Training Apples' & Jen's Training Thread 2021 (Latest report #3590)

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree with the idea of a city v country, but I think anyone that thinks any game, at this time of the year, is shits and giggles will be quickly shown the door.
I can't think of any other recent year where we have only 2/3 players in rehab, and all should be back within weeks. Lets pray that continues.
Also good to hear that Tohill is finally understanding the game and contributing, very good size, build & speed, if he keeps improving could play multiple positions.
Maybe not shits and giggles, but there have been many intra-clubs at this time of year in the past where you can see players are clearly taking it easy because there’s nothing in it for them to actually get the W.

Henry surprised me. I'm now putting him in the mix for early selection.

Daicos gone to another level.
Cal Brown very impressive. And Tyler.
Let's not forget with the latter two, particularly the aforementioned of the pair, that this is pre-season. I expect to be berating the efforts of Cal Brown again once the real thing starts and wondering how Tyler gets a game when he rarely touches the ball. But by all means surprise me!

I told you Henry was gonna be a gun, but not many people believed me
Calm down, it’s an intra club game. It’s probably a bit early to be saying “I told you so” about new draftees yet.

I arrived near 6pm. Sitting across the road, you can hear Sharni's voice from the womens captains' run training session. Sun was still quite warm. Thankfully I found some shade with some tables and chairs as part of the hospitality they have outside the cafe to relax.
Started chatting to Tom Browne, before my friends arrived.
The women finished up around 7, then it was time to wait until the boys came out and started.

There was no warm up. No drills. They came out for a grudge match between the blacks and white. Or it seems, city v country.

All the injured played except Chugg, Adams and Reef. Not sure whats up with Chugg though. But otherwise, a very fit list.

Howe's first match sim, and there is nothing wrong with him at all. I wonder if there ever was this pre-season. Just continued on from where he left off pre-injury.

There was some fill in VFL players including Wellings.

Briskey was wearing #39.

Went full game-length. Didn't finish til 10:30.

Had a chat to Henry's parents. Nice folks they are. I feel confident Henry is a good kid and we won't have any trouble with him at all.

Player notes:

Draftees:
+ Henry: Prior to this game, I wasn't sure he was ready for an early debut. I take that back. He kicked about 3 goals, nice mark and athletic. I think he could be ready now.

+ McCreery: Very good set shot at goal and accurate. Good pressure. Is ready.

+ Macrae: Did pretty well for himself.

+ Ginnivan, slotted through a goal. Was lively.

+ Poulter: Has a bit of speed. Good signs.

+ McMahon: Showed some good signs, clearly needs some muscle on him.

Briskey: Had a pretty good game. Very good athleticism and aerially.

Senior players:

+ Daicos, Kelly, De Goey did one half, as they then were managed. De Goey rolled his ankle, but no stress, he is all good.

+ Daicos was very very lively in the firstn quarter, had 3 goals. Moved so well.
+ Rantall and Bianco, did pretty well. Bianco's ball use from the middle is something to drool over. Not many like it.
+ Quaynor and Noble did wonderfully, Noble was on the wing in some aspects. Also slotted through a couple goals.
+ Grundy looks to be back to his best. You can just feel he is about to have a monsterous year. Opposition watch out.
+ Cameron impressive with his marking and goal abiliity.
+ Lynch also faired well.
+ Jamie was dangerous inside 50, also some stints in the midfield.
+ Tyler brown, looks to be have a great 2021. Come on physically. Looks like he belongs.
+ Pendles did the entire session. I don't think his age is catching up to him at all. Playing like he is 25.
+ Wilson and Murphy rotated between backline/wing. I wish they keep Murphy on the wing, he'd struggle to get a game in the backline. Its rock solid.
+ Cal Brown looked dominant. His tackling, his running, his kicking hitting targets. He looks good.
+ Ruscoe looks to even have a better 2021. Has developed more physically this summer.
+ Sidebottom dominating in the middle and on the wing.
+ Thomas had a very strong session. Looks to be aiming for a good year.
+ Crisp spent some time in the middle in the 2nd half of the game. I don't mind it.
+Moore and Howe looked to contining where they left off 12 months ago, along with roughy. This combination is gonna be great. Add in Maynard, Noble, Quaynor. Our backline... so good.
+ WHE took some nice hangers, he is a very good mark.
+ Sier got caught with the ball a couple times, but otherwise, did well.
+ Prob the most improved this summer I'd say has to be Tohil. He is moving so well, reading the ball and play a lot better than 12 months ago. Playing on the wing though.
+ coxy did well, with some great marks and on the scoreboard.

High scoring, almost 200 points scored between them. There was a trophy handed out to the winners (city)

Really appreciate your reports.

Where did Ruscoe play? Forward?
Where did Tyler Brown play? Midfield?

Two players who I'm uncertain about where their best position is. Would like to See Ruscoe tried at HBF, but with Howe back probably not a spot.
Can Tyler play as small defender??

Really appreciate your reports.

Where did Ruscoe play? Forward?
Where did Tyler Brown play? Midfield?

Two players who I'm uncertain about where their best position is. Would like to See Ruscoe tried at HBF, but with Howe back probably not a spot.
Can Tyler play as small defender??

Ruscoe played forward. Seems to be his best position.
Tyler played wing, maybe inside as well.
No, tyler isn't a defender, also he isn't small. We have plenty of small defenders (noble, quaynor, chugg, Bianco if need be)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This from the HS:

High-flying Collingwood defender Jeremy Howe took a significant step towards his AFL return when he took part in an intra-club game at Olympic Park on Friday night.
And North Melbourne is breathing a sigh of relief after star ruckman Todd Goldstein was cleared of any serious damage after suffering a heavy knock in Friday‘s intra-club match at Arden St.

It was Howe’s first competitive match-simulation since suffering a sickening knee injury when colliding with Giant Jacob Hopper in Round 4 last season.

Howe had surgery to repair posterior cruciate and medial ligaments damage which ended his season in what proved a massive blow for the Magpies’ defence.

He got through his first test unscathed and now seems likely to test his knee even further in Friday’s practice match against Geelong at GMHBA Stadium.

Magpie draftee Oliver Henry, who was pick 17 in last year’s draft, impressed on Friday night, enhancing his claims of potentially making a Round 1 debut against Western Bulldogs at the MCG on March 19.

He kicked two goals on Friday, and impressed with his composure.

Josh Daicos booted three goals and looks ready to go to the next level after his breakout 2020 season.

Jordan De Goey has overcome his abdominal strain setback and looked in good shape; Scott Pendlebury showed his class as always; Mason Cox kicked three goals in the final term to help set up the win for the City team; while ruckman Brodie Grundy kicked the sealer late in the game after a strong performance.

I feel like I'm so out of the loop this pre-season... have we announced our leadership group? I'd love for it to be Pendles captain, Adams vice and then the likes of Grundy/Moore to be the others. Sidebottom demoted.

With Adams out it isn't really too big of a surprise that Grundy took the reigns.

I feel like I'm so out of the loop this pre-season... have we announced our leadership group? I'd love for it to be Pendles captain, Adams vice and then the likes of Grundy/Moore to be the others. Sidebottom demoted.

With Adams out it isn't really too big of a surprise that Grundy took the reigns.
Not yet. Nothing has been announced so far..

Adams would have been playing for Country, so it wouldn’t have made a difference.

Nathan Buckley has a number of option heading into Round 1 after an impressive showing between City and County at the Holden Centre.

The club held a Friday night clash with Brodie Grundy among the best, with the ruck showing his craft around the ground.

Josh Daicos snagged three goals for the winning City team, pressing forward after bursts in the midfield. Beau McCreery kicked two majors and is set to come into consideration for Round 1.

Brody Mihocek slotted three goals for the opposition and was one of their better players, with young gun Oliver Henry slotting two in the first quarter.

Irish gun Anton Tohill impressed throughout 2020 in multiple scrimmages and was one of the best players in the scratch match, pressing his case for Round 1 action.

No.. greats swim around the bay here in Mt Martha re.. unlike the ocram.. trying to navigate his way around his secluded holiday home in blaigowrie.. thk God for them fu**en $3 bunnings solar lights eh Oc.. a true great re..
I'm so flattered you remembered me. Nice stain job on the retaining walls, place looks almost liveable now. Why don't you give it a rest, no one here is interested in your petty jealousies, this is a training thread, stop derailing it with your childish comments. Buona giornata ciccio

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back