Aus A squad Ashes camp in NZ

Remove this Banner Ad

Westend

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 28, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast

Interesting

Australia A squad: Wes Agar, Xavier Bartlett, Aaron Hardie, Peter Handscomb, Spencer Johnson, Campbell Kellaway, Nathan McSweeney, Joel Paris, Mitch Perry, Jimmy Pierson, Matthew Renshaw, Mitchell Swepson, Tim Ward, Teague Wyllie.

Last edited:

Interesting

Australia A squad: Wes Agar, Xavier Bartlett, Aaron Hardie, Peter Handscomb, Spencer Johnson, Campbell Kellaway, Nathan McSweeney, Joel Paris, Mitch Perry, Jimmy Pierson, Matthew Renshaw, Mitchell Swepson, Tim Ward, Teague Wyllie.

Hmm, thought Lance Morris might have benefited from this, however he's probably likely going to be in the full training squad in England?

Nesser also absent.

Will be interesting how Johnson goes.

Hmm, thought Lance Morris might have benefited from this, however he's probably likely going to be in the full training squad in England?

Nesser also absent.

Will be interesting how Johnson goes.

Bit of clarity on how they selected th squad - from the CA release:

A number of players who are likely to be considered for the five-Test Ashes campaign in June-July this year were not considered for the A tour because they are undertaking UK county stints and will therefore gain significant exposure to English conditions.

That cohort includes Marcus Harris (Gloucestershire), Michael Neser (Glamorgan), Sean Abbott (Surrey), Sam Whiteman (Northamptonshire), Nathan McAndrew (Sussex) and Peter Siddle (Somerset) while Test stars Marnus Labuschagne (Glamorgan) and Steve Smith (Sussex) have also signed for county appearances.

Cameron Bancroft, leading Shield runs scorer for this season, is understood to have also secured an early season stint in county cricket having played for Durham in recent years, while he and WA teammate Josh Inglis – who clubbed a match-winning 138 from 110 balls in yesterday's Marsh One Day Cup final win over SA and is awaiting the arrival of his first child later this year – have both nominated in the draft for The Hundred tournament in the UK in August.

Interesting

Seems CA has been listening to us disgruntled fans. Perfect prep for any Ashes fringies.

Wow a few surprises in Spencer Johnson, Campbell Kellaway, Teague Wyllie & Nathan McSweemey. Pleased to see Tim Ward chosen in his first rep squad plus Joel Paris.

Be playing with the Dukes ball so good to see CA has done its homework and chosen swingman Paris plus seamers Johnson, Bartlett and Agar.

Last edited:

Interesting

I hope this doesn't affect Spencer Johnson's eligibility to play for Italy in the T20WC qualifiers in July.

I hope this doesn't affect Spencer Johnson's eligibility to play for Italy in the T20WC qualifiers in July.
It won't affect his eligibility until he plays for Australia. What it may affect is his want to then play for Italy if he knows he's a lot closer to playing for Australia than he thought he was when he agreed to play for Italy. Similar to Tim David with Singapore.

It won't affect his eligibility until he plays for Australia. What it may affect is his want to then play for Italy if he knows he's a lot closer to playing for Australia than he thought he was when he agreed to play for Italy. Similar to Tim David with Singapore.
Yeah ok. I was thinking of the Jofra Archer situation but that was under 19s.

If he can bowl at first class level with the pace and energy he bowled in the BBL then he is a big chance to play in the next 12 months. Bowlers of that pace are rare and he is a left armer with only a mid 30's left armer ahead of him.

If he can bowl at first class level with the pace and energy he bowled in the BBL then he is a big chance to play in the next 12 months. Bowlers of that pace are rare and he is a left armer with only a mid 30's left armer ahead of him.
From what I’ve seen of Johnson so far he seems far better than Morris, and Morris was pretty much hail maryed into the Test squad.

I also wouldn’t be surprised to see Johnson in at least one of the Australian sides in the next 12 months.

From what I’ve seen of Johnson so far he seems far better than Morris, and Morris was pretty much hail maryed into the Test squad.

I also wouldn’t be surprised to see Johnson in at least one of the Australian sides in the next 12 months.
Morris has improved a lot recently.
He used to bowl boundary ball every over or so but he has much better control now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Morris has improved a lot recently.
He used to bowl boundary ball every over or so but he has much better control now
100% he’s improved, I rate him very highly.
Doesn’t mean he’s Test standard yet, or even close. The eye test tells me Johnson might be a little better, and a bit quicker.

The Wild Thing knick name and comparisons to Shaun Tate or Brett Lee are pretty funny though, people sure love new toys.

I’m really looking forward to seeing him back in the Shield side. Hopefully his education program with the Test boys sees the improvement continue.

Johnson will enjoy the Duke ball.
Johnson and his pace buddies, specially fellow swing man Joel Paris, will thrive in the two 4 day match series with the English Dukes in their hand on expected bowler friendly green decks in an autumnal Land of the Long White Cloud. Not so sure the batting group, which includes several rookies will relish their job quite as much as their technique in these conditions will come under close scrutiny by curious Ashes selectors..

Room for both. Morris deserved his crack at fame as the Bradman Young Cricketer of the Year plus was the leading bowler before he went to India. Like I say room for both as no doubt CA will want another lefty after Starc. Perry and Bartlett too are probably in the front running for a future Test attack, tho I also like the cut of Lawrence Neil-Smith. Reminds me of a young Glenn McGrath.

Last edited:
Australia A squad: Wes Agar, Xavier Bartlett, Aaron Hardie, Caleb Jewell, Spencer Johnson, Campbell Kellaway, Nathan McSweeney, Joel Paris, Mitch Perry, Jimmy Peirson, Matthew Renshaw, Mitchell Swepson, Tim Ward, Teague Wyllie.

Big loss is Peter Handscomb for his experience alone. His omission now gives the batting lineup a distinct rookie feel. Jimmy Peirson should be the new captain.

Apr 01, Sat - Apr 04, Tue
New Zealand A vs Australia A, 1st unofficial Test
Bert Sutcliffe Oval, Lincoln

Apr 08, Sat - Apr 11, Tue
New Zealand A vs Australia A, 2nd unofficial Test

Last edited:
Australia A squad: Wes Agar, Xavier Bartlett, Aaron Hardie, Caleb Jewell, Spencer Johnson, Campbell Kellaway, Nathan McSweeney, Joel Paris, Mitch Perry, Jimmy Peirson, Matthew Renshaw, Mitchell Swepson, Tim Ward, Teague Wyllie.

Big loss is Peter Handscomb for his experience alone. His omission now gives the batting lineup a distinct rookie feel. Jimmy Peirson should be the new captain.

Apr 01, Sat - Apr 04, Tue
New Zealand A vs Australia A, 1st unofficial Test

Apr 08, Sat - Apr 11, Tue
New Zealand A vs Australia A, 2nd unofficial Test

Are the matches being streamed?

Surely Kelly should be in above Agar?
Yes agree for several reasons. The West Aussie is a superior seamer, will have played closer to the event so is fresher and in better form than the South Aussie.
Are the matches being streamed?
I heard the Kiwis are covering them and giving Australia the live feed.
Sutherland ahead of both for mine.
Surprised he has a four point better average than Kelly. So your view is fully justified.

Last edited:
Yes agree for several reasons. The West Aussie is a superior seamer, will have played closer to the event so is fresher and in form than the South Aussie.

I heard the Kiwis are covering them and giving Australia the live feed.

Surprised he has a four point better average than Kelly. So your view is fully justified.

Many thanks for that.

My X1 for the first Test:
Renshaw
Jewell
Ward
Wyllie
Hardie
Kellaway
Peirson
Perry
Bartlett
Johnson
Swepson

Last edited:
My X1 for the first Test:
Renshaw, Jewell, Ward, Wyllie, Hardie, Kellaway, Peirson, Perry, Bartlett, Johnson, Swepson.

This is one of the more intriguing watches in a while I reckon.

Jewell and Ward had purple patches in the Shield, will be interesting to see how they do on NZ decks.

This is Renshaw's chance to stake a claim for the Ashes.

Wyllie, Hardie, Kellaway are all potential test players in the next 2-3 years, a big series here could significantly reduce that time frame for one of them.

Johnson is a bolter, again, a big series here could catapault him straight into international cricket.

Last edited:
Sutherland ahead of both for mine. But certainly have Kelly ahead of Agar.

I was wondering about Sutherland, most wickets for the year. He's meant to be an allrounder, his batting stats aren't great but he averages 24 with the ball in his FC career, he can't be far away from consideration.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back