Coach Alastair Clarkson - NMFC Senior Coach - Coaching & Football Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Full disclaimer I still fully support Clarko. Just reckon some moves could've been made earlier than they were and Lazz was a bit unlucky to be subbed.

I Apologize Reaction GIF by Bounce

If we finish 2024 with more wins than last year I'll be happy.

4-6 wins should be the pass mark.

Yep, but in fairness, Clarko shouldnt be afforded any special treatment compared to Noble, Shaw or Scott.

I don’t give a s**t what he did with Hawthorn 10 years ago, it’s about the here and now. Or else this is just a Barrassi at Sydney or Pagan at Carlton type situation.

The development leaps of Powell and Xerri are really promising, if we see that across the board I will be happy. As it’s the single most important KPI at the moment, the emergence of elite players in their position.

I like the game style in general.

However there are some red flags.

The pressure at times through the middle is diabolical. It’s crazy that this is even remotely acceptable at times.

His attachment to spud players is beginning to be a problem. We wasted so many potential games with Howe, Turner, Young etc.

Will he have the minerals to move Tucker on, it’s as plain as day he fits with the above group. Will he have the minerals to do the same with Stephens if he churns out another 2 or 3 games like yesterday?

Will he have the minerals to drop McDonald?

I’m yet to see proof of the above.

How Dawson wasn’t playing last year is a real concern. He looks every bit an AFL defender

Being in danger of being too inexperienced is a complete cop out when 4 or 5 of our best on the weekend were that age.

Last edited:
Yep, but in fairness, Clarko shouldnt be afforded any special treatment compared to Noble, Shaw or Scott.

I don’t give a s**t what he did with Hawthorn 10 years ago, it’s about the here and now. Or else this is just a Barrassi at Sydney or Pagan at Carlton type situation.

The development leaps of Powell and Xerri are really promising, if we see that across the board I will be happy. As it’s the single most important KPI at the moment, the emergence of elite players in their position.

I like the game style in general.

However there are some red flags.

The pressure at times through the middle is diabolical. It’s crazy that this is even remotely acceptable at times.

His attachment to spud players is beginning to be a problem. We wasted so many potential games with Howe, Turner, Young etc.

Will he have the minerals to move Tucker on, it’s as plain as day he fits with the above group. Will he have the minerals to do the same with Stephens if he churns out another 2 or 3 games like yesterday?

Will he have the minerals to drop McDonald?

I’m yet to see proof of the above.

How Dawson wasn’t playing last year is a real concern. He looks every bit an AFL defender

Being in danger of being too inexperienced is a complete cop out when 4 or 5 of our best on the weekend were that age.
The potential continual selection of CCJ, Tucker, McDonald, Stephens will raise serious questions.

The blind spot for limited, nondescript players is baffling.

I want change and I want it now.

If CCJ plays again then the faith is losing quickly.

* him and McDonald off and build an AFL quality team.

Yeah they are looking the goods early. Well balanced side.
Yes certainly and that whole - But... but... but... we beat them last year thing overlooks the fact that our win over them was totally unexpected and would not have happened if the siren had rung one second later. We caught them on the hop and we got a bit lucky at the end.

Yes certainly and that whole - But... but... but... we beat them last year thing overlooks the fact that our win over them was totally unexpected and would not have happened if the siren had rung one second later. We caught them on the hop and we got a bit lucky at the end.

We defeated them this time last year.

Aim higher 👍🏼

If Denis Pagan knew how to use the internet and came on here, he’d be mortified at what he saw.

It’s okay to lose to a team we defeated last year, by more this year, because last year we shouldn’t have beaten them

?

Seriously?

V New
Crikey crew have a breather. I'm as critical as anyone but this is way ahead of schedule.

When the idea of Clarkson went from a fleeting fantasy to slight possibility, 5 years was the exact number in my head for enough time to turnover the list, get the right balance and instil a game plan and playing culture. Happily the club thought the same.

Throw in the distractions of 2023 and I would even consider extending the deal a year and calling this year zero.

I've always been sympathetic to Noble for the list and culture he was left and Clarkson inherited even less depth albeit more top end talent.

I get it, I let myself get carried away yesterday dreaming that we were finally seeing the emergence of the new North Melbourne. And I don't necessarily buy that the path to glory is simply to take what we did for 1.5 quarters and turn that into 4 quarters. Sure.. in other news if Usain Bolt can hold his pace for another 300m he can break the 400m too, hell he can hold it for 42km and just nail the marathon at the same time. s**t ain't like that.

But it's way, way too early to pick this all apart yet. We're talking one of the best coaches in history, back at his old club with a point to prove. We'll have to suck this up for a while and see what happens - frankly it's our best possible opportunity for making NM great again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crikey crew have a breather. I'm as critical as anyone but this is way ahead of schedule.

When the idea of Clarkson went from a fleeting fantasy to slight possibility, 5 years was the exact number in my head for enough time to turnover the list, get the right balance and instil a game plan and playing culture. Happily the club thought the same.

Throw in the distractions of 2023 and I would even consider extending the deal a year and calling this year zero.

I've always been sympathetic to Noble for the list and culture he was left and Clarkson inherited even less depth albeit more top end talent.

I get it, I let myself get carried away yesterday dreaming that we were finally seeing the emergence of the new North Melbourne. And I don't necessarily buy that the path to glory is simply to take what we did for 1.5 quarters and turn that into 4 quarters. Sure.. in other news if Usain Bolt can hold his pace for another 300m he can break the 400m too, hell he can hold it for 42km and just nail the marathon at the same time. s**t ain't like that.

But it's way, way too early to pick this all apart yet. We're talking one of the best coaches in history, back at his old club with a point to prove. We'll have to suck this up for a while and see what happens - frankly it's our best possible opportunity for making NM great again.

I’ll get around this.

Til i see CCJ standing there like an overgrown pigeon doing nothing again.
And question “why Stephens”?
And not see Chom or Greenwood even listed.

Then I’ll struggle. But I do really like what you just said.

This game style has been reminiscent of Noble who wanted to move quick and players were running themselves into the ground trying to chase and defend. But I guess his game style was reminiscent of his mentor, Fagan, who got his ideas from…Clarkson.

So, if he can get these guys to defend and zone better on the oppositions transition. Should that be the fix we’re hoping for?

This game style has been reminiscent of Noble who wanted to move quick and players were running themselves into the ground trying to chase and defend. But I guess his game style was reminiscent of his mentor, Fagan, who got his ideas from…Clarkson.

So, if he can get these guys to defend and zone better on the oppositions transition. Should that be the fix we’re hoping for?
This crossed my mind too re similarities. There were glimpses of a high risk, switch play style in 2021 before it went all went to muck.

It was probably Roos' gameplan, not nobles', considering the KPI *fest it turned into in year 2 after Roos declared MISSION ACCOMPLISHED and was drinking 30$ cocktails on Hawaiian beaches (courtesy of the paychecks we gave him.)

Urgh.

I want to erase my memories of those seasons.

My take on our gameplan is that Clarko will bed down the attacking style we want to play as quickly as possible this season, but will bring the defensive aspect in much more slower, just because we probably don't have all the pieces in the back half there at the moment (or at least that there are too many unknowns personnel wise as yet).

For example; I'm fairly certain that Clarko wants Logue to be a major part of the defensive puzzle.

I also don't think he will forever want all 3 of Sheezel, Fisher & Colby playing the roles they currently are.

In a sense, he's seeing what we've got to work with down back; both tall & small.

Last edited:
We defeated them this time last year.

Aim higher 👍🏼

If Denis Pagan knew how to use the internet and came on here, he’d be mortified at what he saw.

It’s okay to lose to a team we defeated last year, by more this year, because last year we shouldn’t have beaten them

?

Seriously?
You are aware that teams fluctuate in form year to year? Like how beating us last year was no big deal at all but beating us in 1998 was?

Every year teams surprise with shitness and surprise with goodness. Free could be as s**t as last year and this is a pretty bad loss, they could play finals and then it doesn’t look so bad. Beating Collingwood doesn’t seem too hard at the moment.

Chill. It astounds me how many people think footy is this linear highly casual game in which things usually go according to what the majority can see and think. It’s wildly unpredictable.

The potential continual selection of CCJ, Tucker, McDonald, Stephens will raise serious questions.

The blind spot for limited, nondescript players is baffling.
Who is injury free and ready to play instead of them? I know you know that no team plays 23 stars, and Tucker and McDonald have been adequate role players in much better teams than this one. Stephens would wanna show something soon.

Who is injury free and ready to play instead of them? I know you know that no team plays 23 stars, and Tucker and McDonald have been adequate role players in much better teams than this one. Stephens would wanna show something soon.
Bergman for Tucker with Scott being moved to his actual natural position is an absolute no brainer if Berg's jaw is in fact functional. If not, bring Arch in and shove LMac up to the half back flank. Sellers would offer more than CCJ in most facets, and so would Comben, but I'll grit my teeth and accept that that's not where we're trying to play him. Stephens could be replaced by McKercher and then the bolded changes could be made to fill his vacancy at half back. We have options

You are aware that teams fluctuate in form year to year? Like how beating us last year was no big deal at all but beating us in 1998 was?

Every year teams surprise with shitness and surprise with goodness. Free could be as s**t as last year and this is a pretty bad loss, they could play finals and then it doesn’t look so bad. Beating Collingwood doesn’t seem too hard at the moment.

Chill. It astounds me how many people think footy is this linear highly casual game in which things usually go according to what the majority can see and think. It’s wildly unpredictable.

Everyone fluctuates except us.
We stay - predictably - horrible.

Chill? Yep, that’s easy.. i haven’t been highly strung watching a game since about 2017. I just know we’ll disappoint, nothing surer.

Everyone fluctuates except us.
We stay - predictably - horrible.

Chill? Yep, that’s easy.. i haven’t been highly strung watching a game since about 2017. I just know we’ll disappoint, nothing surer.
Were you expecting the first half? How did it make you feel?

I get it mate, I go almost every week and it has been a period of unrelenting pain. But do you really not see the difference in how we’re playing this year versus 2022?

Were you expecting the first half? How did it make you feel?

I get it mate, I go almost every week and it has been a period of unrelenting pain. But do you really not see the difference in how we’re playing this year versus 2022?

Unfortunately I didn’t get to see much of the first half. As soon as I tuned in, it went downhill at 200 miles/hr.
Perhaps I’m the curse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back