ANZAC Day Game: Two Best Vic Sides from Previous Year & other suggestions?

Should ANZAC Day be the two best Vic sides?

• Yep - lock it in Eddie

Votes: 80 29.5%
  • No - leave it as is you bonehead

Votes: 191 70.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

So slavery is like the fixturing of those two teams on ANZAC day?

Wow!

Seriously, the two teams draw bumper crowds for various reasons on ANZAC day. If that stops happening (highly unlikely) they'll lose the fixture. And as I have indicated, that is unlikely.

His argument was.... It is the way it is so too bad. Nothing better right ?

and if you dont like it too bad.

Very much like slavery.

give it to other teams we have an comparison.

Collingwood v Essendon only got 2,000 more than Monday despite...

- Being ANZAC Day.
- Being a Public Holiday.

Should be a Grand Final Rematch.

People have to work today mate.
They didn't on Anzac Day.

I have no problem with the current set up for Anzac day. Richmond V Melbourne Anzac eve and Essendon V Collingwood on Anzac day. The four teams swap over the following week.

Richmond also have the Dreamtime match so IMO they must lose the first round opener.

It must be at the point where anybody else at all would be better.

It's so dull.

I haven't watched a game in years and theres 0 evidence that other teams cant pull better crowds's and ratings.
You call it dull. Good for you. The overwhelming majority of the footy world thought it was an amazing occasion today, and a great, exciting game *shrugs*

the poll speaks for itself. 72% of people get it.

I have no problem with the current set up for Anzac day. Richmond V Melbourne Anzac eve and Essendon V Collingwood on Anzac day. The four teams swap over the following week.

Richmond also have the Dreamtime match so IMO they must lose the first round opener.
Why? Is there some sort of limit to how many matches you can work hard to promote? If we get big crowds to all of these, why limit them? Other teams can make their own niche matches.
Mind you if we have to lose one, the season opener will hurt the least IMHO.

I'm not being defensive here but why should Richmond lose anything?

Dreamtime is simply a regular Saturday slot with marketing added. It is not a holiday.

Round 1? I think most people will accept my point when I say it is largely because Richmond buy into it every year that it is a success.

Why fix something that isn't broken?

I know right you don't see any Victorians wanting to change the showdown or derby.

Better question is why arent these huge national footy events?

I know the hosting states fire up, but i cant remember the last time a derby or showdown was promoted as a big deal in melbourne during the lead up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Better question is why arent these huge national footy events?

I know the hosting states fire up, but i cant remember the last time a derby or showdown was promoted as a big deal in melbourne during the lead up

To be honest mate would footy fans in Melbourne care?

I am not being dismissive of other teams but fact is that Freo V West Coast or Port V Crows simply does not register here and I can't see any amount of publicity changing that.

We don't really have national games. The biggest Victorian clubs have nationwide followings but they are limited in size and tiny in WA and SA compared to the local clubs. Even the biggest Victorian clubs are basically Victorian affairs. If both clubs are up and about Carlton V Essendon for example may get huge attention in Melbourne and suburbs but barely register in WA and SA regions. Same with out of town teams.......people simply don't care.

To be honest mate would footy fans in Melbourne care?

I am not being dismissive of other teams but fact is that Freo V West Coast or Port V Crows simply does not register here and I can't see any amount of publicity changing that.

We don't really have national games. The biggest Victorian clubs have nationwide followings but they are limited in size and tiny in WA and SA compared to the local clubs. Even the biggest Victorian clubs are basically Victorian affairs. If both clubs are up and about Carlton V Essendon for example may get huge attention in Melbourne and suburbs but barely register in WA and SA regions. Same with out of town teams.......people simply don't care.

Thats just perception

They give a s**t about the pies vs dons on anzac day in wa, but victorians are incapable of caring about games outside their state?

I dont think we are that self obsessed

I'm not being defensive here but why should Richmond lose anything?

Dreamtime is simply a regular Saturday slot with marketing added. It is not a holiday.

Round 1? I think most people will accept my point when I say it is largely because Richmond buy into it every year that it is a success.

Why fix something that isn't broken?
You can't have everything, something has to give, you can't have three gifts in one season! Carlton must be removed from the season opener as the compromise.

Why? Is there some sort of limit to how many matches you can work hard to promote? If we get big crowds to all of these, why limit them? Other teams can make their own niche matches.
Mind you if we have to lose one, the season opener will hurt the least IMHO.
Oh well, then let's really get on the Tiger bandwagon. Only play Richmond matches when there is a special occasion?
Screw that, two specials is more than enough for one team. The season opener should always be the GF replay.

You can't have everything, something has to give, you can't have three gifts in one season! Carlton must be removed from the season opener as the compromise.

But they are not gifts. They only draw because we are there just like ANZAC Day succeeds so brilliantly because the Magpies and Bombers turn up in such huge numbers.

Essendon do their share of the heavy lifting in filling the G in Dreamtime ( a regular non holiday Saturday game which only draws because it is Essendon and Richmond ) but we do most of the lifting in making Round 1.

The game V Melbourne drew massive.....because we were 4 and 0 and going well.

I'm not blowing the tigers trumpet but it is simply wrong to have 40 to 50,000 fans of a club turn up against traditional rivals and then tell them the are getting "gifts". The G was packed this week because the biggest drawing clubs were there.....like it or not that is a fact.

and why remove Carlton? They benefit from latching onto the Richmond appetite for taking them on and have no other set piece games so why begrudge them?

But they are not gifts. They only draw because we are there just like ANZAC Day succeeds so brilliantly because the Magpies and Bombers turn up in such huge numbers.

Essendon do their share of the heavy lifting in filling the G in Dreamtime ( a regular non holiday Saturday game which only draws because it is Essendon and Richmond ) but we do most of the lifting in making Round 1.

The game V Melbourne drew massive.....because we were 4 and 0 and going well.

I'm not blowing the tigers trumpet but it is simply wrong to have 40 to 50,000 fans of a club turn up against traditional rivals and then tell them the are getting "gifts". The G was packed this week because the biggest drawing clubs were there.....like it or not that is a fact.

and why remove Carlton? They benefit from latching onto the Richmond appetite for taking them on and have no other set piece games so why begrudge them?

Carlton isnt latching onto Richmond for round 1.

Its worked because of a lot of hard work between both clubs months before the game, and the rivalry passion and buy in by both fans

Carlton isnt latching onto Richmond for round 1.

Its worked because of a lot of hard work between both clubs months before the game, and the rivalry passion and buy in by both fans
Like the Richmond Colingwood game.

When it's our home game,Pies fans don't show.

Like the Richmond Colingwood game.

When it's our home game,Pies fans don't show.

Bullshit

s**t like this is embarrassing, and is why rfc and hfc posters were banned one year from the membership thread

If what you say is true we should be getting 60k at every home game, even gc and gws - but we dont

Bullshit

s**t like this is embarrassing, and is why rfc and hfc posters were banned one year from the membership thread

If what you say is true we should be getting 60k at every home game, even gc and gws - but we dont

Mate,Eddie used to tell them not to show up for the Richmond game when it's our home game.

Back