Women's Footy AFLW Fremantle - 2020 #1 Team - Season Cancelled

Remove this Banner Ad

Not surprised. They didn’t seem to have any game plan

Agreed. At times it was very difficult to understand what they were doing structurally, and we did not seem to learn from mistakes. Have met Michelle a few times and she seems like a really great person, but not convinced re the method she was trying to deploy as a coach.

Not surprised. They didn’t seem to have any game plan

I thought they had a game plan, just that it was a s**t one. The players didn't have the skill level to carry it out.

Coaches live and die by their win-loss ratio, and unfortunately hers was rubbish. Especially given the advantages she had in being the only team in WA.

I'm a supporter of the AFLW but with all due respect they are basically glorified mid level ammos footballers atm, doing s**t like risky switches of play deep in defence in very low scoring games of footy was ridiculous.
I was at the first game against the Dogs. That night their was a Strong breeze.

Against the wind the Dogs played the dead wing but we kepted switching against the breeze resulting in 3 or 4 turnover goals.

We had the breeze we switched it to the dead side and the dogs locked it to that wing.

Agreed. At times it was very difficult to understand what they were doing structurally, and we did not seem to learn from mistakes. Have met Michelle a few times and she seems like a really great person, but not convinced re the method she was trying to deploy as a coach.
Very over rated. very different coaching 22 of the best 44 in the exhibition games 2013-2016 and being the pinup coach than having to coach a list where there are only 5-6 "stars" if that and the rest are average. Club has moved her on by offering her x dollars when she thought she was worth more. Don't be surprised if she isn't angling for the EGirls job in 2020 or slides back into the Demons fold.

According to Caroline Wilson, Cowan left Freo due to a lack of development, help and assistance with no full time role available. "Disillusioned and disappointed." - Along with former Adelaide coach Bec Goddard. "No pathway and no role models."

North signed a player out of Swan Districts, Georgia Nanscawen. Apparently the youngest player to ever debut for the Hockyroos. So another player poached from WA.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North signed a player out of Swan Districts, Georgia Nanscawen. Apparently the youngest player to ever debut for the Hockyroos. So another player poached from WA.
Asha Price and Courtney Ugle have moved to Victoria to play in the VFLW.

Far better resourced than our competition.

Hooker was looking at a move to Melbourne, but has resigned with Freo.
Delistings, Barr, Bentley, De Melo, Devlyn, Filocamo, Haynes, McGuire, Smith and White. Webb taken time out from AFLW for family reasons.

Would expect a couple of them at least to be drafted again. Devlyn is injured, and questionable wether she is up to it anyway. Bentley would have an injury cloud over her. Cannot see both Barr and McGuire left of the list. Filocamo is the odd one, surprised to see her off.

Resignings
Hooker, Donnellan, Antonio, Bowers, Miller, Gibson, Cain, Atkins, O'Sullivan, Gooch, Williams, Janz, Sharp, Bresland, Caufield, McAuliffe, Green, Houghton, Davidson & Mascall.

Delistings, Barr, Bentley, De Melo, Devlyn, Filocamo, Haynes, McGuire, Smith and White. Webb taken time out from AFLW for family reasons.

Would expect a couple of them at least to be drafted again. Devlyn is injured, and questionable wether she is up to it anyway. Bentley would have an injury cloud over her. Cannot see both Barr and McGuire left of the list. Filocamo is the odd one, surprised to see her off.

Resignings
Hooker, Donnellan, Antonio, Bowers, Miller, Gibson, Cain, Atkins, O'Sullivan, Gooch, Williams, Janz, Sharp, Bresland, Caufield, McAuliffe, Green, Houghton, Davidson & Mascall.
Kept Green despite ACL injury? Seems a waste of a spot If she won't play. I wonder who was in charge of list management since they have no coach.

Resignings
Bit surprised about Smith. Isn't she playing as a forward for East Freo and killing it? Surely Freo have their eyes firmly on Chloe Metcalf? Pretty sure she's a Freo fan.

Still annoyed we haven't seen Bowers yet. If the core midfield (Bowers, Donnellan, Hooker, Miller) can finally stay on the park for a season I think we can do a lot better next year. Antonio is easily both our best CHB and CHF - wherever she isn't we have a major gap. Thought in season one that Houghton might be the key to that but she seemed to go a bit backwards this year. Think Antonio, Gibson and Metcalf forward could be pretty dangerous. Assumes Bresland, Williams and Houghton could hold up down back though.

I kind of get the Filocamo call. Can't knock her effort and endeavour but athletically she's in the same basket as Kira Phillips.

I enjoyed watching it too

There was some improvement but a fair way off the level needed to make the gf
I think the point I'm making is that they were great to watch. It was an all WA team that was improving, coached by a female. Maybe we should have just given Cowan more support and let us just enjoy watching an improving all female footy WA team. It was unique, different from the men's team.

Something worth remembering was Cowan was deemed to have failed relative to expectations Freo would win, but those expectations were not really based on anything other than an assumption Freo would be a quasi state side.

However with the loss of players to other teams, it clearly wasn't.

Freo could be in a position to do well this year, would have been good to see what Cowan could have done.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back