News Bell re-signs for 2 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Good news! The way I see it, we can carry a couple of players that don't have the best disposal by foot, if they offer enough value in other areas ... We just can't carry too many of them, and at the moment we have too many of them. For mine, Bell has the potential to be such a strong contested player, that he is close to the top of the list for the lower-skilled players that can be a part of our next successful side. (I also think his technique is sound enough that there is room for drastic improvement) ... Nice to hear the kind words for Mick as well. Good stuff!

If given a proper run through the midfield and some persistence could become that Mundy,Kennedy player that we lack in the guts. Well done Belly:thumbsu:

So very true. MM has played him on the periphery, not in the guts where logic says he will be best suited. If I read correctly he plays in the engine room when in the 2's. Can sort of understand that his disposal/decision making needs work and MM might see him as a work in progress, but surely should be adjusting to the tempo sooner rather than later. His presence at the bounce would lend so much more in my opinion.
Malthouse's midfielders served an apprenticeship on the "outside" at the 'pies, but clearly we are not blessed with the depth of Pendlebury, Ball, Swan, Beams and all inside. We are developing not "established" bar Murph and Juddy. Surely the flow on from the skipper having a "minder" would be enormous.

So very true. MM has played him on the periphery, not in the guts where logic says he will be best suited. If I read correctly he plays in the engine room when in the 2's. Can sort of understand that his disposal/decision making needs work and MM might see him as a work in progress, but surely should be adjusting to the tempo sooner rather than later. His presence at the bounce would lend so much more in my opinion.
Malthouse's midfielders served an apprenticeship on the "outside" at the 'pies, but clearly we are not blessed with the depth of Pendlebury, Ball, Swan, Beams and all inside. We are developing not "established" bar Murph and Juddy. Surely the flow on from the skipper having a "minder" would be enormous.

He sure does and hasn't had a bad game when played there for two seasons now.

His strengths are terrific but his weaknesses apparent also.
Has to learn to give off to the right voice and become more of a team player. Just for now it's too much about Bell, but he'll learn.

Very pleased to see this! Still has a very long way to go but I am a big fan of his efforts and that he throws his weight around. I am hopeful he can polish up his game over the next couple of years. That bump his laid against St Kilda to shepard for Hendo running into goal was beautiful. Our club could definitely use a few more hard nuts like him.

earlier on in the year i had this idea that in time to come it would be awesome to see bell rotating with robb but bell/cripps and murphy in centre, cant ever see it happening but hey all good

He sure does and hasn't had a bad game when played there for two seasons now.

His strengths are terrific but his weaknesses apparent also.
Has to learn to give off to the right voice and become more of a team player. Just for now it's too much about Bell, but he'll learn.
Totally agree he just needs that awareness that comes with playing a lot of footy once it clicks he will be a very handy weapon in the middle.

Totally agree he just needs that awareness that comes with playing a lot of footy once it clicks he will be a very handy weapon in the middle.

He won't suddenly find awareness so the next best thing is for his team-mates to support him by way of shouting instruction.
All Bell has to do then is to listen to that instruction. :) Easier said than done.........right?

Menzel, Cripps, Johnson and Docherty all have very good 360 awareness from what I've seen.

Surprisingly, Ciaran Byrne has very much given me that impression this year to date.
Hasn't had too much of the ball to be absolute on it, but he's got himself out of many tricky positions. He's very nimble for his size.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like bell. See him taking McLeans spot in years to come as that bullocking midfielder - fortunately he's got a bit of toe....he just needs the awareness, and to work on his disposal.

No one just finds awareness it comes with experience and a feel for the game that Belly hasn't had but will learn to gain over time with as you say instructions and knowledge from probably one of the best midfielders to ever play the game in Judd.

He needs a consistent run in the seniors so that he can gain touch and game sense.

He has the athletic tools already, and the physicality needed.
Agree. He was in good form before he got injured because he had played a 5 games in a row.

Happy with this :)

Arguably needs to improve his awareness and giving the ball off quicker more than his actual kicking, but he is raw and deserves a chance. Has always seemed to be a decent set shot at goal interestingly enough. Not quite Andrejs Everitt, but not bad :thumbsu:

Happy with this :)

Arguably needs to improve his awareness and giving the ball off quicker more than his actual kicking, but he is raw and deserves a chance. Has always seemed to be a decent set shot at goal interestingly enough. Not quite Andrejs Everitt, but not bad :thumbsu:
I know he gets compared to kouta alot but he reminds me of kouta alot in this regard,
I remember kouta bein a bit scratchy with around the ground skills but was generally a dead eye from the set shot.

He won't suddenly find awareness so the next best thing is for his team-mates to support him by way of shouting instruction.
All Bell has to do then is to listen to that instruction. :) Easier said than done.........right?

Menzel, Cripps, Johnson and Docherty all have very good 360 awareness from what I've seen.

Surprisingly, Ciaran Byrne has very much given me that impression this year to date.
Hasn't had too much of the ball to be absolute on it, but he's got himself out of many tricky positions. He's very nimble for his size.

I know some go on about Bell's kicking and awareness - he's still only 22 so that will improve (maybe not enough for some?) - but his run, endurance and physicality are real bonuses!

Just on our younger or untried players, I'm hopeful that Byrne and Sheehan can come on fairly quickly - if one or both do then they will be real bonuses in the next year or two, especially if other youngsters such as Menzel, Buckley and Docherty continue on the way they have through this year and improve a bit more next year. Let's see how Johnson, Cripps and Graham go the rest of this year and next and hopefully we can soon include them in our "young players of the future" along with Menzel, Buckley and Docherty. Next year we have to blood Giles (yet to debut due to injury), Reynolds and Holman to see if they have something to offer. In the meantime we just have to intensively develop what we have and not be too quick to slash and burn all the lesser-lights (especially the younger lesser-lights) unless what we can bring in is better than what we have (no kipfler-out for pontiac-in recruitment/trading please)! We need long-term thinking - continuous improvement year-on-year - with a judicious list-building trade or two thrown in each year (we did well this year with Docherty and Everitt - we just have to do likewise in years to come) according to where we are in relation to the, dare I say it, "premiership window".

Glad that he has re signed.. But the first thing he needs to work on is if he's gonna go for a little run with the ball, to look behind himself 1st to see how long he's got before he gets tackled.. Geez he gets caught a lot, which turns into me getting very frustrated at times..;)..

Good luck to Tom, but jeez, I really hope he steps up quite a few levels. Really needs to drastically improve his awareness, decision making and disposal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back