Are Port Overrated?

Remove this Banner Ad

I would put Sydney, Fremantle and Brisbane all pretty comfortably before you.
Sydney is probably better but the other 2 aren't better..

I fully expect Port and Brissie's midfield list to go past ours in the next 2 - 3 years time, but surely the reigning B2B Premiers midfield is the best.

Mitchell, Hodge, Burgoyne, Shiels, Langford, Hill, Smith, Lewis... with cameos from Rioli, Puopolo, Breust, Suckling... young guys in Anderson, Woodward, Hartung...

That is the game's best Port supporters.

Got anything to back that up or are you just trolling? 2 of our 3 rucks out all year including a premiership ruckman. Sam Colqhoun out for most of the year with knee (was becoming regular 1st 22 in 2013), Campbell Heath out for most of the year with a knee (was regular 1st 22 in 2013), Full back and CHB out at the same time, big run of 2-4 week ankle injuries to Hartlett, Boak, Monfries and Polec. Matt White's groin, Wingard's foot...

Myth busted.

Sure Hawthorn's injuries were on another level, but we were hardly kissed on the dick

I agree that our "good run with injury" is being way overstated mostly because other clubs supporters don't want to admit we've clearly moved past them.

But although true, describing Brent Renouf as a premiership ruckman is really doing your absolute best at polishing a turd....
Big, poorly skilled plodder would be a more apt assessment... ;)

I dare say you could probably add Hartlett and Impey to that list.

I did have hartlett on that list, must have accidentally deleted it when I was formatting it, oops.

Yeah Impey is definitely part of that conversation, though I was more referring to the 22 that faced Hawthorn in the prelim. Could also add Sam Colquhoun and Aaron Young to that list too.

Most top sides have good runs with injuries. Hawthorn are the exception this year. Which makes them winning even more impressive
And yet when we won the '04 premiership with Francou and Primus missing from season-long knee injuries, all we heard for the next decade was how Brisbane were robbed by the AFL Finals fixture.

And yet when we won the '04 premiership with Francou and Primus missing from season-long knee injuries, all we heard for the next decade was how Brisbane were robbed by the AFL Finals fixture.
I was thinking that just the other day actually.

I was thinking that just the other day actually.

You little ripper. More posts like this please.

Bookmarked

You don't need to bookmark anything. Im talking about now. Anything that needs to be discussed can be done so without the need for hindsight. Stkilda could have the best midfield by the end of 2015 for all we know. Port supporters are so gun ho about their future it's almost amusing. You realise that all you're doing is setting yourself up for failure right? It's much safer to quietly watch things play out than count your flags before theyve happened yet. We sat through 2 long seasons having to deal with a similar scenario in 09-10.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now that PA are genuinely good and their fans know they are genuinely good is it normal to start not liking them. All these PA supporters being all like 'oohhh yeah keep thinking we are not good' and 'yeah we actually are the best at everything all of a sudden, you guys just didnt know it. we secretly knew though' is so lame. You had like 8000 people at your games when the going was tough.

Now that PA are genuinely good and their fans know they are genuinely good is it normal to start not liking them. All these PA supporters being all like 'oohhh yeah keep thinking we are not good' and 'yeah we actually are the best at everything all of a sudden, you guys just didnt know it. we secretly knew though' is so lame. You had like 8000 people at your games when the going was tough.
you're not truly a good team until you are hated

You don't need to bookmark anything. Im talking about now. Anything that needs to be discussed can be done so without the need for hindsight. Stkilda could have the best midfield by the end of 2015 for all we know. Port supporters are so gun ho about their future it's almost amusing. You realise that all you're doing is setting yourself up for failure right? It's much safer to quietly watch things play out than count your flags before theyve happened yet. We sat through 2 long seasons having to deal with a similar scenario in 09-10.
What do you want us to do?
Agree that Brisbane and Freo's midfields are comfortably better than ours, after finishing higher than both teams this year?
Port supporters are darned if they disagree with this thread because we are then labelled as suddenly obnoxious or arrogant or getting ahead of ourselves. If we smile at the thought of other supporters playing us down, we're also criticised as conceited.
The only thing that's left is to agree that we are overrated. There, I said it. Portia is correct. We are s**t and the last two years were an anomaly.
End of thread.

Golden run with injuries? Yeah righto pal.

Just a few stats and facts -

13 players either played every game or missed 1 game (8 players played all games)
3 other players missed 3 games and then we have both Trengove and Carlisle missing 5 games.

You had 16 of a possible 22 of your best for the majority of the year. As a comparison Hawthorn had 6 players who played all games or only missed one.

Yes, your injury run was very good and your depth is still to be tested.

What do you want us to do?
Agree that Brisbane and Freo's midfields are comfortably better than ours, after finishing higher than both teams this year?
Port supporters are darned if they disagree with this thread because we are then labelled as suddenly obnoxious or arrogant or getting ahead of ourselves. If we smile at the thought of other supporters playing us down, we're also criticised as conceited.
The only thing that's left is to agree that we are overrated. There, I said it. Portia is correct. We are s**t and the last two years were an anomaly.
End of thread.

I responded to this comment from King Tredrea which deserved any and all criticism it received i'm afraid. You can act like you're being victimised but in fact you're just being held to account for your claims

Our midfield is pretty comfortably league-best. Theres work to be done, but a non top 4 finish would be an utter disaster

Got anything to back that up or are you just trolling? 2 of our 3 rucks out all year including a premiership ruckman. Sam Colqhoun out for most of the year with knee (was becoming regular 1st 22 in 2013), Campbell Heath out for most of the year with a knee (was regular 1st 22 in 2013), Full back and CHB out at the same time, big run of 2-4 week ankle injuries to Hartlett, Boak, Monfries and Polec. Matt White's groin, Wingard's foot...

Myth busted.

Sure Hawthorn's injuries were on another level, but we were hardly kissed on the dick

Both Wingard, Polec and Boak missed one game each for the year. Just a bit of perspective.

I responded to this comment from King Tredrea which deserved any and all criticism it received i'm afraid. You can act like you're being victimised but in fact you're just being held to account for your claims
What claims did I make?
I am genuinely pleased that an opposition supporter would rate Freo and Brisbane's midfields superior to ours. If does me as a Port supporter no disservice whatsoever. I don't agree with it, but I'm happy to hear people say it.

FWIW, right now our status is no more or no less than finishing 5th in the H&A for 2014, and being the third best performed side after finals.
How we got there (e.g. fixture, injury run, close wins or losses) is irrelevant.

When round 1 2015 comes around, we are equal with 17 other sides. Some of those would have improved significantly, some will fall behind.

I'm confident that we will keep improving under Hinkley with this playing group, but acknowledge that (1) we lack depth in our key forwards and ruck stocks for 2015, (2) we are 1-2 years away from being without an AFL-standard primary KPF and (3) sides like GC, GWS and Brisbane will improve quickly, while the Bulldogs have also stockpiled a very good young midfield and now have a young key forward whom I'd love at Port. I also realize that Hawthorn and Sydney continue to be active with their recruiting (Frawley and O'Rourke for the Hawks, Heeney a bargain for the Swans).

So there are absolutely no guarantees that we will finish top 2, top 4 or top 8 in 2015. What I do strongly contend though is that we have a CEO, coach and captain who are most certainly NOT overrated, and while they are in charge, the dark days of 2008-2012 should not be repeated.

Out of those rucks: Redden is a battler, and the ‘premiership ruckman’ Renouf is a spud.
Sam Colquhoun is a 19 year old fringe player.
Campbell Heath was another fringe player and now delisted.
Really, Port’s run with injury in 2014 was pretty sound.
Redden is a battler because he has been injured since round 12 2013. At that time, before the emergence of Lobbe in the second half of that year, he was regarded by a lot of Port people as the best ruckman on our list.
For all I know, he'll never play AFL again, but "battler" is a tough call, unless you have used that term because of injury reasons.
Colquhoun was a fringe player because of his young age. Still at 19, he would have been handy depth in 2014, much the way Hawthorn's depth was able to cover their injuries so well in the middle part of the year.

What claims did I make?
I am genuinely pleased that an opposition supporter would rate Freo and Brisbane's midfields superior to ours. If does me as a Port supporter no disservice whatsoever. I don't agree with it, but I'm happy to hear people say it.

FWIW, right now our status is no more or no less than finishing 5th in the H&A for 2014, and being the third best performed side after finals.
How we got there (e.g. fixture, injury run, close wins or losses) is irrelevant.

When round 1 2015 comes around, we are equal with 17 other sides. Some of those would have improved significantly, some will fall behind.

I'm confident that we will keep improving under Hinkley with this playing group, but acknowledge that (1) we lack depth in our key forwards and ruck stocks for 2015, (2) we are 1-2 years away from being without an AFL-standard primary KPF and (3) sides like GC, GWS and Brisbane will improve quickly, while the Bulldogs have also stockpiled a very good young midfield and now have a young key forward whom I'd love at Port. I also realize that Hawthorn and Sydney continue to be active with their recruiting (Frawley and O'Rourke for the Hawks, Heeney a bargain for the Swans).

So there are absolutely no guarantees that we will finish top 2, top 4 or top 8 in 2015. What I do strongly contend though is that we have a CEO, coach and captain who are most certainly NOT overrated, and while they are in charge, the dark days of 2008-2012 should not be repeated.

I used "your" in the collective sense, in that my response was to King Tredrea. You thereafter responded to me. I don't disagree with any of what you have written above btw and I genuinely look fwd to our contests in 2015. If all goes to plan we will both be thereabouts.

Just a few stats and facts -

13 players either played every game or missed 1 game (8 players played all games)
3 other players missed 3 games and then we have both Trengove and Carlisle missing 5 games.

You had 16 of a possible 22 of your best for the majority of the year. As a comparison Hawthorn had 6 players who played all games or only missed one.

Yes, your injury run was very good and your depth is still to be tested.
Wow. Good comparison of apples and oranges.
You measured Port Adelaide by totalling those who missed only a few games, against Hawthorn's total of who missed only one. Doh.

Using your criteria, Adelaide had 14 players play at least 19 out of 22 games. Hawthorn had 14 that played at least 21 games this year, as did Sydney. And Freo. And North. Geelong had 15.

So take your erroneous and selective use of statistics somewhere else.

(For the record, I posted earlier that Port were a touch overrated, but not because of a good run with injury)

You could argue that Port have a core group of 6-8 that have been very durable, however the players that have come in and out outside this group have done their job and proven that maybe we have some depth that isn't recognized outside our club.

On paper I think Brisbane have the best midfield in the league.

Fremantle have: Mundy Barlow Fyfe Hill Neale Pearce Sandilands

That doesn't look half bad to me.
Boak, Hartlett, Ebert, Gray, K Cornes, Wines, Polec, White, Lobbe, Ryder as their rotation. Obviously Fyfe is clearly the best of the 2 groups but Port bats deeper IMO. It's like a tail of Hadlee, I Khan, Vettori and Botham against one of Johnson, Warne, Lee and Broad. The first one is genuinely awesome depth, the second one is good but not great.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back