List Mgmt. All Trades and Draft Part 2- Draft edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone wanna help out with the West article on Treacy for those of us who can't get in?

It has been an incredible year for Broome footballer Anthony Treacy.

The 22-year-old forward was picked up by the Claremont Tigers in the WAFL in February, has managed to play in the senior team since round five, and is preparing for a finals berth with the side.

But the former Cable Beach Football Club star and 2018 WKFL best and fairest could be about to take his football to the next level.
Treacy, right, is one of 18 West Australians invited to attend this year’s State Combine, where he will come under the microscope of AFL clubs across the country.

He told the Broome Advertiser it felt rewarding to have his hard work recognised.

“It’s really some good news on the side while I’m playing for a team that has played a strong season and trying to win a premiership,” he said.
“It came as a bit of surprise to me as well because I haven’t been in direct contact with any AFL clubs yet.
“I’ve been putting in the hard yards with my training and gym and been doing everything possible to keep myself getting picked this year.”

Treacy said he was enjoying his time in the WAFL but would be prepared to go wherever he had to to get his AFL shot.

“I will go anywhere and I would be ready for it,” he said.
“But what is good is that I am really enjoying myself right now, I have a good routine with my footy and work and actually liking it down in Perth, apart from how cold it is.”

The WA State Combine will begin in October.

But if one of our best 6-7 mids goes down over the next 2-3 years, who've we got to come in? Ainsworth/Brayshaw/Ah Chee/O'Neill maybe in a year or so. That's pretty poor depth I think.
And in 2-3 yrs time when Redden and Hutchings especially, and Shuey maybe, are gone or on the wane big time, who do we replace with as a best 22 mid. None of Ainsworth/Ah Chee/Brayshaw would you want as best 22. O'Neill an unknown, but he's got a very long way to go.
Yet in the backline, outside our best 7 (Gov Barrass Shep Hurn Jetta Duggan and say Schoey) we've still got Cole, Watson and Nelson - who have all shown they're adept, plus Rotham who deserves a run at it, plus Allen and Brander who both are capable of being swung back (and Brander may need to go back to get a chance to cut it at AFL), plus even Edwards who people are talking up.
So why draft another HBF!?!?
I've had it up to here with these recruiters/list managers, after drafting flankers for years hoping they'd be mids, then foregoing the opportunity to take Kelly at a cheaper price only to pay a King's Ransom for him later.

So Ainsworth Brashaw and O'Niell are not going to be best 22 players and if Im not mistaken, all were taken earlier than pick 49 in stronger drafts. And then you blow up at the PREMIERSHIP WINNING list managers for not taking a midfielder with even less chance of making it than the 3 you mentioned?
As for Johnson- he is a HBF so Im not sure why Brander and Edwards are in the conversation as they will be Key backs. Johnson is an elite kick and with Hurn and Jetta only a couple of years away from retirement, we desperately need a replacement for those guys. What they bring to the table with precision kicking is absolutely vital to our current game plan. Cole and Nelson are hard at it HBFers but they are not elite kicks and never will be. They have a role but they cant replace Jets and Hurn- Johnson from all reports is likely to have the tools to do so and at pick 60ish was a solid pick that filled a future need.
There is a reason we have professional list managers and not BigFooty nuffies making these calls. 2018 kinda backs this up.
BTW, every single club passed on Kelly, we paid a couple of late 1st rounders and second rounders for an absolute proven gun midfielder (what everyone has been whinging we didnt get in the draft) while we are in serious contention and guys start losing their s**t that we could have picked up a few untried kids who are years away from having a serious impact, if they even make it.
Jesus wept

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back