Women's Footy AFLW Fremantle - 2020 #1 Team - Season Cancelled

Remove this Banner Ad

Reckon this competition is a great idea are they going to play their games at Fremantle Oval? or any games at Fremantle Oval?.
Also they really should stick with the 16 a side thought it works well in juniors when used opens the game up makes for a better spectacle.

Apparently 2x marquee players get 25k each, season is 2 months long. Not sure what the rest are paid. The draft is done locally. So Freo have free reign on local
talent.

Apparently 2x marquee players get 25k each, season is 2 months long. Not sure what the rest are paid. The draft is done locally. So Freo have free reign on local
talent.

So not really a draft at all then? (Other than in Melbourne I guess)

I wonder how recruitment is going to work? I've heard of this marquee player signing. Not sure what it means. Also how can they have a draft and only pay players 20k or so. Would financially cripple them. So is it a free agency system?

Not 100% myself but I understand the 'marquee' players can get paid more than regular players (I think $35,000 versus $25,000). With NSW getting special exemption to have more marquee players it is basically looking like COLA/salary cap differences all over again.

As regards the $ with only 6 games then finals I think we are talking semi-professional league here. The girls will have to have part time jobs that allows them to train and travel as well. Looks like with Freo they will be studying at Curtin or maybe some employed by the club or by City of Cockburn. How does the women's soccer/basketball leagues go for cash - semi-professional as well?

I look forward to the scenario where there is a son whose eligible for pickup by two teams after mother and father both play in the big time for different clubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also interesting to see pregnancy on the, ummm, injury list? Perhaps there should be another name for it.

Also interesting to see pregnancy on the, ummm, injury list? Perhaps there should be another name for it.

An eight week competition leaves plenty of time.

As my doctor has recently laid on me, the low bodyfat and exercise kind of stops the baby production..

So the longer the competition goes on and the higher the standard of the athletes the less that will become an issue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The 8 team comp favours the WA team immensely. The girls will have to get going quickly as I expect it will only be for one or two years until the soul less mob get one too. And when that happens it will be all the girls in a pot and a redraft.

I await the coaching appointment with interest. If they can't lure Cowan from Melbourne i hope they appoint an experienced coach and not one from the WAWFL.
Man, * that. We should get to keep our team, then the 'expansion' clubs should come in and have to negotiate with the existing clubs to have a crack at their players, with those clubs to be compensated with draft picks. Sound familiar?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back