Training Apples' & Jen's Training Thread 2021 (Latest report #3590)

Remove this Banner Ad

Somebody please stand next to Dib to gauge his current height. If he’s still sub 175cm ... it’s not impossible... but unlikely... he becomes a 50game plus player at AFL level
He looks sub 175. For a lot of roles, agility and pace trump height. The issue with short guys is usually strength and weight, but that doesn't look like an issue for Dib.

He looks sub 175. For a lot of roles, agility and pace trump height. The issue with short guys is usually strength and weight, but that doesn't look like an issue for Dib.

NAB league app has him at 174cm. It’s tall enough for him to be something, if accurate, and against Adams he had enough size in the pictures we saw through the pre-season, but it is a size where you need obvious tricks to be a best 22 footballer.

Not only short, some people have long thin skeletal structure and some don't.
Some have lots of fast twitch musculature and others don't.
You can't develop musculature heavily on a long thin skeleton otherwise you overload the structure, becoming 'muscle bound'.

As I said earlier, I liken him to Prestia (175cm) in terms of build. Short but a ball of muscle. If he has speed (which he does) and an inside game (which by the sounds of it he does) I think he could make the grade.

As I said earlier, I liken him to Prestia (175cm) in terms of build. Short but a ball of muscle. If he has speed (which he does) and an inside game (which by the sounds of it he does) I think he could make the grade.

I think height is the most over-rated attribute for many roles- except that it often means players can carry more weight and strength.

What stopped Jarryd Blair going from being a borderline player to a good player was that his decision making was terrible.

So I don't think him being short is an issue in this case. If he's fast, clean and a good decision maker - he's got a great chance.

Last edited:
I think height is the most over-rated attribute for many roles- except that it often means players can carry more weight and strength.

What stopped Jarryd Blair going from being a borderline player to a good player was that his decision making was terrible.

So I don't think him being short is an issue in this case.

Don’t agree. Another foot and Blair would have been a very good player. Probably the best leading forward we had. Just lacked height to exploit his footy nous.

Don’t agree. Another foot and Blair would have been a very good player. Probably the best leading forward we had. Just lacked height to exploit his footy nous.
Yes it stopped him from being the effective CHF he wanted to be. We really needed he and josh Fraser to swap bodies.

Jen, what if the Pies had to give up DeGoey for Sinn. Would you do it???
Assuming North finishes last, I’m all for us trading DeGoey for their first (if they take it) just in order to get a hold of Sinn. I think he is going to be a player.

So I don't think him being short is an issue in this case. If he's fast, clean and a good decision maker - he's got a great chance.

Na.

Average male height in aus is 176, how many good afl players are 175 to 177? Very very few, height (which means longer legs and arms too) is a big advantage

Assuming North finishes last, I’m all for us trading DeGoey for their first (if they take it) just in order to get a hold of Sinn. I think he is going to be a player.
Sounds like your new head coach would have to be Miss Simpkins the kindergarten teacher.

Yeah I would, but they wouldn't given they are rebuilding. They will be going to the draft no way will they give up their first pick. And we seem to be intent on keeping De Goey.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Na.

Average male height in aus is 176, how many good afl players are 175 to 177? Very very few, height (which means longer legs and arms too) is a big advantage

Average height is 178 for males in AFL age range. It was a recruiting fashion trend. Recruiters decided guys below 180cm were undesirable about a decade age - thus not many were in the system. Because guys like Sydney's Josh Kennedy and the Freo mob were going to become the norm. Meanwhile, Lachie Neale is the reigning brownlow medallist and the reigning premiership team had these guys in it:

Liam Baker - 176
Shai Bolton - 175
Dion Prestia - 175
Jaidyn Short - 177
Daniel Rioli - 179
Kane Lambert- 178

Plus Edwards, Graham, Houli and Castagna 180-183

Recruiters have changed their mind and now guys who were thought to lack height a few years ago are getting recruited and performing again. Coupled with that, a lot of roles appear to be trending away from size and power and towards agility and speed.I wouldn't be at all worried about a prospect being a powerfully built 174cm. In fact if anything, it's the midsized utilities who were all the rage in the Hawthorn era, who should be getting worried - the mosquitoes are back in town big time.

Last edited:

That bloke Caleb Daniel goes alright at 1.68

It's a recruiting fashion trend. Recruiters decided guys below 180cm were undesirable about a decade age - thus not many were in the system. Recruiters have changed their mind and now guys that height are getting recruited and performing again. Coupled with that, a lot of roles appear to be trending away from size and power and towards agility and speed.

Two kids perceived to have similar skill sets and similar ability, but one is 185cm and the other 175cm who’s more likely to make it? I’m taking the kid at 185cm every day of the week because he can play in most roles on the ground whereas the one at 175cm needs an elite trait to even be a role player as a small forward or defender. As a short arse it’s always been a bugbear and unfortunate reality of professional sport.

On Dib in particular if yesterday is the standard he sets throughout the year it’s a moot discussion because 10 possessions and a goal a game at NAB league level isn’t draft relevant unless your a KPF.

Two kids perceived to have similar skill sets and similar ability, but one is 185cm and the other 175cm who’s more likely to make it? I’m taking the kid at 185cm every day of the week because he can play in most roles on the ground whereas the 175cm needs an elite trait to even be a role player as a small forward or defender. As a short arse it’s the unfortunate reality of professional sport.
Not all professional sport.

That bloke Caleb Daniel goes alright at 1.68

I personally think the Tigers era of dominance is down to their recruiters not being worried about height and giving them a mosquito fleet - from late picks - that have created enormous pressure as well as creative attack.

Not all professional sport.

Obviously not ones that are size dependent (martial arts with weight divisions, motor racing and jockeys the obvious exclusions) but yes in every sport it’s an advantage to be taller. I’m all ears for your comeback on this one because I’ve never played a sport where I’ve thought to myself “damn I’ve got a real advantage here being a short arse”!

Two kids perceived to have similar skill sets and similar ability, but one is 185cm and the other 175cm who’s more likely to make it? I’m taking the kid at 185cm every day of the week because he can play in most roles on the ground whereas the one at 175cm needs an elite trait to even be a role player as a small forward or defender. As a short arse it’s always been a bugbear and unfortunate reality of professional sport.

On Dib in particular if yesterday is the standard he sets throughout the year it’s a moot discussion because 10 possessions and a goal a game at NAB league level isn’t draft relevant unless your a KPF.

That's been the fashion, but have a look at the tigers team. About 6 blokes below 180. 6 blokes 180-185. 2 rucks. 4 talls. 4 186-192.

They've had hit after hit after hit late in the draft because they've picked blokes who other clubs considered too small.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back