Autopsy Autopsy V Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the umpiring took what should have been a 25-35 point margin, telling the story of a young side that was able to match a premiership contender for extended portions, into the 56-point margin that we saw, which I don't think accurately depicts how even the contest was at times.
This, exactly.

The umpiring was unacceptably awful, but all it did was widen the margin. It didn't lose us the game.

Our midfield got dominated and that was the issue.

I went to the game, unusually. I thought the umpiring really soured it for me and my partner. It doesn't matter if we would have lost anyway. When your team is frankly being umpired differently (because the missed calls, particularly for htb, were consistent throughout the game), it sucks all of the fun out.

Round 8, vs saints, boycott away game, our next Melbourne away game verses cats, not point with that one, cats supporters n members always fills, it may be 5 weeks away, but let the afl we are dinkum, we are pissed off with decisions that the umps make, not in our favour, at the least, I may be based in Perth, but always attend the Perth away games, and frequently visit Melbourne 2 to 3 times a year, solely to watch play n train, have so past 20 years, plus when we remember all north final games, either, Melbourne, Sydney eg, remember north Melbourne Melbourne based members n supporters we only had over 17k attendance for our first 2024 home game against the docks, which was a major kick in the guts for us interstate members n supporters, for a poor effort for you, to witness our team and new kids for 2024, considering, you didn’t show up for that, so make a stand and boycott round 8, at least it’s away game, and it won’t financially hurt the club,

Big positive for the day was the crowd. Nearly 50k, and the North fans were clearly louder.

North end was pumping until the final siren.

This, exactly.

The umpiring was unacceptably awful, but all it did was widen the margin. It didn't lose us the game.

Our midfield got dominated and that was the issue.
Look corr didn't have a flash game but here's the holding paid against him in the 1st quarter ..note the score line too... 20240329_211141.jpg 20240329_211532.jpg

Just want to say. I’m ok if Z wants to go. Like him as a person and his loyalty too club but I’ve always found him too inconsistent and thought we actually started playing better last year when he was injured. (Not that we have anyone else knocking down the door for his position)

I'm a little surprised by how negative this thread is. I'm sick of losing too, but our improvement is obvious, and the wins will soon come.

I’ll give you the fact that we move the ball faster, tick. It’s attractive sure, but exposes other glaring deficiencies. A couple individuals taking next steps Powell, Curtis, Xerri etc. But what is this obvious overall improvement that everyone is alluding to?.

Sure we kick a few more goals because how fast we are moving the footy. But it also leaves us open and exposed defensively.

Our pressure is still piss poor other than that first quarter vs Freo where we had the ball locked into our half.

Position wise, still gaps everywhere. The biggest ones in defence and if people think thats a quick fix they are kidding themselves.

I hate to be a glass half empty guy, but good lord the glaring holes in the list are painful to think about, especially the entire defensive group.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We desperately need another big defensively minded mid. But the umpires sucked all the joy out of the game. People were going off their head in the third quarter, but they just kept paying 50/50 frees to Carlton (#25 particularly, who I gave a piece of my mind when he was in earshot) and it just left everyone so flat, including the team. I’m almost 40 and I reckon that’s the worst I’ve seen live. We lose regardless but the umpiring ruined any chance of a fair contest.

Last edited:
THey are genuine class. I added Scott in too. AA potential. It is alot to build on.

I agree our drafting from other clubs has been diabolical
The issue we’ve had with recruiting players from other clubs is the good players have to want to come. And they haven’t thus far. We haven’t exactly been a destination club. Hopefully that changes with the optimism around our young players and hopefully some wins!! For the love of god, give us some wins!

I'm a little surprised by how negative this thread is. I'm sick of losing too, but our improvement is obvious, and the wins will soon come.

I think the umpiring took what should have been a 25-35 point margin, telling the story of a young side that was able to match a premiership contender for extended portions, into the 56-point margin that we saw, which I don't think accurately depicts how even the contest was at times.

Carlton's pressure was elite, and ours was probably not where it should have been. We won the clearances 43 to 40, but Carlton were able to do significantly more damage when they won the ball. I thought they played brilliant football today, but so did we for portions.

There were a lot of individual positives too, most notably from Powell, Curtis, Xerri, Sheezel, Wardlaw, and McKercher.

Turning 50-60 point losses into 25-35 point losses is much easier than turning 25-35 point losses into wins.

We may have won the clearances in the end but partway through the 2nd quarter when the game was still within our grasp those stoppage numbers were comfortably in Carltons favour.

We've been saying that wins will come soon for the last 3-4 years now, and there's only so long we can get by on the individual positives without overall team improvement.

I don’t know why people come onto the Board announcing that today was going to be a win and the start of a new era when were up against two inform Forwards

Just creates a false level of expectation and then the enduring disappointment of getting smashed

The Umpiring is still not our problem

We lack KPP Tall Forward to help out Larks, a KPP Half Back and Full Back and a quality Ruck

Time to move out a few under performers and rotate a few through

So back to the Trade and Draft we go; the jigsaw is coming together but we need the corners

Heads up, some equivalent Teams coming up

Was that the one when he engaged the body about 5 seconds to early when the ball was about 25m away?
Watching the replay of it the ball was coming to a marking contest....umps quick on the whistle

A little off subject, but your childhood should be carefree and about fun and learning and not a fight to stay alive, I hope Imogen and all the kids out there today enjoyed the day and wish them all the best for the battles that lie ahead.

As for Clarko, I thought his comments were far more realistic than some of the crap people have been spewing here today, we are still in the early stages of our rebuild while Carlton is competing for a Premiership, and a number of people on this board seem to have forgotten that.

Posted this last week. Opposition’s scoring efficiency into fwd 50 was 60% plus in round 1 and 2 which is very high relative to league average. Got it down to 54% today but still way to high
Rick18 is this due to agressive north ball or poor backline or high turnovers or all of the above 😂

Everything! :sweatsmile:

The extra part of that as it relates to today is a lot of those North turnovers result in Carlton scores because the Blues players hadn't caught up with the play yet and were behind it.

Once the turnover comes, those Blues players are suddenly in lots of space ahead of the ball which is impossible to defend against.

A little off subject, but your childhood should be carefree and about fun and learning and not a fight to stay alive, I hope Imogen and all the kids out there today enjoyed the day and wish them all the best for the battles that lie ahead.

As for Clarko, I thought his comments were far more realistic than some of the crap people have been spewing here today, we are still in the early stages of our rebuild while Carlton is competing for a Premiership, and a number of people on this board seem to have forgotten that.
So when should we expect to play finals?

2026? 2027?

* that for a joke.

Chris Fagan was sitting directly in front of me and was making notes, I think he gave up in the last quarter and just penciled in a win ( in permanent ink )
Well it seems there are some very big personal issues happening at the Lions and of course this is the week it will be talked about and they will mount a comeback

Remove this Banner Ad

Back