Are you less excited about this year's GF?

Rate your grand final excitement level

• Same as usual

Votes: 41 15.0%
  • Less than usual

Votes: 186 68.1%
  • More than usual

Votes: 46 16.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Take out the teams as a factor, does the fact the Grand Final is at night at the GABBA make it a bit less exciting for you? Anyone more excited than usual, because of the novelty? Or the same?

Tbh to me I do feel the lack of buildup, smaller crowd, being ar night, shorter games make it less of a spectacle to me. Should still be interesting and I'll watch with interest even if I don't care about the result. Would've cared more if Brisbane got in.

It takes everything that makes it a grand final out of it. The atmosphere will be bad. The dew will ruin the way the game is played. The entire spectacle, that is the grand final, has been ruined this year (for good reason to be fair as people's health must come first).

It takes everything that makes it a grand final out of it. The atmosphere will be bad. The dew will ruin the way the game is played. The entire spectacle, that is the grand final, has been ruined this year (for good reason to be fair as people's health must come first).
There was zero dew last saturday night. Not one drop.

Taking out the teams as a factor, way less for me. Can't get together with mates which is what makes it so special. The GF is like our adult Christmas - best day of the year and everyone makes sure they get there. Watching at home with just my wife, kids and Bigfooty just won't be the same, as much as I love two of those things.

I'm also not sure about it being a night game, but that might just be the yelling at the clouds coming out in me. ******* clouds.

Taking out the teams as a factor, way less for me. Can't get together with mates which is what makes it so special. The GF is like our adult Christmas - best day of the year and everyone makes sure they get there. Watching at home with just my wife, kids and Bigfooty just won't be the same, as much as I love two of those things.

I'm also not sure about it being a night game, but that might just be the yelling at the clouds coming out in me. ******* clouds.
So is it the kids or the wife you dont love?

Take out the teams as a factor, does the fact the Grand Final is at night at the GABBA make it a bit less exciting for you? Anyone more excited than usual, because of the novelty? Or the same?

Tbh to me I do feel the lack of buildup, smaller crowd, being ar night, shorter games make it less of a spectacle to me. Should still be interesting and I'll watch with interest even if I don't care about the result. Would've cared more if Brisbane got in.

Your team didn't make the GF and now you are having a sook.

It has nothing to do with the GF itself.

apart from the fact my team is not in it, the shortened quarters, lack of spectators (compared to the G), and low scoring this season means I dont really care

Yes.

I posted the following in the GF preview thread:

"Although the game should be a good one, I'm like those few people who can't get too excited for it. And it's definitely not because my team isn't in it. In fact, if they were, I would still feel the same.

The reason I'm not too excited about the game is because it's not being played at the MCG. Grand Final at the G is something really special. The Gabba just feels so.....um...underwhelming for such a grand spectacle. Add to this the whole change in the season from teams hubbing, to reduced quarters, to reduced rounds, it's just really been a meh season. Don't get me wrong, I am thankful that the AFL managed to get a season done given the circumstances and whoever wins will deserve it.

I'll still watch it though. But man, honestly, fu** the Gabba. Who knows, maybe in many decades from now when AFL is a littler bigger in QLD, they could invest in an actual AFL stadium that could rival Optus/MCG."

I forget to mention in the post above about the game being at night time. I really hope they stick to the traditional time. It's just perfect. Day time GF > Night GF.

Would be really interesting to hear from a few more Cats and Tiger supporters on how they feel.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love the people saying he is having a sook.
It's valid and true.

Simple check of the 2019 AFL Grand Final thread had 943 posts at the end of Wednesday 25th September. And that's with a side involved who has 3 supporters.

This year's Grand Final thread has 209 posts up to now. Vast difference in involvement on a forum that loves footy.

Definately less excitement this year.

Well I can tell you as a Richmond fan I am not feeling it at all. No nervousness, no sense of excitement, nothing. Can't watch with mates, can't go to a pub, can't go to the game. I suppose if it was our first one in a long time it may be different but the footy is a social pastime. Dan has killed it for me

Back