ruby playing mid.
Its like asking D Moore to play mid....stupid.

Our def is great. If you want a comparison on style:
Ruby (Moore),
Butler( Maynard),
Stacey (roughhead),
Porter (noble),
Ash B (Howe)

depends on who we throw back.
But if Ash B gets up....that makes us so much better.

I love Stacey, but thought her form earlier this year had declined. Age catching up?

She’s so much fun to watch from the Sherrin Stand. Has been my favourite player.

Big fan of Sheridan too. The Irish girls make sacrifices to get here each season. They have been wonderful for us.

Good to see Ash Brazil back. Such a shame we are missing Bonici and Davey.

Lin/brown could be ones to step up a bit with those two gone

RUBY Schleicher is expected to be named to face Carlton in Thursday night's AFLW season opener despite cutting it fine with concussion protocols.

The dual All-Australian, who was concussed in Collingwood's practice match against Sydney on August 13th, will exit protocols hours before the game and is set to line up in an already depleted midfield, which will be without both Brianna Davey and Britt Bonnici for the season.

Mikala Cann and Alison Downie, however, both look likely to miss due to calf concerns.
But star Jaimee Lambert will line up for the Pies despite managing a lower leg concern in recent weeks.

The Pies have also announced that tough midfield recruit Imogen Evans will make her debut.
Meanwhile, Davey's rehab has been set back slightly after she required additional surgery earlier this week to clean out her recently reconstructed knee.

Great story on our Chloe

Gonna be very interesting to see how the midfield goes. I read the praccy match report yesterday that Sheridan and Molloy would play more in the middle. Could be very formidable alongside Rowe

Is Braz back yet?

Not named for tomorrow night

COLLINGWOOD

B:
S.Casey 22 S.Livingstone 12
HB: A.Porter 9 L.Butler 23 R.Schleicher 18
C: S.Chiocci - C 17 J.Lambert 13 J.Allen 6
HF: A.Moloney 40 J.Membrey 21 E.James 20
F: S.Frederick 1 T.Brown 26
Foll: A.Downie 30 C.Molloy 2 L.Brazzale 24
I/C: I.Evans 5 E.Chaston 32 A.Sheridan 14 I.Barnett 4 S.Sansonetti 16

(Log in to remove this ad.)