Strategy Back of House Discussion: Targets, Changes, Appointments & Facilities

Remove this Banner Ad

This is it. The point in the off season where I start imagining we are going to shoot back up the ladder.

I need to take a few deep breaths and remind myself that we are bottom 4 locks.
Between this and the S & C news though, I think we can all be more confident that we're moving towards flag #5 now rather than away from flag #4

Not sure if mentioned, but apparently Dani Laidley is eyeing of the vacant Coaching position of our Ladies.

Would they be the first ex-AFL head coach to take a position as an AFLW head coach if successful?

As much I've been wanting some 'outside of WC influences', I like this appointment. Think Pyke has had enough 'outside' experience to be a great CEO for the club. Has all the right attributes and experiences and coming from a successful and culture first club like Sydney is great for us.

Stoked with Pyke

A good read for those not familiar with his exploits outside of football, think it was posted here a while back

Upgraded the S&C department ✅
Appointed a new CEO ✅
Rejuvenated the assistant coaching ranks ✖️

Replacing Pratt with Shuey and reshuffling some hats isn’t the revamp I’d hoped for. Would have been good to have added an assistant from outside with fresh eyes

Maybe (hopefully) that appointment is still to come

Nevertheless, there’s been some good changes made this off season

Nisbett will likely be around until the end of 2024 as advertised. Pyke will have loose ends to tie up with Sydney and will likely be integrated throughout the 2024 season. If it is a straight handover at Christmas I'd be surprised.
Jan 14 I believe Pyke starts as CEO.

Looks like the handover period will be be between now and then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Upgraded the S&C department ✅
Appointed a new CEO ✅
Rejuvenated the assistant coaching ranks ✖️

Replacing Pratt with Shuey and reshuffling some hats isn’t the revamp I’d hoped for. Would have been good to have added an assistant from outside with fresh eyes

Maybe (hopefully) that appointment is still to come

Nevertheless, there’s been some good changes made this off season
Agree that some changes would be nice to see given our performance since 2020.

Though a view might be that we have the right coaching mix, but squad health and conditioning has been the most significant barrier to implementing their plans - a lot of media talk this season (before they suddenly turned on simmo end of season) was around 'No coach could have done better in the circumstances'

Agree that some changes would be nice to see given our performance since 2020.

Though a view might be that we have the right coaching mix, but squad health and conditioning has been the most significant barrier to implementing their plans - a lot of media talk this season (before they suddenly turned on simmo end of season) was around 'No coach could have done better in the circumstances'

Agreed that if we can get a healthy and conditioned list we will see improvement next year, regardless of who is in the coaches box.

That said, confirming Simmo as head coach after the season concluded would have drastically impacted our ability to acquire an assistant coach. Suspect it is something we would have liked to have done, but had very limited options.

Just watching this now. He makes an interesting observation at about 16:30 about how he's worked at the club for 2 of the past 20 years so while he has extensive history at the Eagles as a premiership player, assistant coach and board member, he considers himself coming into the role as a bit of an outsider with fresh eyes.

Something that struck me whilst watching that press conference unrelated to Pyke (who was very impressive) was how much more assured Elizabeth Gaines came across than what we’ve seen from Paul Fitzpatrick

It was an easy gig announcing a popular appointment to be fair, but she was clear and gave concise answers when required

Gave off an air of authority and confidence I haven’t seen from Fitzpatrick who comes across far more awkwardly

Just watched the interview - very impressive.

I had a laugh at the end where Elizabeth was asked whether Don would sit on the board, it sounded like she was about to say Don is well aware of why that is not best practice governance - but cut herself short.

Since Nesbitt is contracted til next season, is he hanging around in another capacity, or are they just paying him out?
This quote from Trev in the club statement feels me with dread that he will be lingering around the halls for the foreseeable future:

“I look forward to working with Don through his assimilation for as long as I am required.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back