Autopsy Autopsy V Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Before the season started, this exact scenario was expected to play out. Most seemed comfortable with it at the time. I knew the reality would be different and the meltdowns would be a sight to behold. Losing sucks.

Patience etc..

I want to believe. I really really do but it’s just so sad that over the years I have gone from “when will we win another flag?” to “when will we win another game?” It’s bloody disheartening. Like legit - when the actual * will we win another game?????
We won a game 4 games ago

Me, almost 5 months pregnant and my grandpa, 82, hobbling down the street in our North scarves and a random car pulls up and screams out the window “go carlton, North Melbourne suck” before speeding off. Must be a friend of the guy that drove past Eddie Betts’ house the other night

I know I watch games though blue and white coloured glasses, but I don't think I've ever witnessed a game with so many inconsistent decisions that overwhelmingly went against one team/North. I don't know what my neighbours must think of me when all I seem to be doing is screaming obscenities at my tele. I thought last year's game was as bad as it could get, but the umps really outdid themselves today. It isn't as if Carlton needed the freebies because right now they are better and more experienced than we are. The same applies to the handouts that continue to be given to Curnow and McKay for trivialities when they already are too big and strong for our KPDs. It spoiled what might otherwise have been a decent game. I assess the umps' impact on the game at around 6 goals to the benefit of Carlton.

Looking past the umpiring, perhaps the most disappointing aspect of this game was how our midfield was outplayed by what I consider to be a fairly mediocre midfield without Walsh. We lack composure under pressure and turn the ball over far too easily when Carlton swarmed our ball carriers. I think I have overestimated the strength of our midfield up to now. It also confirms how much of a loss no longer having TT is. That is a far bigger loss than the sum total of the underwhelming assistance we received from the AFL in 2022 and 2023 combined.

It appears we are on track for 15 or 16 ruptured Achilles tendons this year. WTF is going on there? It will force one badly needed selection change, but there should be at least 2 more after today. Once again we had too many passengers or players out of their depth. Clarko and his team need to come up with a system where we are less easily exposed in our D50.

We won a game 4 games ago
Yeah against an opponent who had no interest in winning.

I’m not seeing much light at the end of the tunnel, we all are in agreement that we can’t win when our midfield is badly beaten. The problem is even if our midfield was to dominate 80% of a game, the 20% the opposition gets on us would still be enough to beat us as nobody can stand up down back.

3 weeks in and I already need a week off footy. Another painful season ahead.
I'll probably keep watching for mckercher and wardlaw but then again I can easily do that after the game on the afl app.
I've been going to every home game possible since about 1992. This is the first time I've considered staying at home instead and not putting myself through this any more.

WE were on the backfoot from the word go with the amount of dropped marks in the backline and 50 meter frees...Powell got better as the game went on , LDU needs to learn to break a tag , Corr, Pink, Stevo, Stevens, Tucker and a couple of others need to do more. On the positive note the progress of Sheezel, Wardlaw, McKercher and Duursma show that we are on the right track. Having CCJ out will make way for someone to take his spot either Sellers, Ford, Comben and Phillips come to mind...

Posted this last week. Opposition’s scoring efficiency into fwd 50 was 60% plus in round 1 and 2 which is very high relative to league average. Got it down to 54% today but still way to high
Rick18 is this due to agressive north ball or poor backline or high turnovers or all of the above 😂

Attachments

• E5523DB5-AB67-4079-ACA3-11FB04AB1F34.png
    E5523DB5-AB67-4079-ACA3-11FB04AB1F34.png
    118.6 KB · Views: 64

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Genuinely just really ******* depressing.

A lot of calls at the start of the year we would win 5-6 games and honestly I couldn’t take that serious. Umpiring aside we lack so much awareness - players like Zurhaar and Stevo waltzing around like no one is behind them.

Larkey the only campaigner that actually showed he cared imo.

LDU for most of the game was concerning and got beat easily.

Thanks god for Wardlaw and Sheezel.

Ave.losing margin this year already 40 points .
Next 2 weeks will blow that out further.

Jesus, Geelong at Geelong in a fortnight.. ................... ..........................l could cry 😥
I just checked. We play the bears next. Thank goodness. I'm chalking that one down as a win.

Posted this last week. Opposition’s scoring efficiency into fwd 50 was 60% plus in round 1 and 2 which is very high relative to league average. Got it down to 54% today but still way to high
Rick18 is this due to agressive north ball or poor backline or high turnovers or all of the above
😂
it's poor pressure on the ball carrier and a stoppage structure that gives them easy exits.

Such a weird team where a third of the players are top liners in a good side but the others are mostly VFL standard. We're still in the "bad outweighing the good" stage unfortunately.

But you don't need ability to chase and tackle. Having 21 less tackles in a 50pt flogging is the most unacceptable element of the performance. As for all the preseason bluster about "being sick of losing"... well the other team out on the park wanted it more than you today. Wardlaw must be embarrassed to play with some of his teammates.

Still nowhere near it. Three games in and for all the Northball nonsense we've lost three by an average of 40 points and whilst there have been some flashes, there has been plenty of dross. We've won 2 of 12 quarters. Tough draw, but we should be challenging for wins and we were beaten at 3/4 time each week. I'm trying to think how we're significantly better this year than we were last. It's like the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. We can see where the rainbow ends, but as we get closer to it, it gets further away.

Genuine question - who was the last player to come to us from another club and look like they genuinely bought in and made the team noticeably better? Marley Williams for one year? At a stretch??? If not him then we're going back to Higgins & Waite who were highly rated free agents before they came. Since Williams we've had Hartung, Hall, Pittard, Polec, Tyson, Campbell, Walker, Bonar, Corr, Menadue, Stephenson, Young, Bosenavulagi, Coleman-Jones, Greenwood, Logue, Shiels, Howe, Tucker, Fisher and Stephens. Some of those had a go but weren't/aren't good enough to make the team better and I'd contend that to this point none fit both criteria.

Also, the two teams were umpired differently today. No one of any consequence will say it openly this week and it didn't change the game. But it's true. I understand umpires making mistakes, and just having a poor game. I don't understand how different standards can be applied to two teams.

Last edited:
Me, almost 5 months pregnant and my grandpa, 82, hobbling down the street in our North scarves and a random car pulls up and screams out the window “go carlton, North Melbourne suck” before speeding off. Must be a friend of the guy that drove past Eddie Betts’ house the other night
Sums up Carlton supporters

I was disappointed but I found the team's performance far from disappointing, despite the size of the defeat. We came up against one of the premiership favorite's who have built their recent success on playing a high pressure game and at this stage of our development we are too young, too inexperienced and lack the strength to match them. We were able to remain competitive for large periods of the game but lack the polish or composure to match it with them for the full 100 minutes.

• Xerri and Powell continued there stellar starts to the season, I had doubts about Xerri, but I think has been a bit of a revelation this season and his stats aren't too different to Goldstein's over the past 6/7 seasons. I don't think this was Powell's best game, but I don't think it was too far away, he has been very consistent to start the season and has probably been our best player over the first three weeks.
  • After a slow first quarter Stephens was very good.
  • Eddie Ford came on an immediately made an impression, I would hope from here Clarko gives him a decent run on the ground on not make him the sub.
  • Paul Curtis was great, perhaps his best game for the club, looked dangerous whenever he had the ball.
  • That was the worst and most one-sided umpiring performance I have seen since the 1994 preliminary Final, thankfully it's only round three and won't cost us a chance of winning a premiership. That being said, I still think they deserve to be skinned and left outside AFL House as a warning to the others.

Still nowhere near it. Three games in and for all the Northball nonsense we've lost three by an average of 40 points and whilst there have been some flashes, there has been plenty of dross. Tough draw, but we should be challenging for wins and we were beaten at 3/4 time each week. I'm trying to think how we're significantly better this year than we were last. It's like the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. We can see where the rainbow ends, but as we get closer to it, it gets further away.

Genuine question - who was the last player to come to us from another club and look like they genuinely bought in and made the team noticeably better? Marley Williams for one year? At a stretch??? If not him then we're going back to Higgins & Waite who were highly rated free agents before they came. Since Williams we've had Hartung, Hall, Pittard, Polec, Tyson, Campbell, Walker, Bonar, Corr, Menadue, Stephenson, Young, Bosenavulagi, Coleman-Jones, Greenwood, Logue, Shiels, Howe, Tucker, Fisher and Stephens. Some of those had a go but weren't/aren't good enough to make the team better but I'd contend that to this point none fit both criteria.

Also, the two teams were umpired differently today. No one of any consequence will say it openly this week and it didn't change the game. But it's true. I understand umpires making mistakes, and just having a poor game. I don't understand how different standards can be applied to two teams.

We need to just turn the phone off during trade week.

Nothing good has come from anything but pick trading for about 7-8 years.

Journeyman hack after journeyman hack.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back