Women's Footy AFLW Fremantle - 2020 #1 Team - Season Cancelled

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah, it'd end up just siphoning cash from the footy club. A-league clubs generally bleed cash, as do most other sporting teams in other leagues.
Maybe not the forum to discuss it but it actually grows the value of the brand. You get national exposure through different means. A soccer club will even get international exposure, moving you to the next level of sponsorship. You get global brands interested. The soccer team can split rent on training facilities and all of the medical costs. Most big European soccer clubs have a basketball team playing in the major leagues. Womens footy will lose money for years if left on its own, by partnering with an established brand, they can reduce costs and increase exposure.
This is a great move by the club and I hope they go on with it.

Brilliant news, my 3yo daughter is always asking why only the boys are playing for Freo!
Will almost certainly attend games and probably buy the jumper once it's available.

There's a bit of salt on the Eagles' board about this. Apparently they'll be supporting the Adelaide side as a form of protest.
I just don't think WCE proposal was as good. The Curtin link, with the sport and nutrition studies Freo are offering as well as access to Cockburn facilities to their teams women footballers was a pretty decent strategy to be honest. Not to mention Freo had the proposal up and about a long time before West Coast and you felt West Coast were just playing catch up.
West Coast threw more money at it, and Freo threw more incentives afaik. If West Coast had Lathlain Oval up and about already, then i'd say we'd pinch it but the dockers proposal was too good to pass up going into 2017.

I just don't think WCE proposal was as good. The Curtin link, with the sport and nutrition studies Freo are offering as well as access to Cockburn facilities to their teams women footballers was a pretty decent strategy to be honest. Not to mention Freo had the proposal up and about a long time before West Coast and you felt West Coast were just playing catch up.
West Coast threw more money at it, and Freo threw more incentives afaik. If West Coast had Lathlain Oval up and about already, then i'd say we'd pinch it but the dockers proposal was too good to pass up going into 2017.

It's terms of playing strength their should have been two WA teams.

This is a win for WA footy, not sure why it has to be a poo flinging match.

Will be cheering them on when they play, regardless of whether you tell me to F off or not. :thumbsu:
I personally would be telling to f off just based off personality :p

Brilliant news for the club - stoked we got the nod over WCE.

There's regular women's colts match every Sunday at the oval near where I live... there is some bloody promising young female footy-talent out there playing at junior level! So stoked they now get a chance to take the next step.

Plus in 18 or so years - Freo can have Pavlich's playing in both leagues!! Good times :D:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a male I am not going to make a 'political' comment regarding the use of pink. If the female players and club officials like it/choose it/don't see any problem with it then it's fine with me. Reckon it looks fantastic - purple and pink together is very stylish, I'd be fine wearing it myself even.
Such a perfectly tactful response. Purple and pink is pretty out there. I just don't know though, if I'd wear it myself. I'd want to see samples.

No wonder the fans are so fickle - the exaggeration is perpetuated from the club down

"The West Coast Eagles are bitterly disappointed to be overlooked as one of the inaugural licencees for the National Women’s League"

Why can't people just be disappointed. Don't need the superlatives.

No wonder the fans are so fickle - the exaggeration is perpetuated from the club down

"The West Coast Eagles are bitterly disappointed to be overlooked as one of the inaugural licencees for the National Women’s League"

Deeply, powerfully and agonisingly disappointed you feel that way.
We'll work super hard to be ensure you're not in search of superlatives, next time we bid.

I agree. It would have been far better to have said, the west coast eagles are bitter and disappointed.

Deeply, powerfully and agonisingly disappointed you feel that way.
We'll work super hard to be ensure you're not in search of superlatives, next time we bid.

you replied using the wrong account? ;) nice to know you have a foot in each camp though

If the comp is run during the preseason and depending on the Eagles not getting a Woman's team by 2018 the first game of AFL played at the new stadium could be by the Freo team.

Would be a great score for the fremantle brand if so, i imagine alot of casuals will just want to see the new stadium in action.

I was just thinking that too. Might post it on the stadiums board thread :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back