Autopsy Autopsy vs Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly, I find it baffling that we bash medical decisions made by experts who have actually assessed the injury when we have very little information about the injury ourselves. It's the logical equivalent of watching one stoppage and deciding that Robbie Gray played a bad game last night.

That’s a shocking analogy. Robbie Gray had one bad stoppage. And our medical staff has been up against it as battling the worst injuries for 3 consecutive years. We have a player who has the potential to be the clubs greatest ever. Who’s been battling injuries all season. And they think it’s a good idea to put him back in while he’s in noticeable pain and limps to every stoppage, while we are down by 50. If you don’t have any issue with that than that’s your opinion. I’ve never seen Richmond risk dusty like that.

In the interest of keeping this a more positive place, I'm going to be taking some time off from BF.

That loss last night affected me way more than I'd care to admit and I, undoubtedly like many others here, am just getting zero enjoyment out of the game right now. I never went in thinking we'd win last night but the effort lately has been making me nauseous.

Maybe I'll learn to knit or something.

Until next time :handwaving:

Honeychurch needs to go. Sorry, I don't care how bad our team is. His ball use is fckued. If he's in our team again this year, we are not doing well AT ALL depth wise. Like - we're in the bottom 5% of our list.

I understand he tries hard, but wow. He was horrific.

If history tells you anything , keep going down the same track means not much will change.
I saw all I needed to see 18 months ago.

English whilst he will improve will not be ready for at least another 2 years to take full time ruck duties. I'm all in for chasing lycett.

Apart from the injuries I thought it wasn't too bad actually.

What looked to be a very big belting after 1Q, we actually turned it around quite well. Bev finally made some match changing moves to improve output. Was happy with that. Without the injuries I daresay the margin is more in the 5-6 goal realm.

Some positives to see in a couple of players and some nice coaching adjustments. Based on where our list is (including injuries) that's a decent outcome IMO.

At this point it's pretty much autopilot till the end of season for me. Any positives in each game are a bonus.

I don’t think this year is going to be a bad thing for the coming years, every week there’s been key players out and absolutely no continuity within the team which you need with really young sides. The young and youngish talent is there. But a few of the others who should be standing up haven’t, and have shown their true value to the team which makes it easier to identify the areas that need to improve. I doubt the end to this year is going to be pretty, but I’m certain it will turn again very quickly in a season or two.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Apart from the injuries I thought it wasn't too bad actually.

What looked to be a very big belting after 1Q, we actually turned it around quite well. Bev finally made some match changing moves to improve output. Was happy with that. Without the injuries I daresay the margin is more in the 5-6 goal realm.

Some positives to see in a couple of players and some nice coaching adjustments. Based on where our list is (including injuries) that's a decent outcome IMO.

At this point it's pretty much autopilot till the end of season for me. Any positives in each game are a bonus.

Fairest post I've seen around here for a while

For whatever reason we've punched the rebuild button after around Round 8 of last year. Now we can argue about why and how that came about - because I'm genuinely staggered and am lost for an explanation as to why we went the nuclear option so suddenly - but if you look at it in terms of a rebuild, there's a lot of good signs there

Whether that was the right direction is another matter, of which - believe it or not - I might have to agree with Mattdougie that we cut down the mast on our brand new super yacht and gleefully drifted into a category 6 cyclone for seemingly no reason whatsoever

Balance and perspective, with a slight seasoning of rage and misunderstanding - they're the things you read in history books :$

Last edited:
Posted in injuries thread, but some people might miss it...

Chris Grant has just given an update (in order of when injury occurred)...

Wood - "We’re just not sure how serious that is at the moment until he has some scans tomorrow. He is going to miss a number of weeks for sure."

Macrae - "With Jackson, we shouldn’t see him miss too much, if anything at all, that’s very minor. Hamstrings, if anything’s detected there on the MRI, it will be at least a couple of weeks"

Boyd - “With Tom Boyd, it’s a compound dislocation of his finger. It’s really just to get in there and clean it up and just make sure that everything is ok. We don’t anticipate that will be too much time missed at all, if anything."

Webb - “Lukas has got a fracture to his thumb and it’s going to require some surgery. We think Lukas will miss at least a few weeks of footy."

Bont - “We luckily got the rub of the green, fortunately, with Marcus Bontempelli when he hurt his knee. He has come through that really well.”

No mention of McLean

random thoughts:
Bevo called them junk goals to Port at the end but we've won the last quarter just once this season.
No surprise we lost every stat, just the 40 Inside50s makes it lowest of the year.
Honeychurch doesn't cut it, can't trust him in front of goal, and been given enough chances, just like Webb.
I wanted Roarke Smith in team but now not sure. We badly miss the other one, Clay.
Richards could be anything in future.

I don’t think this year is going to be a bad thing for the coming years, every week there’s been key players out and absolutely no continuity within the team which you need with really young sides. The young and youngish talent is there. But a few of the others who should be standing up haven’t, and have shown their true value to the team which makes it easier to identify the areas that need to improve. I doubt the end to this year is going to be pretty, but I’m certain it will turn again very quickly in a season or two.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The worst thing that can happen to any club is to keep bouncing along year after year in the twilight zone winning 10-12 games a year occasionally losing a final thinking that we just need one or two mature players to challenge then blowing all your draft picks on mature players or fading stars.

A few big Melbourne clubs have suffered from this (Carlton, Essendon, North now Melbourne are in danger of slipping in as well).

If you’re going to have a down season - you need to learn something about which players are pretenders and which ones are worth persevering. Losing quickly exposes players who won’t defend properly or rely on others to make them look good.

Then there is to draft- without the crap years 2012 and 2013 we would never have got Boyd, McCrae and Bont ( or Stringer)- guys you can anchor your club with.

Bevo wants his own list not McCartneys and Dalrymple’s- which have the much discussed deficiencies. Going through the pain of losing is not something you can really avoid if you want to get back to top 4.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Might already have been talked about, but we did have Daniel and Hunter playing in defence didn't we? Seemed odd.

Everything we've done for almost 12 months now has been odd

Post above yours is the half-glass-full approach I've adopted - I'm not sure whether I'm particularly happy with what is happening, but I know it's a sight lot better than the every-7-years-on-average-prelim approach we lived with for so long

... The only people I’ve called for to be sacked are Hansen Gia and The fitness crew...

That's interesting because a few weeks ago I asked you "Specifically, which assistants should be moved on and for what deficiencies ..?"

And you replied:

"Every one of them

Grant- only got the job because of who he is. We all love him but he has done a shite job so far.

Smith - as above

Gia- was forward coach in 16 and that was our worst line. Mid coach in 17-18 and they are s**t. Go away for the love of god

Hansen- not up to it

King - no thanks

Corey- move him to backline coach"

Average games Port 117 Dogs 66 according to Footywire.
That's interesting because a few weeks ago I asked you "Specifically, which assistants should be moved on and for what deficiencies ..?"

And you replied:

"Every one of them

Grant- only got the job because of who he is. We all love him but he has done a shite job so far.

Smith - as above

Gia- was forward coach in 16 and that was our worst line. Mid coach in 17-18 and they are s**t. Go away for the love of god

Hansen- not up to it

King - no thanks

Corey- move him to backline coach"
Agree with all above, but Smith to backline where we had a great defence in 2015-6

I haven’t had any rants for ages I’ve accepted where we are, others haven’t.

The only people I’ve called for to be sacked are Hansen Gia and The fitness crew.

I’m not calling for older players to be sacked they are simply done, that happens it’s no one fault.

Have a look before you accuse me of s**t I’m accepting what we ard it’s others ranting rubbish and making excuses

I'm personally happy with the fitness group, don't particularly blame Gia for anything

But the position he is filling at the moment is definitely not the right spot for him to provide the right influence or knowledge. It's the reason why I have no qualms with the fitness, it's just seemingly a lack of understanding of the positions that they are playing

I think about right after we won the lot, I was stunned when there was an article about how we rotated the entire coaching staff because... well, because

Heya MD, by the way :$

I've been generally agitated with bad performances in the past few years, but I'm being conditioned to them again and watched with more of a detached interest last night (well, I still got shitty after that first quarter on the GD thread, but I loosened up after that). I'll get into it when I'm at the ground but when at home (which is the majority of games because I have three young kids and can't get to all of them), I'll not be as annoyed or frustrated when it plays out like this.

My main problem is that my six year old has just got massively into footy this year, wants to wear his bulldogs gear all the time, kicks a soft footy around the house and watches highlights of games from the past few years on his iPad when he can. But getting beaten by 5-10 goals every week, which has happened the past month and looking at our fixture could happen for the next month too, is not conducive to keeping him on the bulldogs path.

As for the actual flaws in the performance - well, they are many and varied. All of them have been mentioned to some degree by previous posts, but kicking skills and confidence to take kicks are the major one for me (as ever). Most of our midfielders when they gather the ball just outside 50 don't run 5-10 metres and try to kick a goal, they try to kick it to someone else and it invariably fails. I don't understand why they don't just have a crack.

Honeychurch I can understand because he can't even reach the sticks from 30m out - I mean, wtf? How can a professional footballer just butcher every kick from inside 50 like he does? I agree with others that he tries hard, but I've worked with people who try hard but are incompetent and they're not just allowed to work there indefinitely. It's mind-boggling he is in the team, no matter how many injuries the club has.

have had a tough time with footy this year. really thought we'd be a good side. and look, we've had injuries but they're just hard to cop as an excuse year after year. after reaching acceptance a few weeks ago i'm back watching footy for fun, joy and positives.

my positives from last night

Richards is just so neat and smart with the footy and so quick too.

Zaine is an animal. We've done well with him.

Boyd played well before the last 5 minutes injury.

Even though they never go near the ball and are both soft. Lipinsi and Schache can be really nice and clean forward of the footy.

Wallis and Gowers are nice hard bodies in the forward line.

Bailey Williams is developing nicely.

Might already have been talked about, but we did have Daniel and Hunter playing in defence didn't we? Seemed odd.
Daniel certainly played in defence for the majority of the game. I kept watching him when we had the ball coming out of defensive 50 and I couldn't work out his positioning. He never once seemed to put himself where he'd actually receive the ball and offer a link-up option, instead just kept meandering along nearby often within close distance of an opposition player - it was no surprise in the end he only picked up 5 touches for the game. Given his obvious defensive limitations (speed, height, pressure etc), if he wasn't at least offering an effort on the rebound he was worse than useless to us playing in the backline.

The worst thing that can happen to any club is to keep bouncing along year after year in the twilight zone winning 10-12 games a year occasionally losing a final thinking that we just need one or two mature players to challenge then blowing all your draft picks on mature players or fading stars.

A few big Melbourne clubs have suffered from this (Carlton, Essendon, North now Melbourne are in danger of slipping in as well).

If you’re going to have a down season - you need to learn something about which players are pretenders and which ones are worth persevering. Losing quickly exposes players who won’t defend properly or rely on others to make them look good.

Then there is to draft- without the crap years 2012 and 2013 we would never have got Boyd, McCrae and Bont ( or Stringer)- guys you can anchor your club with.

Bevo wants his own list not McCartneys and Dalrymple’s- which have the much discussed deficiencies. Going through the pain of losing is not something you can really avoid if you want to get back to top 4.
I would like that to be true, but I fear it is not.

Sydney Swans ladder position (I know COLA may effect this):
2017: 6
2016: 1
2015: 4
2014: 1
2013: 4
2012: 3
2011: 7
2010: 5
2009: 12
2008: 6
2007: 7
2006: 4
2005: 3
2004: 6
2003: 4
2002: 11
2001:7
2000: 10
1999: 8
1998: 3
1997: 6
1996: 1

Geelong
1991 3
1992 2
1993 7
1994 2
1995 2
1996 7
1997 2
1998 12
1999 11
2000 5
2001 12
2002 9
2003 12
2004 4
2005 5
2006 10
2007 1
2008 2
2009 1
2010 3
2011 1
2012 6
2013 3
2014 5
2015 10
2016 2
2017 2

Look at Hawthorn as well if you want to be further depressed. West Coast and Adelaide are also of note, although West Coast had a few bad years in a row and Adelaide are not swamped with the ultimate success.

The narrative that you have to go low before you come back up isn't universally true.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back