Another US mass shooting

Remove this Banner Ad

Did the security guard heroically save the day?

That is rarely the case.

I imagine the following has been mentioned somewhere in this thread, but to remind.

What most of us (being outsiders looking in) are missing here is that the US gun culture is more about removal of freedom/s than guns.

The NRA and others have successfully spent decades lobbying the rhetoric that removing your 'right to bear arms' is in direct violation of your constitutional rights and freedoms.

There are a lot of American's (Including a few of my friends) who don't possess any firearms and probably never will, but they still strongly advocate for the rights of others to legally possess guns.

There are also a lot of Americans who couldn't show you on a map of the World where Africa or Italy are, but could recite word for word the US Constitutions 1st, 2nd and probably 5th amendments....

The success of such propaganda is hard to fully comprehend until your hear real life stories.
When a good mate visited his brother recently, who has resided in Upstate New York for the past 20 years, the first thing he proudly presented was this massive secure cabinet, full of guns.
Apparently they nearly came to blows when my mate told his brother he thought it was irresponsible and disgusting that he would have or need such an arsenal....

Finally, aside from the fact profits from US domestic gun sales was around $13 Billion in 2018 - what we are really talking about is a very different cultural/political environment about guns that simply defies the beliefs of the majority of the rest of developed World - and is why most of us, for the right reasons also struggle to understand their situation...

"A man shot two people during a church service in White Settlement, Texas, on Sunday before two armed parishioners shot and killed him, White Settlement Police Chief J.P. Bevering said.

One person who was shot at the West Freeway Church of Christ died and another victim has life-threatening injuries, Bevering said.
Bevering praised the two "heroic" churchgoers who returned fire and killed the suspect. He said there is no ongoing threat to the incident."

Never change, Texas. Never change. :rolleyes:

Thoughts and...

Lucky those guys took their guns to church,
probably saved a few lives.
But what a sad state of affairs to live in a country where you have to bring a weapon to church to protect yourself. Not the kind of country I would want to live in. :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wait a minute. What about all the people in rural america like farmers/ranchers/homesteaders who have a legitimate purpose for owning firearms. Also, even some americans who live in the suburbs use firearms for hunting animals. I think people are quick to associate guns in America with school shootings in suburbia, forgetting that many Americans have a legitimate need for gun ownership. In saying that, I still don't understand the necessity for AR-15 style rifles.

Wait a minute. What about all the people in rural america like farmers/ranchers/homesteaders who have a legitimate purpose for owning firearms. Also, even some americans who live in the suburbs use firearms for hunting animals. I think people are quick to associate guns in America with school shootings in suburbia, forgetting that many Americans have a legitimate need for gun ownership. In saying that, I still don't understand the necessity for AR-15 style rifles.

Agree with the sentiment of your post, but aside from AR-15's why do people need handguns or pistols and/or are afforded these conceal carry laws...?

Consider; you and I at the pub after too many drinks one night, go beyond an argument over the Eagles v Hawks blah, blah, blah, then suddenly one of us pulls out a gun - in my World that should never be possible...!!!

Last edited:
Agree with the sentiment of your post, but aside from AR-15's why do people need handguns or pistols and/or are afforded these conceal carry laws...?

Consider; you and I at the pub after too many drinks one night, go beyond an argument over the Eagles v Hawks blah, blah, blah, then suddenly ones us pulls out a gun - in my World that should never be possible...!!!

ROFLCOPTER. I don't see the necessity for joe citizen to be walking around with a handgun either.
I'm just highlighting the importance of making a distinction between citizens carrying military/law enforcement type of guns in suburbia, and those in rural America owning firearms for legit purposes.

So similar to Australia how you can own guns legally if you need them hunting or farming purposes? It's common sense gun laws

It's their need for everyone to be able to be packing heat which is what people don't like about their culture.

So similar to Australia how you can own guns legally if you need them hunting or farming purposes? It's common sense gun laws

It's their need for everyone to be able to be packing heat which is what people don't like about their culture.

A World of pain!:

You mean like this?

I've been following a group of these "activists" on YouTube for about two years now. Unbelievable. I went to university in San Antonio Texas just on fifty years ago. It was bad then, but it's far worse now.

You mean like this?

I've been following a group of these "activists" on YouTube for about two years now. Unbelievable. I went to university in San Antonio Texas just on fifty years ago. It was bad then, but it's far worse now.

Given your experience living there, how would it be possible to enforce any meaningful gun restrictions? With their culture and population size, I can't imagine an Aussie style buyback even scratching the surface over there, but you'd know much better than I would.

Even just a semi-auto "assault" rifle ban, from what I've seen on social media there are a heck of a lot of people who would refuse to hand them over even if legally obliged to do so. What sort of changes would you like to see made, and consider to be realistic? Cheers mate.

Given your experience living there, how would it be possible to enforce any meaningful gun restrictions? With their culture and population size, I can't imagine an Aussie style buyback even scratching the surface over there, but you'd know much better than I would.

Even just a semi-auto "assault" rifle ban, from what I've seen on social media there are a heck of a lot of people who would refuse to hand them over even if legally obliged to do so. What sort of changes would you like to see made, and consider to be realistic? Cheers mate.
You nailed it as in there culture and 2nd amendment.
I have thought of some things like bumping the tax on bullets and guns,
But both ideas are pointless.
A gun buy up will never work and only increase more gun sales.
Gun registration as in a drivers license seems fair and tested.But this would have to involve every state and Federal Law.
Cooling of periods after buying a gun eg 60 days again pointless as there is no national data base and relies on information supplied.
Age limits are pointless due to Gun Shows and the Black Market.
So basically nothing will change.
Young people accessing there parents fire arms.
The list goes on NOTHING WILL CHANGE.

If there were no guns in the church then nobody dies.

If everyone has guns in the church then 2 die.

Which is the best outcome?

If that where the case then probably a lot more people would have died. Fortunately there where some armed law abiding citizens to end this piece of s**t before he went to town on the congregation. Also fortunate was the bill that Texas signed into law earlier this year that allowed lawful gun owners to carry firearms in places of worship.

Things will never change there. Never. It's too much ingrained in the culture of so many. If Sandy Hook couldn't do it, nothing will. Doesn't matter which party is in charge. I really don't care anymore. It's not my problem. I now can just sit back and relax and be grateful that I no longer live in that culture. I'd laugh at their utter stupidity, if it weren't so very sad.

Imagine walking down to your local fish 'n chips shop in suburban Melbourne and seeing something like this:

That took place not too far from where I went to university in San Antonio Texas.

Things will never change there. Never. It's too much ingrained in the culture of so many. If Sandy Hook couldn't do it, nothing will. Doesn't matter which party is in charge. I really don't care anymore. It's not my problem. I now can just sit back and relax and be grateful that I no longer live in that culture. I'd laugh at their utter stupidity, if it weren't so very sad.

Imagine walking down to your local fish 'n chips shop in suburban Melbourne and seeing something like this:

That took place not too far from where I went to university in San Antonio Texas.
Strange times. As I already acknowledged, I'm not an expert on the US or its culture. But IMO the Dems and the left (preferably both sides) shouldfocus on measures to reduce mass shootings other than direct gun control. Think outside the square... mental health checks for bullied schoolkids etc.

There are other countries with high levels of gun ownership that don't seem to be affected by such regular tragedies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back