Are Port Overrated?

Remove this Banner Ad

Monfries was not making any realistic attempt to go for the mark - watch it again

Gibson is heading for where the ball will land. Monfries is not

Monfries can't get a free kick when he is preventing Gibson from getting to the ball, not the other way round

Of course. No forward has ever moved to protect the space between the defender and the ball drop, have they? Forwards are not allowed to prevent the defender from getting to the ball. Especially when the defender is running back with the flight of the ball into the forward. Its just not fair. Who came up with that stupid rule anyway?

I repeat, anyone would be happy that they won a close final, and then went onto win a flag, but seemingly not enough for Hawks fans that they have to whinge about it 2 months after the fact. As if you arent getting the respect that a back to back flag club deserves......

The worry for Port is their only quality KPF turns 30 in 2015.
I think this is the genuine concern for a lot of Port supporters also.
Schulz has been very good for us for the past three years especially, but he is yet to take a final by the scruff of the next like Buddy or Roughy, and certainly his goal output falls away a bit against the stronger opponents.
We have three younger key forwards on our list, but none are sure things, and some would reasonably argue that Butcher's star has faded quite a bit by now.
While adding Ryder to our list bolsters a forward line whose strength is its diversity and x-factor, we need to find a go-to KPF to replace Schulz by the beginning of 2016 if we are to make the most of what is a pretty strong and deep list in most other parts of the ground.

It will be hard to contest for premierships over the next 4-5 years without a quality key forward post-Schulz, even if we have dangerous "third" tall forwards.

A huge percentage of posters on this site have Port finishing top 3 next season. Im just curious as to where this level of optimism is coming from?

Is it the Preliminary final when they pushed Hawthorn all the way?

Their mid to late season form in the H & A seaosn this year was ordinary. Losses to Collingwood, Essendon at home, Richmond and Adelaide made for a very patchy run home. They won 4 from their last 11.

Yes they had a great finals series, but i don't think that's enough to put them in the top category of teams.

Whats with the optimism?

I actually thought they'd win it from 5th, so they're certainly not overrated for me.

If you saw their first half of the season, they're exhilirating to watch and at that point in time were the best side in it. A virus and injuries to both their kpd for lengthy stints saw them struggle for a period and maybe their youth contributed too.

When they were all back fit and firing, imo, they were the best side in it again. Inexperience cost them in the end. They'll be better for the experience and all their younger brigade will have another preseason under their belts.

Don't worry about the top 3, for mine, they're the flag favourites.

Imagine at the end of next season when they slot Tom Hawkins in to ff after they pick him up as a free agent. :eek:

They'll be devastating.

As above, Ports kicking cost them many times. Even sure things like Schulz and Monfries had their shockers.
Schulz's kicking throughout the finals was down. Had a heap of good, clean possessions against the Hawks for not much scoreboard return, and the story wasn't much better in the previous two weeks.

Schulz has been very good for us for the past three years especially, but he is yet to take a final by the scruff of the next like Buddy or Roughy, and certainly his goal output falls away a bit against the stronger opponents.
We have three younger key forwards on our list, but none are sure things, and some would reasonably argue that Butcher's star has faded quite a bit by now.
While adding Ryder to our list bolsters a forward line whose strength is its diversity and x-factor, we need to find a go-to KPF to replace Schulz by the beginning of 2016 if we are to make the most of what is a pretty strong and deep list in most other parts of the ground.

It will be hard to contest for premierships over the next 4-5 years without a quality key forward post-Schulz, even if we have dangerous "third" tall forwards.

The thing with superstar KPF's is they have only come through the Top 10 of the draft or Father Sons in premiership teams this decade.
It's hard to replace a KPF with nothing but a stop gap type in the trade period.
WB got Boyd but had to trade their captain to do so and pay him a million per year.

The thing with superstar KPF's is they have only come through the Top 10 of the draft or Father Sons in premiership teams this decade.
It's hard to replace a KPF with nothing but a stop gap type in the trade period.
WB got Boyd but had to trade their captain to do so and pay him a million per year.
Our team doesn't rely on that Gorilla fwd.

We manufacture goals as good as any IMO. We aren't the traditional kick to mark, set shot for goal s**t...

Our team doesn't rely on that Gorilla fwd.

We manufacture goals as good as any IMO. We aren't the traditional kick to mark, set shot for goal s**t...

That really worked well for the Bulldogs in all those PF's.

Sydney won in 2005 and 2012 after finishing third.
Brisbane Lions won in 2003 after finishing third.
Adelaide won in 1997 after finishing 4th, and in 1998 after finishing 5th.
Great work you can roll off some flags to make me sound wrong, that's 5 flags out of how many since there's been interstate teams? 25ish years? I said history is against them, not that it was impossible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great work you can roll off some flags to make me sound wrong, that's 5 flags out of how many since there's been interstate teams? 25ish years? I said history is against them, not that it was impossible.
5 Flags would suggest it's anything but...

Got a quote for the Victorian teams in similar finishing positions?

Giving Sarge the arse after his 30th b'day? Thought he was huge for you in your elimination final against Collingwood last year. Solid in the other finals he has played in. Played 5 finals at the age of 29.

Giving Sarge the arse after his 30th b'day? Thought he was huge for you in your elimination final against Collingwood last year. Solid in the other finals he has played in. Played 5 finals at the age of 29.
Not at all. Great performer for us on a consistent basis.
Looking to improve our side though and therefore considering all potential weaknesses.
Sarge is a key for us. To be even better in finals though, we need him (or another key forward) kicking bags of 4-6 goals against the best defences.

We need to find an heir to his role as our primary KPF over the next 1-2 years, if we're going to take full advantage of the good young squad we've assembled.

They are a bloody likeable team these days.

I don't buy into anyone saying "they will be up there for the next 5 years" though, that is terry wallace talk
Are they so likable because they were so s**t for 5 years, and this has caught everyone by surprise? And I guess Aussies always love the rags to riches story. Port always had the cattle there onfield, they just finally got off field right. It's not hard to show such massive improvements when the base was astronomically low.

Port have multiple single points of failure:
Trengrove - Defense falls apart
Boak - Contested ball and clearance work massively falls away
Shultz - Forward line falls apart
Lobbe - Very average backup, Ryder will be banned by ASADA.

Difference between Port and the real contenders in Sydney and Hawthorn is that those two teams have plenty of backup if injuries occur, Port have none in important areas and have wasted their draft picks this year when they could have rectified these problems.
Ignorance of rare quality.

Out of the "up and coming" teams trying to push out Hawthorn/Sydney/Geelong/Freo from the top 4, they're the only one of Port/North/Richmond/Adelaide/GC/Essendon* that I would be willing to pencil in a flag for over the next 3-5 years.

They really worry me when we play them (and we saw why in the PF).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back