Coach Alastair Clarkson - NMFC Senior Coach - Coaching & Football Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Sigh. We are in year 5 of a three year rebuild. Very interesting Q&A. The most frustrating bit is the acknowledgement that we don't train hard enough. Really? Who drives that? I would think the coaching group so WTF are they doing about it? Been spoken about for a few years so why is it still an issue? Surely upping the ante on training standards is an easy thing to do. I appreciated the honesty from Clarko and Viney - but being honest doesn't absolve them from responsibility and right now I am a little pi55ed to think they know we are slackers.

Sigh. We are in year 5 of a three year rebuild. Very interesting Q&A. The most frustrating bit is the acknowledgement that we don't train hard enough. Really? Who drives that? I would think the coaching group so WTF are they doing about it? Been spoken about for a few years so why is it still an issue? Surely upping the ante on training standards is an easy thing to do. I appreciated the honesty from Clarko and Viney - but being honest doesn't absolve them from responsibility and right now I am a little pi55ed to think they know we are slackers.
As I used to say when we were doing major software system designs and builds GK, the old 80:20 rule will always apply.

The way it goes is like this...

The first 20% of the work will take 80% of the allotted end to end time to be completed. That's the hard part.

The remaining 80% of the work will be easier and will take the other 80% of the time allotted.

As I used to say when we were doing major software system designs and builds GK, the old 80:20 rule will always apply.

The first 20% of the work will take 80% of the allotted end to end time to be completed. That's the hard part.

The remaining 80% of the work will be easier and will take the other 80% of the time allotted.
I'm just getting my abacus out and I will get back to you.

That theory works 60% of the time every time.

There is no choice but to trust the process now.

Call it blind faith, call it delusion. There is no getting out of this. We would be nearly four years in to Noble's process by now but we decided to change horses.

For those who are unhappy, please offer your realistic alternative. Please do it without references to effort.

There is no point backing over what could have been. I would not have re-signed Scott in 2017 but we did. Having done that, I would not have chased the big names and would have started the rebuild. It is done. So what comes next?

I don’t think he said that about training, exactly. It was more reflecting that when you are at the bottom the standard at training as well as the standard at games will reflect your relative lack of capacity. And as your capacity grows the standards lift at both training and games.

He didn’t say this but it would be weird if training was consistently equal to the best and performances at games were this poor.

My take on intensity and ferocity in training, games etc which is reinforced by that presser is that it's not a priority to Clarkson right now.

He won't come out and say it exactly like that but he and Viney dropped enough hints.

It's pretty obvious but they're primarily identifying who they build a premiership side around. The secondary focus is bedding in some basic game plan elements but I suspect they're keeping their powder dry on that front.

As a result we're going to games doing what we want and not really tactically setting up for particular opponents at all. Viney touched on it with "let's just get a plan A sorted before we worry about B and C" and both mentioned that most sides set up the same these days, with us just implementing a couple of differences.

They've reasoned that this group isn't even capable of being competitive so a) they won't bother firing a shot with some innovative game plan (in full) right now and b) are prioritising getting AFL exposure and general gamesense into players showing enough talent and natural competitiveness to be in their long term planning.

Which means whipping the side up into peak aggression just isn't the directive, yet.

My take on intensity and ferocity in training, games etc which is reinforced by that presser is that it's not a priority to Clarkson right now.

He won't come out and say it exactly like that but he and Viney dropped enough hints.

It's pretty obvious but they're primarily identifying who they build a premiership side around. The secondary focus is bedding in some basic game plan elements but I suspect they're keeping their powder dry on that front.

As a result we're going to games doing what we want and not really tactically setting up for particular opponents at all. Viney touched on it with "let's just get a plan A sorted before we worry about B and C" and both mentioned that most sides set up the same these days, with us just implementing a couple of differences.

They've reasoned that this group isn't even capable of being competitive so a) they won't bother firing a shot with some innovative game plan (in full) right now and b) are prioritising getting AFL exposure and general gamesense into players showing enough talent and natural competitiveness to be in their long term planning.

Which means whipping the side up into peak aggression just isn't the directive, yet.
They also alluded to getting as many high end picks before the new team enters.

I take it they didn’t field any question in what was released on why we didn’t retain a non playing Thomas on the list to extract a pick for him? Big question for a lot of us members.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

There is no choice but to trust the process now.

Call it blind faith, call it delusion. There is no getting out of this. We would be nearly four years in to Noble's process by now but we decided to change horses.

For those who are unhappy, please offer your realistic alternative. Please do it without references to effort.

There is no point backing over what could have been. I would not have re-signed Scott in 2017 but we did. Having done that, I would not have chased the big names and would have started the rebuild. It is done. So what comes next?
The realistic alternative involves Clarko/Viney/Rawlings doing their job better than they are now and stop talking about rebuilds/resets/where we are at/what Noble did and whatever else they are talking about.

We are 8 goals behind the next worse team in the competition and the margin is getting larger by the week. No team has been as bad as us in the modern era.

It's up to the football brains trust to arrest this slide - we are not talking about wins - just stop the embarrassment of losses that have occurred by half way through the second quarter week in week out.

It is these 3 guys that oversaw

• the captaincy going to LMac and Jy
  • the selection of LMac on a weekly basis
  • the selection of CCJ on a weekly basis until he forced himself out through injury
  • a training regime apparently consisting of a 3 man weave, kick to kick and a match
  • the recruitment of Mr Pink and Biggie with the belief that they could actually play as key defenders at AFL standard
  • the recruitment and 4 year contracts to Stephens and Fisher - both no where near the standard expected of such contracts
  • the selection of a forward line week in week out which leaves Larkey exposed as the sole tall
  • a list that lacks basic features such as small forwards, tall forwards, 2nd rucks and key position depth
  • a centre bounce set up that belongs in the 70's and has been exposed as sub standard.

The list goes on and on - Yes of course there have been positives along the way but there is that with every club.

So its not a matter of - what's the alternative - its a matter of the leaders of the club setting the standards that are required and getting better at their job - list management, training discipline, appointment of leaders, Thursday night selection, match day strategy, tactics and opposition analysis. These are professional, highly regarded football people and their collective performance has been poor and a key factor why we have fallen behind the whole competition so much in the space of 2 months.

We aren't getting rid of Clarkson and Viney - but if the Football Department is continuing to operate so poorly in 12 months time questions we will have no alternative.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I prefer that at least they’re honest. If they said that it was incorrect and they do train hard enough I’d be f*kn real concerned.

Of course…..we should already be top 4 because he’s getting paid seven figures and been at the club for an extraordinarily long time. Silly me.

Really?
I never said anything about top 4.

You would have to admit that we should be expecting more and that this team has gone backwards at a rate of knots even within a few rounds.
If you’re falling for the way that’s being spun then… yeah.. silly you.

Really?
I never said anything about top 4.

You would have to admit that we should be expecting more and that this team has gone backwards at a rate of knots even within a few rounds.
If you’re falling for the way that’s being spun then… yeah.. silly you.
I’ll base my opinion on more than a ‘few rounds’ thanks. Not a fan of being reactive.

I’ll base my opinion on more than a ‘few rounds’ thanks. Not a fan of being reactive.

Maybe if our club actually reacted to festering problems (instead of pretending everything will magically fix itself), we wouldn’t be in danger of being the W.O.A.T and folding.

Maybe if our club actually reacted to festering problems (instead of pretending everything will magically fix itself), we wouldn’t be in danger of being the W.O.A.T and folding.
Have a listen to Sheez on the radio today, you’ll feel better - maybe even consider that what’s happening is not what you think is happening.

Have a listen to Sheez on the radio today, you’ll feel better - maybe even consider that what’s happening is not what you think is happening.

I watched that and I hope, really really hope that for his sake as much as ours, this path is the correct and successful one.
Oh man can you imagine the photos of Sheez and Clarko back when Harry was a kid, then one of them holding up the cup together? That’s a future everyone deserves.

He’s invested heavily in this club and it kills me to see his frustration during matches. He’s a remarkable kid with endless possibilities.. I hope North don’t ruin him.

I think we are destined for another bottom two finish and it's sort of a blessing in disguise.

We won't get access to the best available when Tassie comes around so by Clarko and Viney thinking more long term rather than trying to fight for mid table is a plan clearly designed to provide sustained challenges for a flag and finish in top 4. They acknowledged and even emphasised this as part of their reasoning. They went hard in the 2022 and 2023 draft which should be boosted by our 2024 picks.

In 2025, things will start to turn and we won't have access to best available which means they'll have to tackle the rookie picks a bit more (along with taking bets on 2nd and 3rd rounders) and make the most of the later first rounders. I think this is where we find those diamonds in the rough that help with the young talent coming through. Like a Larkey pick or whatever.

For me, my biggest concern is leadership. Maybe that eventually comes from our young players absorbing the new culture that Viney and Clarko want to infect everyone with, but this is where we lack so badly and it's what is giving fuel to the spankings. Clarko would be pretty annoyed (he wouldn't show it in the Q&A) at the current dire predicament in terms of changing the teams leadership mindset. I'm sure he knew how bad it was and they literally said they knew, but it would be a tough gig just getting fundamentals down.

I'm happy that they have a long term view but it sure is frustrating to see us get pumped every week. The little wins are always welcome but when the players get a spanking the supporters feel the same. It's a tough watch and even tougher for them when they have a monumental job ahead.

I got zero out of that QA session

That’s where I’m at and it’s sad

The way we’re going is going to only get worse, all I heard was fluff and s**t I’ve heard before. Haven’t seen any evidence of what Clarko, Todd, Sonja, Patch success plan

******* yawn. Less talk more walk

Feels easy for Clarko to compare our position to that of Hawthorn when he first started, Carlton, Melbourne and Brisbane in recent years and just assume it will turn for us.

History provides hope or despair, depending on how you choose to apply it. Regardless of how one applies the lessons of history - it never repeats! So it’s time to dispense with the historical rhetoric and start talking and focussing on the NOW!

How about building some belief, confidence and intensity in this group that they can still win games (Now!) while learning a game plan and building experience.

How about playing our A-grade midfield talent - in the midfield and forward of the footy where they can do the most damage ie Colby and Harry in the guts with LDU, Powell, Wardlaw. Scotty on the wing. Now!

How about getting some blokes in who will compete and defend like their life depends on it - get Archer and Bergman in! Now!

Make the tough calls on McDonald and Stevens. Now!

Pump games into George and Hardeman. Now!

I still don’t buy it that our list is as bad as some people are claiming. Yes, we don’t have all the bits - but it’s better than what it’s showing.

It’s not often I agree with Kane Cornes, but we should be seeing competitiveness and improvement in this group - NOW! Yes, we are a young list, but it can’t continue to be the only reason for our ineptness. Clarko needs to take some responsibility in his ability to rally the group.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Feels easy for Clarko to compare our position to that of Hawthorn when he first started, Carlton, Melbourne and Brisbane in recent years and just assume it will turn for us.

History provides hope or despair, depending on how you choose to apply it. Regardless of how one applies the lessons of history - it never repeats! So it’s time to dispense with the historical rhetoric and start talking and focussing on the NOW!

How about building some belief, confidence and intensity in this group that they can still win games (Now!) while learning a game plan and building experience.

How about playing our A-grade midfield talent - in the midfield and forward of the footy where they can do the most damage ie Colby and Harry in the guts with LDU, Powell, Wardlaw. Scotty on the wing. Now!

How about getting some blokes in who will compete and defend like their life depends on it - get Archer and Bergman in! Now!

Make the tough calls on McDonald and Stevens. Now!

Pump games into George and Hardeman. Now!

I still don’t buy it that our list is as bad as some people are claiming. Yes, we don’t have all the bits - but it’s better than what it’s showing.

It’s not often I agree with Kane Cornes, but we should be seeing competitiveness and improvement in this group - NOW! Yes, we are a young list, but it can’t continue to be the only reason for our ineptness. Clarko needs to take some responsibility in his ability to rally the group.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It’s all excuses atm. And he is giving the players a out too (it’s showing)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back