Ben Jacobs, make an offer

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aha, cheers for clearing that up PAF.

I still think 38 has some use and value.
Yeah, I wouldn't know exactly how other clubs are doing wrt list management either, rough idea yeah but that is about where it stops. Hard enough keeping up with our own club.

wrt pick 38 it most definitely has some value, but we would need to delist more players as we already have 3 picks before that one and by the sounds of it we might not be finished with our trades just yet.
That is on top of Jacobs' trade.

Interesting decision by Port to refuse to enter a multi-club trade. I wonder if he and his manager will look to arrange for passage via the psd or if he will sign on. It would be disappointing if the club got nothing out of his departure.

Interesting decision by Port to refuse to enter a multi-club trade. I wonder if he and his manager will look to arrange for passage via the psd or if he will sign on. It would be disappointing if the club got nothing out of his departure.

And let that be a lesson to all other little p*ssy whipped Victorian mummy's boys

Port don't get bent over (well, except by Vlad and friends)

Eh? He goes to the draft and gets home anyway. Doubt it's any skin off his nose.
Does he? Many teams including us have picks before North, unless they want to use pick 15 for him.

And let that be a lesson to all other little p*ssy whipped Victorian mummy's boys

I'm sure players have taken note.

So either Port convince him to stay, or they lose him for nothing now. I doubt he'd last until North's second pick at 38, and he still won't be worth 15, so it's nothing to me either way, but his chances of getting home if he wants to are still healthy, just Port gets nothing in return for pick 16 and two years work. If that's what a successful outcome looks to you, that's nice.

Eh? He goes to the draft and gets home anyway. Doubt it's any skin off his nose.

If a club wasn't prepared to give their high order picks to port now to get him, they aren't likely to use them in the Draft you wouldn't think?

Picks for PSD psd might have him going to GWS, or Gold Coast before Melbourne, or Norf

Like the NiIck Stevens thing- Carlton, now North, and all other clubs know that we win the game of chicken

We would RATHER lose a player for nothing, then let you have him for a cheap offer

I'm sure players have taken note.

So either Port convince him to stay, or they lose him for nothing now. I doubt he'd last until North's second pick at 38, and he still won't be worth 15, so it's nothing to me either way, but his chances of getting home if he wants to are still healthy, just Port gets nothing in return for pick 16 and two years work. If that's what a successful outcome looks to you, that's nice.

He's the worst payer I've ever seen on an AFL field anyway. NFI and shot in the head under pressure
Zero confidence, weird attitude
We are already ahead if he is off the list
He wouldnt have gotten 10 games at any other AFL club, GWS included
I agree. If we gave him to North he'd have at least clogged their list.

If he leaves anyway and you get nothing how is that a win? Port didn't even try, refused to get involved into a multi-club trade.

He's the worst payer I've ever seen on an AFL field anyway. NFI and shot in the head under pressure
Zero confidence, weird attitude
We are already ahead if he is off the list
He wouldnt have gotten 10 games at any other AFL club, GWS included
I agree. If we gave him to North he'd have at least clogged their list.

Right, but you also did the right thing by refusing 38 as it would have been massive unders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If a club wasn't prepared to give their high order picks to port now to get him, they aren't likely to use them in the Draft you wouldn't think?

Picks for PSD psd might have him going to GWS, or Gold Coast before Melbourne, or Norf

Like the NiIck Stevens thing- Carlton, now North, and all other clubs know that we win the game of chicken

We would RATHER lose a player for nothing, then let you have him for a cheap offer

Mmmm. The Nick Stevens thing hasn't stopped anyone trying to get out.

Jacobs isn't good enough to be worth clubs taking a risk to pick him for a club outside Victoria - he just might well get taken before 38 by another Victorian club.

I'm calling rubbish on this. If Pick 38 fell out of the sky for nothing, Port would use it.

No pick in the 30's in the modern era has been passed over.

In fact, has a pick in the 30's ever been passed over?

It's not as if Port are Hawthorn. They need plenty of players.

Looks like your rubbish call missed the mark :p

If he leaves anyway and you get nothing how is that a win? Port didn't even try, refused to get involved into a multi-club trade.

like your logo, imagine a hand with 4 fingers, and one of them doesnt work

You were offering us a fingernail in exchange. we wouldnt even have used your fingernail. didnt need it

getting him off the list frees us up to get someone else

AFAIC a 1 arm man would have more impact in a game than he did

he representes the free pass mentality that ruined our club the last 6 years.

play because they are young
play because they are a high draft pick

if he were pick 70 he played a pick 90 standard and your offer of 38 would be entirely reasonable

but we were never even going to use that draft pick, so we have no need for it

it is better for us to prove to the league that we do NOT let our draft picks and other clubs dictate terms in trade week than accept a pick we don't want

it is better for us to not reward little weasals who find it too hard and want it all their way

If he leaves anyway and you get nothing how is that a win?

And when Greenwood leaves next year for nix it all evens out!

Better than not playing Greenwood and calling him a required player

No?

Huh? Unrelated concepts.

Greenwood had good seasons 2010-11 although a little injury interrupted. He didn't fire in 2012 (quote "by his own admission"), but is good enough to be a required player. Didn't want a trade, unlike McIntosh and Pederson, and our (perhaps silly) strategy with both of these guys was to get something for them rather than nothing.

Obviously some clubs prefer nothing for their players. Awesome. :thumbsu:

Mmmm. The Nick Stevens thing hasn't stopped anyone trying to get out.

Jacobs isn't good enough to be worth clubs taking a risk to pick him for a club outside Victoria - he just might well get taken before 38 by another Victorian club.

anything he is picked up for LESS than our final draft pick is technically a loss for us as it would have been an upgrade

the question is, if another club takes him at say pick 27, why didn't they already offer it to us

do you think they will change their mind? i doubt it

Where did Nick end up?
Where does Jacobs thinke he might end up, West Sydney? Gold Coast, Melbourne? Freo?
And on what salary?

versus the next Jacobs in 4 years time sitting there thinking "they won't let me walk when I spit my little dummy and want to run home", might as well take their offer and stay

We will just have to agree to disagree. You see I think the real "gold" is what will be the impact on your club. As I've said we will ride the "poor compensation" bump as we have done in the past and remain a successful football club.

The fools gold for you is - that you cant see - you of all clubs cant afford to lose players like this. Walking away from any pick to make a stance is madness coming from a club in your postion.

Been wanting to reply to this for a day or so, but alas I fear the wrath of the mods if I start referencing the crows, tippett and fools gold...

Apparently confirmed by Jacobs' manager on TWS that Port weren't going to use the pick NM offered for him.

Obviously some clubs prefer nothing for their players. Awesome. :thumbsu:

a) We consider Jacobs a required player

b) There is no guarantee he will actually leave Port

Its amusing all these North fans coming out all narky over no trade being done after telling us all week that he wouldnt get a game for you anyway

like your logo, imagine a hand with 4 fingers, and one of them doesnt work

You were offering us a fingernail in exchange. we wouldnt even have used your fingernail. didnt need it

getting him off the list frees us up to get someone else

AFAIC a 1 arm man would have more impact in a game than he did

he representes the free pass mentality that ruined our club the last 6 years.

play because they are young
play because they are a high draft pick

if he were pick 70 he played a pick 90 standard and your offer of 38 would be entirely reasonable

but we were never even going to use that draft pick, so we have no need for it

it is better for us to prove to the league that we do NOT let our draft picks and other clubs dictate terms in trade week than accept a pick we don't want

it is better for us to not reward little weasals who find it too hard and want it all their way

Your analogy is flawed.

You need to let go of where the player was taken and what he has shown. He isn't a first round quality player, Port stuffed up taking him that early. We are under no obligation to compensate you for your error much like we didn't compensate Melbourne for their error with Gysberts.

Port wanted our pick 15, we are a much better chance of finding a significantly better player in the draft with that pick than Jacobs will become, that is the crux of the problem. I don't think we had a pick in the range of where Jacobs was worth, our 2nd round pick was too low, but Port refused to get involved in a multi-club trade so our option to source a fair pick in a deal which involved lower placed clubs wasn't possible because Port didn't want to attempt to find a fair compensation.

If he walks into the draft/psd then you just flushed a reasonable pick down the toilet for nothing, unless Port can convince him to re-sign you would have lost massively from that course of action.

Apparently confirmed by Jacobs' manager on TWS that Port weren't going to use the pick NM offered for him.

Makes sense. That's why the trade wasn't done. We had nothing between 15 and 38 (39?) and 15 was never in the picture.

My gut feel is Jacobs and Port will mend the bridge and he'll re-sign with them.

BTW, not narky - I said earlier in the thread that 38 wouldn't get the deal done and that I believe we've dodged a bullet, as I don't rate Jacobs at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back