Autopsy Autopsy V Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

glass half full....maybe we have played 3 of the better teams this year so far

lol come finals I've got a feeling we're gonna look back at this first chunk of the season in even more dismay than presently. Even if Geelong don't make the eight, they play like a top four team at Alphabet Stadium and simply refuse to die.

I was just coming here to say something along these lines. The 3 teams we have played this year are collectively 9 and 0. GWS and the Blues were in every expert's predicted top 4, and are currently first and third in the betting markets to win the premiership. Freo is looking more like the 22 version that made the finals than the 23 version that didn't. We are still the team that finished 17th last year with only three wins.

It was always possible that we could be a vastly improved team this year without winning a lot more games. It is an incredibly close competition.

We have been extremely competitive for material parts of all three games we have played, and shown that when we put it together, we have the game plan and a fair few personnel that will make a very good team.

Our four top 5 draft picks of the past two years are looking fantastic. Sheez, Wardlaw, McKercher, and Dursma have all shown plenty in the first three matches. At the next level down George, Hardeman, and Dawson are looking to have lots of upside. Before they were injured, Goater, Bergman, and Harvey all had shown considerable improvement as well.

Comben looks to have really settled into his new role and will become the big, intercept-marking beast that we want. After 13 grabs yesterday surely he plays seniors next week.

Sellers and Maley are starting to look like inspired SSP and Rookie draft selections. After 9 goals in two rounds Sellers looks the likely option to come in for CCL and provide a second tall option in the forward line. He will definitely provide more movement than CCJ and demand a defender to respect him when we have ball in hand. Hopefully he won't spoil Larkey when he's about to take an uncontested mark either. In the longer term, Maley could be a better compliment to Larkey. A big guy who can take a heap of contested grabs, push up the ground as the bail-out option, pinch-hit in the ruck, and seemingly incredibly athletically talented.

After three rounds it's looking like Xerri, Curtis, and Powell, in particular, are all putting together breakout seasons. Powell is almost our most influential player at the moment. If you watch our last four games, the periods where Powell is playing well are the ones in which we are playing our best footy as a team.

I don't know how to take screen grabs off the phone via Kayo, but there was one absolutely ******* damning piece of vision which shows where we're at as a side.

10-15 seconds into the last quarter, Carlton kicked it out on the full, about 70 out from goal.

The ball was given to McKercher to bring it back into play. If you're a forward, you should be *ing rapt with this situation. One of, if not the best kick at the club, delivering the ball to the forward line.

11 blokes ahead of him. Aside from Cam Z who tried to sneakily draw his Carlton defender next to three others to break their zone, not a single forward gave an option ahead of the ball, and even Cam's effort was sub par. Not a single forward put any kind of work in. It was dead *ing silent when you have a lethal peg trying to find an option. No one was drawing defenders, no one creating space, no one moving to try and disrupt the zone, no one clearing the leading lane and then no one leading into that cleared space, and no one offering a switch option.

They were stagnant less than 20 seconds after getting a break.

Larkey and the deep forwards don't cop too much blame, although they should have been busy down there as well. But 8 of those blokes should have been doing *ing something. Anything. Why the hell didn't anyone want the footy? A good lead and McKercher will absolutely put it on a silver platter for you.
I recall having the same though watching the Freo game. You would think whenever one of McKercher, Sheezal, Powell, Fisher and a few others with elite kicking skills is about to hit a forward 50 entry, the forwards would be working as hard as they can to get separation, not standing still and pointing at a spot.

I recall having the same though watching the Freo game. You would think whenever one of McKercher, Sheezal, Powell, Fisher and a few others with elite kicking skills is about to hit a forward 50 entry, the forwards would be working as hard as they can to get separation, not standing still and pointing at a spot.

Must be so bloody frustrating for them.

It's not hard to stand on the mark. I hope we use this as a learning exercise, and its not repeated. Put it down to inexperience - I haven't watched the replay but I think Sheezel gave one away by moving away from the mark, and was it Wardlaw who gave one away for ?walking thru the mark when heading to the bench?

Ok to make the mistake once, but good teams don't do this repeatedly.
Injured players should be able to make a direct line through the mark. Just roll around on the ground like Naymar or Mcgovern clutching at the back of your head faking an injury for the umpire to blow a whistle.

I can't remember the last time I was impressed by a Carlton side (neither should their own supporters, really) and yesterday wasn't it. Talls can be nullified and it's not every game you give up 9 goals to free kicks, which was close the the margin itself. Sure some of those would have happened in any game but we're an undersized with a barn door for full back.

Having said that, they will be top 8 and win enough games so your point stands. We've also got Brisbane and Geelong at GMHGA so definitely getting our roughest patch out of the way early this year. Plus this nagging feeling that despite nothing changing on paper the incredible talent we have coming through may start to move the needle this current season.

Yeah I said it, 16th baby. Dream big!

I don't know how to take screen grabs off the phone via Kayo, but there was one absolutely ******* damning piece of vision which shows where we're at as a side.

10-15 seconds into the last quarter, Carlton kicked it out on the full, about 70 out from goal.

The ball was given to McKercher to bring it back into play. If you're a forward, you should be *ing rapt with this situation. One of, if not the best kick at the club, delivering the ball to the forward line.

11 blokes ahead of him. Aside from Cam Z who tried to sneakily draw his Carlton defender next to three others to break their zone, not a single forward gave an option ahead of the ball, and even Cam's effort was sub par. Not a single forward put any kind of work in. It was dead *ing silent when you have a lethal peg trying to find an option. No one was drawing defenders, no one creating space, no one moving to try and disrupt the zone, no one clearing the leading lane and then no one leading into that cleared space, and no one offering a switch option.

They were stagnant less than 20 seconds after getting a break.

Larkey and the deep forwards don't cop too much blame, although they should have been busy down there as well. But 8 of those blokes should have been doing *ing something. Anything. Why the hell didn't anyone want the footy? A good lead and McKercher will absolutely put it on a silver platter for you.
Paul Curtis lead at him and Kerch was too slow to pull the trigger. Left footer on the correct pocket for him. I remember that, its burned in my retnas, I was standing on the outer right there watching it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Paul Curtis lead at him and Kerch was too slow to pull the trigger. Left footer on the correct pocket for him. I remember that, its burned in my retnas, I was standing on the outer right there watching it.

You can see PC on the vision standing stationary at the top of the square so you might be thinking of a different situation bro, I'm sure it probably happened a few times.

You’re not wrong, GWS by far the best team at the moment. Paper bags will feature in the last month of footy (wont win a flag, they were full strength v us minus Walsh) and fremantle were severely underrated by me and everyone else. They look ok and will make the 8.

We have to up our pressure when not in possession.

Im not sure if it’s a structural issue as we turn it over in areas that are un-defendable but the stat that hurts the most (apart from scoreboard) is the tackle count.

If we don’t resolve we will continue to see walked in goals against us and it won’t matter who is playing in the back 6
If only we had recruited a small pressure forward or two since LT left. Our list management's has been deplorable.

You can see PC on the vision standing stationary at the top of the square so you might be thinking of a different situation bro, I'm sure it probably happened a few times.
I just a quick look, yeh, different scenario. But there are two options, long into the f50 aint it. Its switch the ball or its a bullet low pass to the top of the 50 to stephens?? In that hole.

Why doesn’t Kayo allow to take screen shots? This app is somehow becoming worse, I thought that would be impossible.

If people think Kerch is that good a kick he should have been able to spot that pass and force the player to mark it in the hole. Actually an easy kick but difficult for our players

Perhaps I watch a different game to everyone else today, but I am actually not too disappointed by what I saw, despite the final margin

Unlike the last 2 to 3 years, when teams have got on top of us, they have absolutely blown us away. There was a different feel to things today. The boys did not capitulate like they have in recent times, but instead they kept fighting on. They showed real endeavour right throughout and I came away thinking we are on the right track.

Bear in mind today they copped it badly from the umpires. The free kick differential was around 12 and to top it off, Carlton received 6, yes 6, 50 metre penalties, some of which resulted in easy goals that otherwise would not have happened.

The AFL has a huge problem with the standard of umpiring. It gets worse every year and they do nothing about if.

Sorry Horry but I really don't see where this vibe is coming from. We lost by nearly 10 goals and only kicked 1 in the last quarter after Carlton had well and truly put the cue in the rack. How does that not count as being blown away?

I just a quick look, yeh, different scenario. But there are two options, long into the f50 aint it. Its switch the ball or its a bullet low pass to the top of the 50 to stephens?? In that hole.

Why doesn’t Kayo allow to take screen shots? This app is somehow becoming worse, I thought that would be impossible.

If people think Kerch is that good a kick he should have been able to spot that pass and force the player to mark it in the hole. Actually an easy kick but difficult for our players

Agreed! Ideally the forwards are working to make the switch or that pass workable. If no one is moving it makes it very hard to kick to space.

I’m staggered to think we’re any chance of winning a game this year.

I had hopes of 5-6 wins this year at BEST. Hopes that we would “rattle” some teams and actually challenge teams in most games.

We won’t win a game this year is my realistic guess now.

We’re in massive trouble. Every game I expect north to concede 15-20 goals

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’m staggered to think we’re any chance of winning a game this year.

I had hopes of 5-6 wins this year at BEST. Hopes that we would “rattle” some teams and actually challenge teams in most games.

We won’t win a game this year is my realistic guess now.

We’re in massive trouble. Every game I expect north to concede 15-20 goals

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
We will win 6-8 easy. Just relax, its not that bad.

They did do something about it - they threw in the fourth umpire.

Unfortunately, like the introduction of the cane toad, the solution was so short-sighted and ham-fisted that it made for a worse problem. Nine umpires every week who weren't previously good enough to umpire at all. That on top of the whatever many who weren't good enough but still getting a game and causing the problem.

The fourth umpire is an invasive species.

As for North, we get killed by the policy of having the best umpires getting the spotlight games. The newbies and spuds get hidden where no one will notice them. That's us - let's call it the Eleni Effect. Yesterday, by virtue of Good Friday we got Meredith (#21) with nearly 500 games, 40-odd finals and 8 Grand Finals. But the other three - Power (#4), Howorth (#17) and Toner (#25) - have over 200 games collectively but just one final. That's it, they're s**t. Last week the panel we had totaled 350 games for 6 finals, 0 GFs (all finals attributed to one umpire) and in Round 1 - 630 games total, 10 finals, 1 GF (all finals attributed to one umpire). So each week, one decent experienced umpire, one newbie, two hacks who have been around forever with no success but the pool is so shallow they stick around. We're literally getting the worst.

Edit: I'll add in my long held theory that the poor sides generally get the rough end of the pineapple. I've believed this since we would get the good end. eg "North are a bit short down back - watch for holding on McKay or Curnow." or "They don't have a second ruck - lookout for blocking". The frees might be there, but they aren't looking for them when the ball goes the other way.
I'd argue that the 3rd and 4th umpires are invasive species. It should be 2 umpires controlling a half each. End of story.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back