Anthony Albanese - How long? -2-

Remove this Banner Ad

Nowhere in Europe is there a country that has all its population in a few cities like Australia does.

Our cities sprawl so much where in the same space in Europe there could be three towns with real countryside between them.

The Netherlands for example is only a couple or so times the area of greater melbourne

Not one to defend the PM in much, but he is well within his rights to sell his townhouse and punt the freeloader.

I know people in Albanese’s electorate who have had their rent jump 20% in a year. I have personally had a very hard time breaking into the Sydney market.

If this clown has been renting a 3-bed townhouse for $680 in Dulwich Hill he has been paying way below the market for a very long time.

It is absurd he would expect that type of charity indefinitely and has shown a total lack of class disclosing these circumstances.

It is also typical of the inner west morons around that part of Sydney. Who among us wouldn’t love to live right beside our business (which isn’t even profitable) at a significant discount?

So the biggest hit on Albo after the budget is he sold his house? Am I right?
Should be the $9b surplus achieved by refusing to fund social services and cutting funding to things like legal aid

Basically celebrating not doing their job

There are also lots of rentals for more than $500 / week. So you pay $600 per week and sacrifice elsewhere. It's all about choices. Same for mortgage holders. If you want a huge mortgage and rates go up, you need to sacrifice elsewhere.
You can rent in the city for $300pw
The outer suburbs are not cheaper

The median wage in Melbourne is $1300 pw

If you're paying $600 of that in rent it leaves $400 pw for everything else after tax

And half the people in Melbourne earn less so explain how it works?

Now I've started two flame wars in two weeks. Happy with myself.

I like the bit where they buy houses in Canberra in their partners name and use their living away from home allowance to pay it off. That's so reasonable and not at all a rort.

As always on this issue, I never ever hear anyone suggest an alternative. People who have to travel away from home for their work usually have their travelling expenses covered.

Lots of politician bashing in here which is fair enough.

But, Australia had an election where the abolishment of negative gearing and changing capital gains tax for investment property was probably the central election issue - and Australian's voted Morrison back - they rejected the policy.

At what point do Australian's take responsibility for creating their own problems?
I would suggest a large part of the reason the policy was rejected was because its impossible to have
Now I've started two flame wars in two weeks. Happy with myself.

As always on this issue, I never ever hear anyone suggest an alternative. People who have to travel away from home for their work usually have their travelling expenses covered.
Seems pretty simple to me. If your partner or someone in your family owns the house you’re living in in Canberra you don’t get to have taxpayers pay off the mortgage because you’re not living away from home. You’re using public money to buy an investment property. Use your own money.

I would suggest a large part of the reason the policy was rejected was because its impossible to have

Seems pretty simple to me. If your partner or someone in your family owns the house you’re living in in Canberra you don’t get to have taxpayers pay off the mortgage because you’re not living away from home. You’re using public money to buy an investment property. Use your own money.

So, with particular regard to accommodation regarding MPs who represent seats outside Canberra, what restrictions would you apply?

We should make it really easy to get off the freeway and onto a train.
Instead we drive right past stations that would take 20 minutes to drive to.
If we got in there, parking would probably be hard to find.

We need big , proper carparks at stations, pay a little extra on your myki to park.
Parking at stations is a waste of time. You could have a 1000 car spaces. Given most a single occupant vehicles that's barely a train load

Proper buses to the station are better.

How about disallowing the enriching of relatives via expenses?

Or is that already a rule?

Someone is getting enriched.

I actually have a solution - pay all MPs a lump sum (much larger that their current pay), and let them use that money for whatever they want, but all work expenses but he publicly disclosable.

Why do I support this way of doing things? Because I'm a democrat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eliminate negative gearing and CGT concessions and you'll start to solve the problem.

These measures will never really “solve” the problem.
It would create a short term affect until the speculators return.
People need to remember our economy relies on property prices going up, because of our banking system.

So, with particular regard to accommodation regarding MPs who represent seats outside Canberra, what restrictions would you apply?
Exactly what I said. You don’t exploit a loophole to use taxpayer money to pay off a mortgage on an investment property owned by a family member.

The rates of homelessness & mortgage stress are rising faster than ever & the people making the rules are paying off their investment properties on the taxpayers dime? This is a no brainer.

Exactly what I said. You don’t exploit a loophole to use taxpayer money to pay off a mortgage on an investment property owned by a family member.

The rates of homelessness & mortgage stress are rising faster than ever & the people making the rules are paying off their investment properties on the taxpayers dime? This is a no brainer.

I don't think including a tiny amount of people from investing in a specific part of the housing market will make much difference, but it will look good to those who revel in hating on elected officials.

Someone else will be paying off their investment properties on the taxpayers dime. Just pickin' winners and losers.

I don't think including a tiny amount of people from investing in a specific part of the housing market will make much difference, but it will look good to those who revel in hating on elected officials.

Someone else will be paying off their investment properties on the taxpayers dime. Just pickin' winners and losers.
Apply that logic to government contracts?

So you dont think the people who create these investment perks should be excluded from the perks they create?

So you dont think the people who create these investment perks should be excluded from the perks they create?

I think they have to sleep somewhere when they are in parliament. I think if the entire arrangement was more transparent, some people would have less problem with it.

What if we paid each MP $40,000 more a year (at a guess what they'd be costing in allowances for being in Canberra) and said "you have to take care of your own accommodation when in Canberra?" Probably exactly the same result, probably without the conceit of putting it in someone else's name, and less public furore.

Last edited:
Should be the $9b surplus achieved by refusing to fund social services and cutting funding to things like legal aid

Basically celebrating not doing their job

You can rent in the city for $300pw
The outer suburbs are not cheaper

The median wage in Melbourne is $1300 pw

If you're paying $600 of that in rent it leaves $400 pw for everything else after tax

And half the people in Melbourne earn less so explain how it works?

City rentals are not cheaper. Find me a 3 bedroom place in the city for $600 pw.

Median wage is for a single person. Households typically include 2 people, so that's $1400 pw per couple.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back