AFLW Round 2 - Melbourne v Richmond at Casey Fields, 5.10pm AEDT

Remove this Banner Ad

Well said RunningBounce, couldn't have written it better myself
We were right in this game, with all team stats our way or equal, except the score, with the Demon's ball use classier
That’s why im Curious who we play next coz I think we have improved and might make a real fist of a game against other cellar dwellers

That’s why im Curious who we play next coz I think we have improved and might make a real fist of a game against other cellar dwellers

Drawn the eagles at punt road

Yeah agree
our first year is done and dusted, time to look forward not backward
2 off Wakefield, Sab and Brennen is about right as most teams play with at least 2 KPF, Demons played 3 against us
It all depends on ball movement into F50, fast and deep, we haven't got anyone that can kick more than 35m out from goal 🤦‍♂️
Yes we need more quality mids (we got 2 this year in Hosking and McKenzie), which will come by free agency and the draft, we don't need anything ATM other than elite/quality mids, mids and more mids
Stahl, Makur Chuot and Burchell shouldn't be in the team as they offer nothing but liability, all 3 are not up to AFLW standard, end of story
Sansonetti and McLelland are better options long term for our team
Yep I don’t think you could keep a talent like Bannan out of your team for long if you have her on your list. She looked dangerous every time she was near the ball and I think she’ll become one of the elite goal kickers of the comp. Not surprised really that she was a top 5 pick, and I can see why she was talked up as a potential No. 1 pick. I’m still wrapped we took Ellie with our pick 1 though, what she has to offer is pretty rare. She can take the game on with her step and pace, great run and carry player, also add aerial power to her strengths and has elite disposal and is a thumping kick of the ball. Looking forward to this season just to watch Elli and Mon strut their stuff.

3 Conti, 2 Seymour, 1 MacKenzie. Just take it as read that I'm rapt in Conti and MacKenzie and don't need to say much more about them.

It's game #8. The improvement is there. I can see the skeleton of a decent team. Full credit to the Dees. Bloody good team. Well coached, great skills, they deserved the solid win. Thought the scoreboard flattered them, though. The Dees got two goals from questionable free kicks and they didn't pay one for exactly the same thing to us, 15m out. Felt more like 32 to 22.

The backline is fine. Not elite. Not a premiership backline, but it's not as far off as the other parts of the ground. Jeez, Cordner might be the recruit of the year. We needed her bad! And the improvement in Miller has been remarkable. Ferg has done a great job there. One or two more pieces to get in place, but I can see it coming together. I like the idea of shifting KB back there and moving Monahan to a more outside role.

The mids need work, but Molan, Jacque and Seymour have all improved enough over 8 games that I can see it working. Hosking's physicality was as badly needed as Cordner's marking in the D50. Bloody important inclusion. The output drops when the senior forwards run through there and just don't get enough footy.

Forwards - well, I like Wakefield. See below. Gotta agree with the general idea that we're not quick enough down there.

Not controversial to me. As someone else said (maybe CDog?), the kids coming through have played 150 to 200 games. There's 30 year olds who haven't played that much footy. The kids have a game sense and natural instinct that really stands out. IMO, the draftees will be better than the batch before in every draft for a few years yet, and they will be better than all but the top-level of established players.

Roast - Casey. WTF do they play with 16 players and a size 4 footy on an enormous and always windy oval? Acknowledge the differences between men and women. They don't kick as far, the smaller footy doesn't travel as far, and they get less players on the ground. AFLW is always more entertaining on a smaller oval.

I'm absolutely floored by Miller's improvement. I had her almost delistable after last season, but so far this year she's not made a single positioning error.

I think the backline is a real worry though. Ross, Akec, D'arcy and Monahan have been running around like headless chooks. We need more discipline more than anything and I do think asking D'Arcy to play the intercept role has neutered Monahan's own effectiveness. We can only afford to have one freewheeler back there but right now we're running with four.

I'd like to see Sansonetti and McClelland in this week for Akec and Stahl, with D'Arcy moved forward to plug that gap.

Yeah agree
our first year is done and dusted, time to look forward not backward
2 off Wakefield, Sab and Brennen is about right as most teams play with at least 2 KPF, Demons played 3 against us
It all depends on ball movement into F50, fast and deep, we haven't got anyone that can kick more than 35m out from goal
Yes we need more quality mids (we got 2 this year in Hosking and McKenzie), which will come by free agency and the draft, we don't need anything ATM other than elite/quality mids, mids and more mids
Stahl, Makur Chuot and Burchell shouldn't be in the team as they offer nothing but liability, all 3 are not up to AFLW standard, end of story
Sansonetti and McLelland are better options long term for our team

Agree on the three you listed as our fringe players right now. Sanso will take's Akec's
spot within weeks and Whitford will take the latter's next season in a canter, but we could really use a tackling small forward to replace Stahl.

I've loved Jacques' intent in that role this year but I have some small doubts remaining with regards to her sprint speeds.

I'm absolutely floored by Miller's improvement. I had her almost delistable after last season, but so far this year she's not made a single positioning error.

I think the backline is a real worry though. Ross, Akec, D'arcy and Monahan have been running around like headless chooks. We need more discipline more than anything and I do think asking D'Arcy to play the intercept role has neutered Monahan's own effectiveness. We can only afford to have one freewheeler back there but right now we're running with four.

I'd like to see Sansonetti and McClelland in this week for Akec and Stahl, with D'Arcy moved forward to plug that gap.

Agree with your ins and outs. Sansonetti started last season of so well for the first two or three games - her attack on the ball was great, her intensity as good as anyone's. Then it all fell away. Not sure why, but I hope she has re-discovered it. New season - new start maybe. I'd like to keep playing Akec for her speed, just further up the ground - it's not like we have speed to burn.... Nine touches might have saved Bernardi, but she is slow now - that knee is not helping her cause.

The girls should be right in this week's game if they choose to kick through the big sticks!

Conti was going back out of stoppages, every time.

Some of it looked like her instinct to move and weave into space before disposing of it, and it was the Dees forcing her backwards by guarding the front of stoppages well. Some of it looked like an instruction for us to exit out the back door with handball. I can see why. Our players need a bit of time and space to execute, and you can get that by finding the free player out the back.

But still... Conti's run and evasive skills are one of the few weapons we have. Might be better to get the supporting cast shepharding, not receiving the handball.

Conti going out the back was a huge problem, having twice as many handballs as kicks, and her kicks are much better than her handballs. Agree there needs to be much more work, especially by Sab if she is going to ruck, to get some angles and space for Conti. It would also help Conti's own opportunities to release it a bit quicker to make space for her next receive. Easier said than done.

Last edited:

Well said , she’s actually been more prominent than monahan

I didn't mind Ross's game against the Dees. Thought she did some good things.

Completely agree on Monahan, though. Maybe Cordner's inclusion and strong intercept marking neuters her a little too. She seems to be in camera shot pretty often when Cordner drags one in. Agree that we need a stronger, defend first type of disciple, with Monahan given the only license to free wheel. I honestly couldn't say what D'Arcy's brought to the team from the first two games. Maybe I'm not paying enough attention. Maybe she's not doing enough to replace the output that we've lost from Monahan, so far this season.

Like the idea of Sansonetti in for Makur Chuot. If they aren't gunna play Chuot on the wing, I'd prefer they don't play her. Doesn't matter how tall she is when she rarely gets a hand to the ball when it's above her head.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back