Strategy Back of House Discussion: Targets, Changes, Appointments & Facilities

Remove this Banner Ad

Businss success, WC is a significant and intricate business unlike most clubs, strong I and EQ, exposure to a few decent clubs (Sydney and Adelaide are well managed but very different structures and culture) and a strong football brain. He has enough downs to learn from over the journey as well. The easy road isnt a great teacher. The camp is only one. Well rounded not just a retired played with a good media persona or a long term club director. I also think he has a hard edge as is required at times.
Agree I'd be happy with the don as CEO, for all those reasons

Businss success, WC is a significant and intricate business unlike most clubs, strong I and EQ, exposure to a few decent clubs (Sydney and Adelaide are well managed but very different structures and culture) and a strong football brain. He has enough downs to learn from over the journey as well. The easy road isnt a great teacher. The camp is only one. Well rounded not just a retired played with a good media persona or a long term club director. I also think he has a hard edge as is required at times.

Yep, hard to argue with this. Below is from an article when starting out at Adelaide. His business acumen is certainly a positive as a CEO combined with his incredible football experience, including; AFL & WAFL Premiership player, B & F @ WC & Claremont, WC runner, Senior Coach AFL & WAFL, AFL assistant @ Sydney. I hope they cast the net wide & do agree at times some 'outside' influence would be great (outside of WC circles.) Though I reckon he'd have experienced enough elsewhere to bring the 'outside' POV.

"Having studied commerce, Pyke was evidently a thinking man’s footballer. In between winning premierships with the Eagles, he worked as an accountant with finance firm Ernst & Young from 1989 to ’94, before shifting to the finance division of seismic data company PGS (Petroleum Geo-Services) Nopec.

He kept his hand in the game, first as a runner for the Eagles, then as coach of Claremont for two seasons and then as a member of the West Coast board, but his work quickly took over as he co-founded his own firm, Seismic Australia, on his retirement from football.

“It was a company that ran seismic projects… I had a background in oil and gas and worked in that for best part of 10 years,” he recalls.

Seismic Australia, buoyed by a burgeoning oil and gas boom, quickly grew into a lucrative concern, and in 2000 was bought out by geo-science firm Fugro Multi Client Services.

Pyke doesn’t talk about the economics of the deal, but it is evident that, unlike others on the AFL coaching roundabout, he doesn’t coach to live.

“I sold the business and the new owners wanted their pound of flesh, so I worked with them for a few years, before I came to Adelaide the first time,” he says."

Pyke seems like an excellent candidate, especially to address the club's biggest problems (the footy program) while having very solid credentials for the business side of things. Obviously the club should explore all options but if he's in the mix that is a good start. It's at least reassuring that he would be sounded out so early in the process.

Pyke seems like an excellent candidate, especially to address the club's biggest problems (the footy program) while having very solid credentials for the business side of things. Obviously the club should explore all options but if he's in the mix that is a good start. It's at least reassuring that he would be sounded out so early in the process.
And we should not dismiss the prospect of a left field genius coming to the fore. But Pike us a great start and benchmark.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I want to see big names from across the country included in the process. The process should be made very public to garner support that the board is doing due diligence. Even if at the end Pyke gets it, members need to see (on tv) that a wide net has been cast and they haven't fait accompli given to one of the old boys.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

I"m unsure why Don Pyke is being mentioned? He was coach of the Crows when they had their ill fated camp. He's been in assistant/head coaching roles the last 10 years.

Not sure how that all translates to the CEO role? What business does he run? i've seen talk of him being a business man, but my admittedly 2 minute google search doesn't show up much.

I"m unsure why Don Pyke is being mentioned? He was coach of the Crows when they had their ill fated camp. He's been in assistant/head coaching roles the last 10 years.

Not sure how that all translates to the CEO role? What business does he run? i've seen talk of him being a business man, but my admittedly 2 minute google search doesn't show up much.
Scroll up and read OobiDoobi's post

Hahahaha it's like half a page up and a comprehensive coverage of his business history. 😂

"I'm not here to take a reading test! I want to see some credentials!"

trump day GIF

Hahahaha it's like half a page up and a comprehensive coverage of his business history. 😂

"I'm not here to take a reading test! I want to see some credentials!"
Laugh it up boys. You all assume i read the last stack of pages that have been added since i was last on, rather than just go to the end....

But, now having read it, i'm confused. He was a Commercial Manager 15 years ago, and 25 years ago he was invovled in a company in some unclear way.

I don't want to bag anyone out, but nothing is screaming, leading large corporate organisation there.

Laugh it up boys. You all assume i read the last stack of pages that have been added since i was last on, rather than just go to the end....

But, now having read it, i'm confused. He was a Commercial Manager 15 years ago, and 25 years ago he was invovled in a company in some unclear way.

I don't want to bag anyone out, but nothing is screaming, leading large corporate organisation there.
He started his own business in the mining/gas sector and sold it for a pretty penny in 2000.

Also was a club director in the early 2000s.

He knows how to operate/manage a business very well and just does the footy stuff because he loves it, not because he actually needs the money.

He started his own business in the mining/gas sector and sold it for a pretty penny in 2000.

Also was a club director in the early 2000s.

He knows how to operate/manage a business very well and just does the footy stuff because he loves it, not because he actually needs the money.
That's what i don't have visbility on. This was 25 years ago. How many people were in the business, what was his role in that?

I'm not saying he's not qualified, but there are a range of questoins you'd wanting to be asking.

That's what i don't have visbility on. This was 25 years ago. How many people were in the business, what was his role in that?

I'm not saying he's not qualified, but there are a range of questoins you'd wanting to be asking.
What was his role?

He was the owner and CEO. Started it from scratch.

It became very successful and he sold out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back