Ashes 2023 Squad ( + World Champs Final )

Remove this Banner Ad

Squad is in

World Test Championship Final and Men's Ashes squad: Pat Cummins (c), Scott Boland, Alex Carey, Cameron Green, Marcus Harris, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Josh Inglis, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Marsh, Todd Murphy, Matthew Renshaw, Steve Smith (vc), Mitchell Starc, David Warner

Joose

Club Legend
Jul 23, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Is it too early to kick this thread off?

Nah..here is my shot

Batmen

Kawhaja
Bancroft
Labuschagne
Smith ( Cap )
Head
Handscomb
Cartwright
Green

Keepers

Carey
Inglis

Quicks

Cummins
Hazelwood
Starc
Boland
Morris

Spinners

Lyon
Kuhneman
Murphy

18 players in all - a big squad. Rather long in the tooth though with only Green, Morris, Inglis, Murphy and Kuhnners on the young side. One would be tempted to blood some youngers types such as Johnson, Hardie and maybe a better like Wyllie or McSweeney.

Wouldn't bother with Handscomb can't play pace to save his life Short could be a good shout

Only need 2 spinners so Murphy and Lyon go over with Lyon playing

I would be picking Neser especially those conditions over there

Cartwright I wouldn't really worry about give that spot to a young up coming batter

We need some youth in that squad

Wouldn't bother with Handscomb can't play pace to save his life Short could be a good shout

Only need 2 spinners so Murphy and Lyon go over with Lyon playing

I would be picking Neser especially those conditions over there

Cartwright I wouldn't really worry about give that spot to a young up coming batter

We need some youth in that squad
Any news on the neser injury ?

Our batting depth is poor. I cant remember it being so bleak.

Oh for a David Hussey, Jamie Siddons or Mike DiVenuto sitting idly in the wings.

the squad above seems fair - not sure on cartwright and a 3rd spinner though.

one batting position may only be shaky though - marnus, smith, head, usman and green will occupy 5 of the top 6 spots.

probably only 3 other batting spots up for grabs which could come from warner, renshaw, bancroft , harris (who have all been tried) - what we'd give to have a fit pucovski.

wouldn't have an issue if jhye and neser made the squad if fit.

Nah..here is my shot

Batmen

Kawhaja
Bancroft
Labuschagne
Smith ( Cap )
Head
Handscomb
Cartwright
Green

Keepers

Carey
Inglis

Quicks

Cummins
Hazelwood
Starc
Boland
Morris

Spinners

Lyon
Kuhneman
Murphy

18 players in all - a big squad. Rather long in the tooth though with only Green, Morris, Inglis, Murphy and Kuhnners on the young side. One would be tempted to blood some youngers types such as Johnson, Hardie and maybe a better like Wyllie or McSweeney.
here are some previous ashes squads:

1678874938261.png

NZ ‘A’ tour should give some interesting insights for the fringe members of the squad. I’ll wait on that before picking any players in that regard, core squad;

Ussie
Labs
Smith
Head
Carey
Green
Starc
Cummins
Lyon
Hazlewood
Boland

Bunch of places up for grabs, second spinner should be Murphy, extra quicks will depend on fitness (hopefully) Neser, Morris, opener is a real weak spot currently imo as I don’t really like the look of Bancroft, Harris or Renshaw in those spots. Spare middle order bats isn’t as much of a worry as we have a couple of options and it’s unlikely we’ll need to use them, and spare keeper I’m not big on, bring one if you must. Can’t see a 3rd spinner, but Kuhnemann obviously has done well enough in my opinion if we think we need one - I don’t think we do.

Khawaja
Bancroft
Marnus
Smith
Head
Green
Carey
Starc
Cummins
Lyon
Boland

Harris
Handscomb
Inglis
Neser
Hazlewood
Murphy

This is the best squad we could produce imo, very thin on the batting. Would consider Cartwright/Whitman/Short and would be good to see an ‘A’ player put his hand up.

I’m pretty sure we will see Warner walk out to open in the WTC and first Ashes test at least.

Hopefully, the top 6 perform and stay fit so our lack of batting depth isn’t exposed.

Also, I hope we manage our good bowling attack well. Something I feel like we got right last tour.

Don't need a squad that big when there are no tour matches. And there are enough handy replacements playing county cricket that could be called upon if necessary.

Only need 15.

Head
Khawaja
Labuschagne
Smith
Handscomb
Green
Carey
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood

Boland
Murphy
Inglis
Bancroft

Neser, Whiteman, Abbott and Harris could all be called into the squad as reserve players if a few of the first 15 went down.

The batting lineup is pretty solid bar the second opener, there's just a complete lack of depth which isn't as much of an immediate issue in cricket as it is in contact sports.

Khawaja ??? Labuschagne Smith Head Green Carey is a quality top 6/7. Ruling out Handscombe because as much as I like him as a cricketer he still has too many questions against pace and his last county stint wasn't pretty.

Bancroft deserves his shot at atonement...so I expect to see Warner facing the first ball at Edgebaston.

I'd play Boland over Hazlewood too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't need a squad that big when there are no tour matches. And there are enough handy replacements playing county cricket that could be called upon if necessary.

Only need 15.

Head
Khawaja
Labuschagne
Smith
Handscomb
Green
Carey
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood

Boland
Murphy
Inglis
Bancroft

Neser, Whiteman, Abbott and Harris could all be called into the squad as reserve players if a few of the first 15 went down.
Morris ?

Khawaja
Bancroft
Marnus
Smith
Head
Green
Carey
Starc
Cummins
Lyon
Boland

Harris
Handscomb
Inglis
Neser
Hazlewood
Murphy

This is the best squad we could produce imo, very thin on the batting. Would consider Cartwright/Whitman/Short and would be good to see an ‘A’ player put his hand up.

I’m pretty sure we will see Warner walk out to open in the WTC and first Ashes test at least.

Hopefully, the top 6 perform and stay fit so our lack of batting depth isn’t exposed.

Also, I hope we manage our good bowling attack well. Something I feel like we got right last tour.
Morris?

Not there. Not needed.
Has been in the squad for the past 5 tests why is he not needed ??

To combat Bazball the kiwis used the short tactic and it worked. Having a bowling who can bowl 150 at the head could come in handy...plus morris is fit

IMO I think there is a sameness with hazelwood boland and neser....all three are medium pace which the poms with bazball will attack and you have hazelwood coming back from injury and neser just injured

For me you have

Starc
morris pace

Cummins

hazelwood Boland Seamers

For me Neser misses out due to lack of speed and similar to Boland/Hazelwood ..have him play county cricket and call up when needed

Only need 15.

Head
Khawaja
Labuschagne
Smith
Handscomb
Green
Carey
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood

Boland
Murphy
Inglis
Bancroft

Hazlewood and Starc injury prone these days worries me.Perhaps need Morris in the squad.

Nah..here is my shot

Batmen

Kawhaja
Bancroft
Labuschagne
Smith ( Cap )
Head
Handscomb
Cartwright
Green

Keepers

Carey
Inglis

Quicks

Cummins
Hazelwood
Starc
Boland
Morris

Spinners

Lyon
Kuhneman
Murphy

Surely there is a spinner from WA you could have got in there.

Has been in the squad for the past 5 tests why is he not needed ??

To combat Bazball the kiwis used the short tactic and it worked. Having a bowling who can bowl 150 at the head could come in handy...plus morris is fit

IMO I think there is a sameness with hazelwood boland and neser....all three are medium pace which the poms with bazball will attack and you have hazelwood coming back from injury and neser just injured

For me you have

Starc
morris pace

Cummins

hazelwood Boland Seamers

For me Neser misses out due to lack of speed and similar to Boland/Hazelwood ..have him play county cricket and call up when needed
Rotate through the four quicks and they can bring in Neser if needed. If there are more injuries, then sure, he'd be considered.

You do raise a good question though: why have they been dragging him around India when there was 0% chance of him playing?

I can see the benefit of a developing player spending time with the national team, but surely there's a point where he'd have been better off at home, playing cricket.

Rotate through the four quicks and they can bring in Neser if needed. If there are more injuries, then sure, he'd be considered.

You do raise a good question though: why have they been dragging him around India when there was 0% chance of him playing?

I can see the benefit of a developing player spending time with the national team, but surely there's a point where he'd have been better off at home, playing cricket.

He has missed 4 shield games due to national commitments of mixing the drinks and only played 5. Even Boland has played 4 shield games one less than Morris and he was around the test squad playing test cricket

Morris should not be punished for missing shield games and he is firmly in the frame for the Ashes IMO

At least he is 100% fit not like some of our bowlers hazelwood etc

Morris should not be punished for missing shield games and he is firmly in the frame for the Ashes IMO

At least he is 100% fit not like some of our bowlers hazelwood etc

Punished is irrelevant. You either warrant selection or you don't.

However I agree he should be in the squad for the Ashes. Either he is close so should be in the squad or if the vibe is nah he should have been released a while ago to play Shield.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back