2023 ICC Men's Cricket World Cup Game 47 Second Semi Final South Africa v Australia 16/11 1900hrs @ Eden Gardens

Remove this Banner Ad

Why would they do that?

Why would they serve up a wicket, that gives an opportunity to turn the final into a lottery, when they have not one, but three world class spinners in their squad, that can cause problems on relatively normal pitches, when their opposition has one?
They did it in one of the tests earlier this year, which we won.

I suspect they will have learned their lesson and won't do that again, though. I think we'll see a pretty high scoring wicket.

Why would they do that?

Why would they serve up a wicket, that gives an opportunity to turn the final into a lottery, when they have not one, but three world class spinners in their squad, that can cause problems on relatively normal pitches, when their opposition has one?

How do people not get this after years of watching it happen in all countries?

Australia DONT get helped when they serve up absolute green tops because often it will negate the fact that they usually have bowlers who can get sideways movement out of even the most benign surfaces. What it does is often bring opposition bowlers into the equation, while bringing Australian batsmen back to the pack.
Likewise, when Indian pitches are diabolically challenging, it brings their own batsmen back to the field, while making visiting spinners more dangerous than they would otherwise be.

It serves no logical purpose for the hosts to do this and if they do, they’re idiots

Don't they want a 450 to 449 win though?

I suspect they will have learned their lesson and won't do that again, though. I think we'll see a pretty high scoring wicket.

Exactly.
It isn’t in their interest in any way to create a dodgy wicket.

Before India learned how to play overseas Australia served up a real seam friendly WACA wicket and RP Singh of all people led them to a win there.
Australia served up a green top at Sydney and had Pakistan not deliberately lost the game, the sublime but criminal Mo Asif would have led them to a brilliant victory there.
For God only knows what reason, Australia served up a green top to - wait for it - Vernon Philander at Hobart. Well f*** that worked out well didn’t it.

You’d think they’d have learned their lesson from the time they rolled out a green wicket in Hobart and Doug Bracewell of all people bowled NZ to victory.

It worked really well for India too when they served up a pitch so shoddy that Michael Clarke took 6/9

Whilst tactically no Einstein, I agree you can't fault Cummins appetite for the fight, and whilst hasn't been at his best with the ball, has bowled some decent overs and hung in there and contributed with the bat.
He took a great catch last night to get rid of a key SA batsman as well.

A successful though not convincing win, but here we are in the last game at the ass-end of another world cup.
India big favourites, and they will punish any poor cricket. Looked like they had a few sore people though?

Then they went the other way & prepared this very upcoming pitch into a dead track, so they were guarenteed to win the series.

On Redmi Note 8 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Call me skeptical, but India gets an extra day of recovery and remains on the same side of the country where the Final will be played after playing on a feather bed. Meanwhile, Australia goes to the opposite side of India and play on a pitch the Sirāj al-Dawlah the Nawab of Bengal would've been proud of. 17 wickets fell for 427 runs in what has been a high scoring batting tournament. Australia dug themselves out of a black hole in this semi final, but i like their chances in the final!

If we bat first anything can happen.

Exactly.
It isn’t in their interest in any way to create a dodgy wicket.

Before India learned how to play overseas Australia served up a real seam friendly WACA wicket and RP Singh of all people led them to a win there.
Australia served up a green top at Sydney and had Pakistan not deliberately lost the game, the sublime but criminal Mo Asif would have led them to a brilliant victory there.
For God only knows what reason, Australia served up a green top to - wait for it - Vernon Philander at Hobart. Well f*** that worked out well didn’t it.

You’d think they’d have learned their lesson from the time they rolled out a green wicket in Hobart and Doug Bracewell of all people bowled NZ to victory.

It worked really well for India too when they served up a pitch so shoddy that Michael Clarke took 6/9
Australia didn't serve up wickets in the same way. Cricket Australia didn't contact venues and say "create a pitch like this". The approach in Australia is to aim to deliver a pitch unique to your venue that offers a contest between bat and ball.

We are not in the same stratosphere when it comes to pitch doctoring. I've never heard any Cricket Australia representative come out in the media asking for certain pitches. The prevailing attitude is that it's upto the curator to produce the pitch

Australia didn't serve up wickets in the same way. Cricket Australia didn't contact venues and say "create a pitch like this". The approach in Australia is to aim to deliver a pitch unique to your venue that offers a contest between bat and ball.

We are not in the same stratosphere when it comes to pitch doctoring. I've never heard any Cricket Australia representative come out in the media asking for certain pitches. The prevailing attitude is that it's upto the curator to produce the pitch

I don’t recall saying that they are.
However I’ve read year after year of ******* fans saying ‘wait till they come here and we roll out a green top for them’ without stopping to realise what the likely implications of that are.

In addition, while i fully acknowledge there are loads of occasions where pitches in India have and do get made to order, there are also loads when they just simply produce pitches that spin in a country where - wait for it - pitches naturally spin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if the result against India rattled South Africa a little bit. Before that match a part from the hiccup against the Netherlands, the Proteas were very close to matching India performance wise and both teams looked the clear top 2.

Don't see an issue to complain about with the venue or rest.
Firstly cricket is hardly the most taxing sport, particularly one day cricket. Whether it's 2 days, 3 days or whatever there's no difference.

And the other point is they finished top, they haven't lost a game, some advantage as a result is ok.
I don't care about the advantage part of your post but you are kidding yourself if you don't think Cricket isn't a taxing sport for a lot of the players.

I don't care about the advantage part of your post but you are kidding yourself if you don't think Cricket isn't a taxing sport for a lot of the players.
Playing a one day game and then backing up three or four days later is really not much of a difference. The final being on Sunday means the Aussies have had three days to recover. Lack of recovery won't be an issue.

It is but I think after a couple of days, it becomes much of a muchness particularly where white ball cricket is concerned. I don’t doubt that in these conditions you get knocked around a lot and you do need a good spell for a day or two after but beyond that I think there’s not a huge advantage

I wonder if the result against India rattled South Africa a little bit. Before that match a part from the hiccup against the Netherlands, the Proteas were very close to matching India performance wise and both teams looked the clear top 2.
I think it was just a really good toss to lose. We got the best seam and swing conditions I have seen all tournament, Starc and Hazlewood were as accurate as they have been all tournament and our fielding was insane.

It all just came together for us in those first couple of overs. After those early wickets it was always going to be an uphill battle for South Africa.

Don't be surprised if the pitch for the World Cup Final on Sunday turns out to be a 'raging Turner'/spinning wicket that will clearly advantage India with their spin bowlers and also let Virat Kohli make yet another 100.

On 5002X using BigFooty.com mobile app

A low scoring bowler friendly pitch is 100 percent what we want and our bets chance of an upset. india have better bowling lineup and both sides can dominate on flat decks a higher scoring game favours them lot more than a dodgy deck low scoring affair.

Why would they do that?

How do people not get this after years of watching it happen in all countries?

Australia DONT get helped when they serve up absolute green tops because often it will negate the fact that they usually have bowlers who can get sideways movement out of even the most benign surfaces. What it does is often bring opposition bowlers into the equation, while bringing Australian batsmen back to the pack.
Likewise, when Indian pitches are diabolically challenging, it brings their own batsmen back to the field, while making visiting spinners more dangerous than they would otherwise be.

It serves no logical purpose for the hosts to do this and if they do, they’re idiots
Its not why would they do that.... the point is it would not surprise me if they did.....they the indian players have too much influence over what pitches they want to play on be that batting decks or raging bunsens .... its not right and goes against the spirit of the game IMO

Remove this Banner Ad

Back