Ashes 2023 Squad ( + World Champs Final )

Remove this Banner Ad

Squad is in

World Test Championship Final and Men's Ashes squad: Pat Cummins (c), Scott Boland, Alex Carey, Cameron Green, Marcus Harris, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Josh Inglis, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Marsh, Todd Murphy, Matthew Renshaw, Steve Smith (vc), Mitchell Starc, David Warner

Can't see much imagination from the selectors here. Warner and Harris will given an opportunity for redemption, thus piling the pressure on Uzzie to succeed. The middle order is a given. Does Bancroft get the nod over Renshaw? Both are better openers then middle order batsman, but I guess if needed, can bat anywhere from 1-6.

Carey is a given, with Inglis to sit on the pine as back up. The NSW bowling cartel are also monty's, with Boland as first back up and Neser after that. With Stokes advocating for flat pitches, surely some express speed is needed? Will the selectors be adventurous and take a Johnson or Morris?

Lyon and Murphy surely are the two spinners to get an Ashes ticket. Not too sure if there will be a dark horse, left field selection...if so, then perhaps Hardie and Johnson could be candidates. I am expecting the selectors to play it safe with their thought processing and role out the cliche responses when asked why they chose the players they did.

Typical Taylor (most of the commentary team) sticking up for their mates

Would rather given Renshaw/Harris/Bancroft a shot

Would bet good money that if one of those guys get picked for the first ashes test and have a double failure you’d be here posting: ‘why are we picking hacks who average mid 20s after 15 tests?’.

Last edited:
Will the selectors be adventurous and take a Johnson or Morris?
Be good is they can take both but I doubt it as evidently the full squad will comprise no more than 18 players, 8 bats/8 bowlers and two keepers.
I will have a crack at a probable 18.

bat: Warner, Khawaja, Labuchagne, Smith, Green, Head, Harris/Renshaw, Handscomb/Bancroft.
ball: Cummins, Hazlewood, Starc, Boland, Neser, Morris, Lyon, Murphy/Kuhnemann.
keeper: Carey, Inglis.

Last edited:

Bison is the perfect Travis head injury replacement
You'd have to think that a 31 year old who averages 25 after 32 tests is pretty lucky, but he certainly has something about him.

Squad is in

World Test Championship Final and Men's Ashes squad: Pat Cummins (c), Scott Boland, Alex Carey, Cameron Green, Marcus Harris, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Josh Inglis, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Marsh, Todd Murphy, Matthew Renshaw, Steve Smith (vc), Mitchell Starc, David Warner
Mitch Marsh ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Just no

Seems all but official that CA will make the Ashes Davey Warner's swan song. He has been penciled in to play the WTC final and at least the first two Ashes Tests. His farewell will be either after those or if he scores big after any further matches.
Isn't that just repeating what Taylor said yesterday? 🤣🤣

You'd have to think that a 31 year old who averages 25 after 32 tests is pretty lucky, but he certainly has something about him.
Mitch Marsh ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Just no
His best form in all forms of the game has been the last couple of years though, he is the best replacement if head goes down as that #5 run a ball player

Don't see a spot for him otherwise (unless bazball absolutely smashes us in the first 3 tests and we decide to take it on, * I hope it doesn't come to that though)

Seems all but official that CA will make the Ashes Davey Warner's swan song. He has been penciled in to play the WTC final and at least the first two Ashes Tests. His farewell will be either after those or if he scores big after any further matches.
I hope his wife's depression can handle seeing Davey getting smacked around all over England

Squad is in

I hope before this final the squad plays a lead up 4 day game against a county side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HOT OFF THE PRESS:

Bison gets a recall. Huh!!
Who knew Lance Morris was out with a back injury he picked up in India. What bowling off spin???
Upon his return from India. As in could be the match he played after that I'd say.

Good squad, can't fault it. Neser, Morris (if not injured), Bancroft, Handscomb are all going to be over there playing county cricket anyway so can easily come in to the squad if more injury cover is needed.

And LOL @ Cricket Australia justifying Warner's selection by referencing that Boxing Day double century. I knew that would cost us in the long run as it was happening. I'm surprised they didn't mention the undeserved MOTS.

Squad is in

I realised it was listed alphabetically but as i read through the more names i read the more i hoped i wouldn't see Warners name. Sadly...

He's got no chance on decks with a bit of sideways movement. Going to continue to be a walking wicket

Predictable squad announced.
No dare whatsover.

Mitch Marsh back?
Grand Uncle Horris will be on suicide watch.

I love Mitch as a white ball cricketer but a test cricketer he ain't.

As other have said, would've picked Banners over Harris.
Despite one member banging on that he's not, Harris is a dreadful fielder.
Even Mark Taylor said he is.

At least it's only for the first 2 tests so I imagine Warner has been told he's got 2 tests to make runs or he's gone.
The Poms will get Warner out for fun.

Word is CA is making this Ashes the little slugger's swan song. He has been penciled to play in the WTC final and the first two Ashes matches. His farewell match will be either be at the end of the second or if he scores big after any further matches.

No dare whatsover.
Yes tho Marsh is a horses for courses pick if bazball pitches are prepared as he is a white ball slugger. A good dare would have been Spencer Johnson.

Isn't that just repeating what Taylor said yesterday? 🤣🤣
Whose Taylor? I read that is this mornings Tele.

Last edited:
Expected more WA venting over the lack of Bancroft or has Marsh and Inglis placated them for now
Bancroft has been in dreadful form in England take away the WACCA road he might not be much chop

Remove this Banner Ad

Back