Are we in strife?

Remove this Banner Ad

so the hard working people that do everything behind the scenes so the players can play with out a worry get stood down with no pay. Yet the players, who are receiving 3 times as much take a 50% pay reduction.

Getting to the stage where I say * the players, keep the staff.

The only good thing to come out of this is Gill won’t get his bonus. In fact he and Demetriou should give back every bonus ever given for not holding reserves in case a season didn’t go ahead.

They are still very lucky. Plenty of people on much lower salaries taking 100% pay cuts whilst not working

Yeah, I reckon you could get away with $4000 a week, instead of $8000 a week, for 2 months.

I agree with you. What I am subtly alluding to is the idea that the AFL, or whatever entity replaces them, may see fit to 'rationalise' the competition, and coronavirus (or more accurately the consequences of the coronavirus) will allow them to argue that this was necessary in order for the new competition to survive/succeed. If this happens, where do you see our club in the pecking order?
At the barricades with weapons.

so the hard working people that do everything behind the scenes so the players can play with out a worry get stood down with no pay. Yet the players, who are receiving 3 times as much take a 50% pay reduction.

Getting to the stage where I say fu** the players, keep the staff.

The only good thing to come out of this is Gill won’t get his bonus. In fact he and Demetriou should give back every bonus ever given for not holding reserves in case a season didn’t go ahead.

Players will still have to train by themselves or in small groups and maintain fitness/touch etc etc. They genuinely still have some commitments, much like in the offseason. I also expect they will be doing far more stuff with the club's media department than ever before.

Personally I think the 50% part is nonsense (if it's a flat 50 across the board for everyone), with the disparity in contracts there should be a floor (and possibly a ceiling) and then progressively increasing cuts for every 100k a player is salaried for, but part of me is also surprised they agreed to cut that much so I mean... good on them i guess?

Feel for the staff that are stood down. As the email alluded to a lot of those people would be more than just employees, they would be genuinely part of the fabric around the joint and see it as a second family. A lot of s**t situations for a lot of people around the country though, and a bunch of them probably just caught the modern day plague while waiting in line with 1000 other people at centrelink, because no one in the government had the forethought to realise that welfare services were going to get ******* HAMMERED online and thought to beef up the server infrastructure. Should have been obvious weeks ago that unemployment applications were going to multiply, and should only have become more apparent with each passing day.

Back to football though... I think the situation won't be too bad once everything is said and done. It certainly won't return and be the same, but there is a lot of reasons for government/corporate investment in the league/clubs. More likely than clubs being axed is the constitutions being scrapped and then being bought out by investors or state governments tbh. Queensland will be interesting to watch at any rate, with both clubs being in financial trouble but assumedly attracting a fair bit of tourism to the areas. Meh, what do I know though, I'm just a keyboard warrior, and really I'm just trying to rationalise a hope that when the competition returns (I'm close to placing bets it wont be this year) it doesn't look too different than how it does now (with the exception of the commentators, * 90% of them).

Larkey & Zurhaar won't be doing any bludging, as the lagging DOG next door will be ringing up the club with hourly reports!

They should have known better than to group together like that but imagine not calling the police and instead informing the media.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's the smart thing to do, but I wouldn't describe that as the worst case scenario. The worst case is that next year is also affected and we can't nurse clubs through until even that.

Give the current course of action is flatten the curve and actions of idiotic people. theres NO way this season starts again. Tbh id be surprised if theres a 2021 season. To stop the virus will take vaccination which will likely be 18months away. Health care will get vaccination first (maybe 9-12 months), it'll take time to get to the general public all the way down her in Aust.

It was mentioned on Footy Classified tonight that some Clubs may have to merge next year. This was only speculation but
it indicates that it is being considered in some quarters.

It was mentioned on Footy Classified tonight that some Clubs may have to merge next year. This was only speculation but
By anyone legitimate, or just one of the regular panellists?

I’m happy to go into debt again to survive.
1-2 mill for 2020 is fine by me

You reckon Gil and the AFL happy they brought forward the purchase of Marvel???
Why did they do this again? Doesn't make sense when they could have saved 200M (which would be handy right about now!) if they waited 9 years.

"On 7 October 2016, the AFL Commission announced that the league had acquired exclusive ownership of the stadium. The league elected to buy out the owners' share for a figure believed to be approximately $200 million, rather than wait until 2025 when the league would automatically acquire ownership of the venue for $30"

This is like pr0n for Wilson. Seriously, as if the clubs are discussing mergers already.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

This is like pr0n for Wilson. Seriously, as if the clubs are discussing mergers already.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

... and needlessly reckless. People are facing losing their loved ones and their livelihoods, we all need the hope that we can return to the footy to cheer for the teams that we love.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back