Autopsy Autopsy V Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

The beatuy of this year is we get them again at the same venue and we can measure improvement.

Maybe next time we are a bit more settled and a bit more composed and we can get closer.
They would be more gettable but how much do we want to improve?

The question remains whether we continue along the trajectory of 'just keep going regardless of the result'.

How much time? When should we be competitive again? When are we going to be not just competitive, but actually contending again?

The problem is we are just seeing year after year of "be patient" and never setting any actual ******* goals.

We could splice your exact comment into the autopsy thread of almost any game in the last half decade and it wouldn't look out of place.

The club imploded.

This happened at both Melbourne and Carlton and it took them 12 and 10 years between finals to dig themselves out.

That’s the time line.

That’s what coming back from where we went looks like.

I am of the thought process that the afl fixed the umpiring just to take the marquee fixture off us.

The most fixed umpiring ive ever seen.

I've already begun putting together a mental health plan to get through this year.

So far it includes not watching us once a month or every 4th week so I have a 2 week break to clear the head and get my hopes up again. Also avoiding other footy games and shows will be a feature of the plan.

5pm on a Friday night (wtf) at some dud round in Adelaide against a 10 goal better team will be the ideal first break for me this season.

Sad Ben Affleck GIF

Right so if that is where we are how are we making finals any time soon?

Clarko was given 5 years for a reason. Because we were in a hole and have made barely any progress getting out of it.
After the Hawks issue last year l view this as yr 1 ….yep lm frustrated at the end score as l think there were quiet a few gifts bestowed upon the blues…
and there’s a lot of impatience…granted with constant butchering of lists.
We were fed bs by Braddels, the one guy who did a runner and goodness knows what with mr v8 Supercars….
It’s the Start, restart …start building process whilst seeing other teams progress with the false narratives from the above 3 that has Patience low on credits around here l think.
..but on other hand this is the most youngsters we’ve had running around in years…
Biding our time as a supporter group this time round is going to be the biggest challenge……cool heads and hopefully time will will help us prevail on the journey fwd…when the wins start coming in .

Last edited:
The club imploded.

This happened at both Melbourne and Carlton and it took them 12 and 10 years between finals to dig themselves out.

That’s the time line.

I wrote somewhere last week of copping crap leaving out last Final in 2016 in Adelaide

So that’s already 8 years ago

We are probably at year 1 of a serious rebuild with a handful of top 5 picks

Thing is we probably need another 3-4 top 5 picks

So that takes us to 10 years or 2026

To climb back into 8, maybe 3 years and another 2 to make a top 4 tilt?

So what’s that, about 2031-32?

2016 to 2032 to be in contention to win a Flag

Devastating

The beatuy of this year is we get them again at the same venue and we can measure improvement.

Maybe next time we are a bit more settled and a bit more composed and we can get closer.

This…l would like to see improvements in areas of our game when we play them again…

There was one free kick in the back line the ump called for north, then called advantage play on for the blues player?? All the umps were looking at each other trying to work out wtf was going on but decided to just let it go and let the blues kick the goal.
Anyone watching from home know wtf happened!?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The club imploded.

That’s the time line.

Ok except in both of those teams s**t periods they were never bottom 4 for more than 3 years in a row.

We have been bottom 4 for 4 years now and most likely 5 at the conclusion of this season. We are in uncharted territory.

Our senior players are the biggest problems, I have been saying that for years. Of our most senior players who played today Jy, Lmac, Corr, Tucker, CZ, Larks, Fisher, Steevo, 4 are recruits (rejects) from other clubs and I'm not sure they would play anywhere else.

Look at Freo, similar age (25yr 3m) a little older as all the other teams are. Walters, Fyfe, O'Meara, Aish, Luke Ryan, Brayshaw, Taberner, Pearce, that is a massive gulf in quality

Carlton avge age 26y 3m, over 2 years and nearly 30 games more experience. Must be massive for their young players to look around and see Cripps, Saad, Hewitt, Weitering, Arcres, Williams, Cerra, Curnow, McKay, McGovern, Newman, Kennedy

Today was disapointing, especially the pressure or lack of. There has to be changes this week, stick a rocket up a few of these underperforming senior players

Ok except in both of those teams s**t periods they were never bottom 4 for more than 3 years in a row.

We have been bottom 4 for 4 years now and most likely 5 at the conclusion of this season. We are in uncharted territory.
Right so how is it going to take less time if we’ve been worse?

I’ll be having a few weeks/months off after that one.
We are not that bad.
Momentum is a huge thing especially for young kids.
I’m loathe to blame umpires and god knows I’ve been critical of us and wish we could do better. But today took the cake. Every time we looked a remote chance, the blatant cheats took it away from us.
You can just see the players’ hearts sink. It’s like - why *ing bother?
The highlight today was little Imogen. Her incredible attitude to life puts things in perspective and makes me feel like a tool for feeling like this.

I just don’t enjoy footy anymore.

Right so how is it going to take less time if we’ve been worse?

It won't if we continue to be stuck in this cycle of low standards and a losing culture due to the attitude and belief that improvement will just magically appear down the track. That mentality is manifest in the attitude of some on this board but concerningly you also see it in the messaging that comes out of the club - all we are doing is spinning our wheels in place and banking on finally getting it right this time (but no god forbid we should expect to win games now, that's for 2-3 years in the future).

What happens if we spend another 3 years down the bottom end of the ladder? Another 5 years? Another 10?? Probability says that is unlikely to happen, but we've been a bit of an outlier lately. How much irreparable damage will be done to the club in that case?

How bad was Simpkin. Appreciate he has had concussion issues, but that performance today was unacceptable. Very dissappointing game

Not all doom and gloom.

We lost Cunners, Goldy, Ziebell, Mckay and Hall to a lesser note. Not sure why people would think we would preform better?

3 games into what was always going to be a long season of giving games to players that are expected to take on bigger roles then most at their age. Backs are going to struggle against arguably the best key tall duo in the AFL whilst playing what in now their 3rd game together.

Hurts but a long season and even longer rebuild. Really started from near scratch last year.

I was at the game and I know the commentators won’t call out any anti afl s**t but did any of them say anything about the free kicks

This sport is bordering on a soap opera with all the manufactured BS.
Our senior players need a bell in the ball - * me
It’s football ffs - see ball get ball.

There was one free kick in the back line the ump called for north, then called advantage play on for the blues player?? All the umps were looking at each other trying to work out wtf was going on but decided to just let it go and let the blues kick the goal.
Anyone watching from home know wtf happened!?
I was bewildered by that one too! At the ground it looked like the Carlton player was pinged for a throw, but then they called play on advantage and the guy who'd received the throw kicked a goal. No idea what happened.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back