Australia Squads for Tour of Sri Lanka

Remove this Banner Ad

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
Squads out today for the tour in June-July which comprises 3 T20Is, 5 ODIs and 2 Tests.

Australia T20 squad: Aaron Finch (c), Sean Abbott, Ashton Agar, Josh Hazlewood, Josh Inglis, Mitchell Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Jhye Richardson, Kane Richardson, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Marcus Stoinis, Mitchell Swepson, Matthew Wade, David Warner

Australia ODI squad: Aaron Finch (c), Ashton Agar, Alex Carey, Pat Cummins, Cameron Green, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Josh Inglis, Marnus Labuschagne, Mitchell Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Marcus Stoinis, Mitchell Swepson, David Warner

Australia Test squad: Pat Cummins (c), Ashton Agar, Scott Boland, Alex Carey, Cameron Green, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Josh Inglis, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Marsh, Steve Smith (vc), Mitchell Starc, Mitchell Swepson, David Warner

There will also be an A team squad to play against Sri Lanka A in 2 OD games and 2 FC games:

Australia A squad: Sean Abbott, Scott Boland, Peter Handscomb, Aaron Hardie, Marcus Harris, Travis Head, Henry Hunt, Josh Inglis, Matthew Kuhnemann, Nic Maddinson, Todd Murphy, Josh Philippe, Matt Renshaw, Jhye Richardson, Tanveer Sangha, Mark Steketee

The weirdest part of this whole tour is the 5 ODIs. They've picked a basically full strength squad for it yet they don't form part of the Super League for World Cup qualifying of which we still need to play 4 x 3-match series in the next 12 months. So we'll pick a full strength squad in the white-ball games with no consequences yet we've rested (and I assume will continue to do so) players in the ODI series with consequences. I don't get it.

The weirdest part of this whole tour is the 5 ODIs. They've picked a basically full strength squad for it yet they don't form part of the Super League for World Cup qualifying of which we still need to play 4 x 3-match series in the next 12 months. So we'll pick a full strength squad in the white-ball games with no consequences yet we've rested (and I assume will continue to do so) players in the ODI series with consequences. I don't get it.
Yeah I thought the 5 ODI's was two too many was expecting only 3 ODI's

Sri Lanka needs the revenue I guess

Scottie/Josh in two squads test and Aus A??? aren't they playing at the same time ??

is that a typo ??

Good to see them getting some cricket rather than sitting on the pine

Squads out today for the tour in June-July which comprises 3 T20Is, 5 ODIs and 2 Tests.

Australia T20 squad: Aaron Finch (c), Sean Abbott, Ashton Agar, Josh Hazlewood, Josh Inglis, Mitchell Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Jhye Richardson, Kane Richardson, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Marcus Stoinis, Mitchell Swepson, Matthew Wade, David Warner

Australia ODI squad: Aaron Finch (c), Ashton Agar, Alex Carey, Pat Cummins, Cameron Green, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Josh Inglis, Marnus Labuschagne, Mitchell Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Marcus Stoinis, Mitchell Swepson, David Warner

Australia Test squad: Pat Cummins (c), Ashton Agar, Scott Boland, Alex Carey, Cameron Green, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Josh Inglis, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Marsh, Steve Smith (vc), Mitchell Starc, Mitchell Swepson, David Warner

There will also be an A team squad to play against Sri Lanka A in 2 OD games and 2 FC games:

Australia A squad: Sean Abbott, Scott Boland, Peter Handscomb, Aaron Hardie, Marcus Harris, Travis Head, Henry Hunt, Josh Inglis, Matthew Kuhnemann, Nic Maddinson, Todd Murphy, Josh Philippe, Matt Renshaw, Jhye Richardson, Tanveer Sangha, Mark Steketee
Scott Boland is a gun isn't he, made the Test Squad and the Australia A Squad.

Scottie/Josh in two squads test and Aus A??? aren't they playing at the same time ??

is that a typo ??

Australia A fixtures

June 8:
First one-day game, Colombo
June 10: Second one-day game, Colombo

June 14-17: First-class tour match Hambantota
June 21-24: First-class tour match, Hambantota

Qantas Tour of Sri Lanka, 2022
June 7:
First T20, Colombo
June 8: Second T20, Colombo
June 11: Third T20, Kandy

June 14: First ODI, Kandy
June 16: Second ODI, Kandy
June 19: Third ODI, Colombo
June 21: Fourth ODI, Colombo
June 24: Fifth ODI, Colombo

June 29 - July 3: First Test, Galle
July 8-12: Second Test, Galle

Squads are fairly self explanatory

happy that hardie is in the Aus A squad nice to see his shield final form rewarded
How did Marsh make the Test squad. No way Jose.
That is a strong A squad. Some good players of spin which you need on the sub continent. Wanted Whiteman.. can consider himself unlucky. Todd Who??? Is Ellis injured as he is not in either squad? Agree about Hardie. He will play all formats for Australia. Neil-Smith must still be injured.
aren't they playing at the same tim
No I read the As were playing their series first. Good selection policy should there be injury or form loss then the A boys are ready to step up.
Street paid for a poor second Shield round. Tho he was the only Aussie to ton up against the Lions last year. So can consider himself unlucky. Can blame Harris too.

My 4 day X1:
Hunt, Harris, Handscomb, Renshaw, Head, Philippe/Maddinson, Inglis, Hardie, Richardson, Boland, Sangha.

Last edited:
Don't Australia/England/India automatically qualify?

Don't Australia/England/India automatically qualify?
India do as hosts. The rest don't however it would take a colossal effort for Australia to lose enough games to not automatically qualify right now. These are standing at the moment with each team to play 24 games:

Capture.PNG

Hi guys,first post. Interesting stuff I've read so far,pretty hostile towards our players,golly gosh. A couple of decent people though i hope I can work with.

Anyway,nice easy one to start,Test squad pretty much picked itself.

I've noticed its hard to escape a page without talk of Harris,Maxwell or Street on here. Interesting one is in the A squad and two arent, which I agree with. Thought Whiteman might have been a chance, but maybe biased as a WA resident so i'll just leave that one.
Why is Street so popular on here? Obviously a great player to make Shield level, but surely he'll have to learn to turn the strike over at Shield level before he's considered for higher honours? That one really has me stumped.
I think Maxwell will struggle to make the Australian team again, and fair enough.

I'm sure we will get to hear all about Harris,Maxwell and Street a multitude of times in the coming pages,but I'll be interested to hear some other stuff.

What are peoples thoughts on Whiteman?

Spinning depth is a bit of a concern after Lyon,who continues to bowl well, but some support would be nice in Sri Lanka.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Harris binned, I wonder how long it takes him to make another test squad.

Just not sure they will select Harris again.If Head had of not got covid and his replacement Khawja got twin tons in that test Harris could have been still in the test team.Maxwell,s test days look over seeing he is not in the Australia A squad.

Not according to Ronnie. He and George Bailey know of his previous success on the sub continent, so I see Maxie as a possible horses for courses selection in either the BG or the A X1 should he kill em in the white ballers. Lets face it we need all the good players of spin that we can find. Pete Handscomb is another that may find himself promoted if he can smash down the door in the A four dayers. When I pushed for a Test recall for Handscomb people here scoffed. Still a chance as he is one of our best spin players and our brain's trust know it...

Maxwell is not named in the 16 man Australia A squad,only 1 day and T20 squads.If they were considering him for test cricket again he would have been in the Australia A squad.

No Harris in the Test squad!

zach-galifianakis-smile.gif

Head selector George Bailey has left the door ajar for players like Glenn Maxwell to be late additions to Australia's Test squad in Sri Lanka if they "shoot the lights out" in the white-ball internationals or Australia A matches that precede the Test series. (CA website)

"We know Glenn has had some red-ball success in sub continent conditions and we're looking forward to him getting back and playing a good block of cricket through the T20s and one-day cricket." Bailey said.

That is absurd,if selectors are looking at Maxwell as a test player lets judge him on playing in the Australia A games,not this T20 crap or even 1 day.

I thought Maxwell was very hard done by 4 years ago but surely the ship has sailed. Last time I saw him play he'd opened his stance completely to slog better, and it wasn't even working for that. The test cricket ship that is

No wonder Pommie Test cricket is in such a parlous state given the County batting belters produced. In one match.. first innings Surrey 603 to Gloucestershire 2/443 with a pair of double hundreds from each team. How do such easy paced decks build a solid technique needed for the rigors of Test cricket. The ECB has to insist county curators prepare their pitches to at least challenge the batsman.
I thought Maxwell was very hard done by 4 years ago but surely the ship has sailed.
The only reason they are looking at Maxwell is his spin play ability. He did score a ton in India in 2017.. not an easy feat on their notorious dust bowls. So I am with George and Ronnie. But why did they not pick him for the Aussie A four dayers instead of pointless ODIs. A no brainer.

Looking likely again that Josh Hazlewood will be made the scapegoat if as expected the BGs go into both Galle Tests with two, perhaps even three tweakers. The big Tamworth quick is being treated rather shabbily for someone of his reputation. Ok he does not have an earth shattering record on the sub continent but he is a vastly improved bowler since touring India in 2017, the island state a year earlier while still a virtual Test rookie.

Last edited:
Looking likely again that Josh Hazlewood will be made the scapegoat if as expected the BGs go into both Galle Tests with two, perhaps even three tweakers. The big Tamworth quick is being treated rather shabbily for someone of his reputation. Ok he does not have an earth shattering record on the sub continent but he is a vastly improved bowler since touring India in 2017, the island state a year earlier while still a virtual Test rookie.
so you'd drop Starc to fit him in? if not, how do you fit him into the XI?

Yeah i dont think he is a scapegoat but in Sl we need at least two spinners so with green there is room then for only two quicks and one spot is taken by skipper so how do you leave starc out when reverse swing is likely going to play its part again? It should be pointed out starc actually dominated the last time we toured SL he is the right choice as second quick in these particular conditions.

is that a typo ??

and that's exactly what it will be.

getting some valuable game time into them, in case they are required come the test series.
the travis head selection baffles me a little - will he be the scapecoat if we throw in green @5, carey @6, agar @7 ?
maybe mitch marsh could have been in the A squad?

the test squad was no surprise keeping everyone from the pakistan tour except steketee and harris and only being a 2 test series.

lets hope nothing happens to warner and khawaja at last minute as there is no reserve opening batsmen as the A team will be home.

likely team: warner, khawaja, labuschagne, smith, head, green, carey, starc, cummins, lyon, hazlewood
with only swepson and agar to come into calcualtions and marsh, inglis and boland on the pine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back