Player Watch Ben Keays - Signs on til 2027

Remove this Banner Ad

is this the bloke that got caught holding the ball in the last minute but the ump didn't have the courage to call it against a home crowd? Is it that Ben Keays?

He disposed of the ball unlike a lot of your players, sorry your team isn't good enough when it counts and that you don't have the requisite number of neurons to understand AFL umpiring.

People crapping on in recent weeks about Keays being gone once we improve simply don't know what they are talking about. When we develop better midfielders Keays just goes from the 1st choice mid to the 3rd of 4th and he is a damn ******* good 3rd or 4th mid.

People knock his kicks out of contests, but once we have some good receivers in the middle he won't be doing it on his own.

At worst I think he ends up playing a similar role to Redden at WCE.

People crapping on in recent weeks about Keays being gone once we improve simply don't know what they are talking about. When we develop better midfielders Keays just goes from the 1st choice mid to the 3rd of 4th and he is a damn ******* good 3rd or 4th mid.

People knock his kicks out of contests, but once we have some good receivers in the middle he won't be doing it on his own.

Beginning of the year, I though he’d end up being a “stop gap” type, but his form this year has been sensational and has elevated himself above that. Keep it up and he’s going to be very hard to displace.

Only trouble is, with the advent of Berry, Schoenberg and hopefully Pedlar, he’s made Crouch rather redundant. Both he and Laird offer similar, if not better (in Laird’s case) clearance work, but offer so much more in terms of defensive pressure and spread. They also probably offer more versatility if the time comes that we need to give more game time to others. Keays can play Half forward, Laird obviously is an AA HB.

Just wondering how he's managed to elevate his production so much this season? The numbers are just insane, obviously footy is more than that but it seems he does the little things quite well too.

For those who wonder what Keays looks like on a contender: Libba, Viney still pretty important players for their teams, though so far this season the Dees mids haven't been amazing. Mids can't play super high TOG so having quality options to rotate through is huge(actually if anything Dees have been short on inside mid options last few weeks), seems Keays plays with a bit more IQ than Vines does whose game hasn't really grown beyond see ball get ball kick ball, though he's got genuine speed that Keays doesn't have that allows Vines to play a bit different.

Come so far since the first JLT game of 2020 where to be honest, he looked worse than a couple of the 20 year old Dees mids(and yeah part of that was definitely nerves causing indecision)...love seeing the success he's had in Adelaide. Don't really know the bloke but he replied fairly respectfully on Twitter to me discussing Man U so he's obviously the most worldly man in the AFL based on that alone

Averaging the same amount of fantasy points as the Bont, pretty crazy.

Didnt think he had this ceiling in him, to me he's our Adam Treloar but needs to add goal kicking.

Goes to show some players just need opportunity to develop.

Tom Mitchell was played forward at Sydney too long. Parish as well.

Just wondering how he's managed to elevate his production so much this season? The numbers are just insane, obviously footy is more than that but it seems he does the little things quite well too.

For those who wonder what Keays looks like on a contender: Libba, Viney still pretty important players for their teams, though so far this season the Dees mids haven't been amazing. Mids can't play super high TOG so having quality options to rotate through is huge(actually if anything Dees have been short on inside mid options last few weeks), seems Keays plays with a bit more IQ than Vines does whose game hasn't really grown beyond see ball get ball kick ball, though he's got genuine speed that Keays doesn't have that allows Vines to play a bit different.

Come so far since the first JLT game of 2020 where to be honest, he looked worse than a couple of the 20 year old Dees mids(and yeah part of that was definitely nerves causing indecision)...love seeing the success he's had in Adelaide. Don't really know the bloke but he replied fairly respectfully on Twitter to me discussing Man U so he's obviously the most worldly man in the AFL based on that alone
Was always rated by a lot of Brisbane supporters, but couldn't get a decent run in their midfield.

I think with us being so bad last year, it gave him time to build his game and get some consistency without the pressure of holding his spot week by week.

As to his personality, he comes across as a top person and I'm hoping CrowCast will be able to get him for an interview at some stage in the future.

I wish he had a right foot.

Could be borderline elite if he did.

Takes the game on drives the ball forward and just looks to create something all the time.

Until he is hemmed in on his right side. Then he has to panic rush his disposal.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I wish he had a right foot.

Could be borderline elite if he did.

Takes the game on drives the ball forward and just looks to create something all the time.

Until he is hemmed in on his right side. Then he has to panic rush his disposal.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Agreed, not sure if he is left footed but his kicking in general is his only let down and I feel it's something that should be easier fixed than it appears to be at AFL level. Surely this is just practising technique non stop, similar to a basketball player who learns how to shoot a 3 pointer or improve free throws, it's just repetition.

Has to be easier to improve that vs knowing instinctively where to run or just having the determination/attitude to go at it all game. If he could clean his kicking up he'd have some serious contracts in front of him and that would be a great result for everyone involved.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's having a good year at the moment. Defensively impacts as well with 6.2 tackles, and 24.1 pressure acts.

Cleans up his kicking, which could happen if he dedicates a bit of time to it in the preseason and it'll really round out his game. Even if it is just going from Petracca (seeing both Petracca and Keays are around 49.5% KE) to a Fyfe like kicking efficiency (~54% KE).

How good was Keays last night in the wet conditions? May not be the most polished user of the ball but his ability to take the ball clean where others were fumbling (even with 1 hand at times) was elite. What a great story he has become, one clubs trash our treasure in the space of a season.
It's like the Lyons situation, Lyons went to Brisbane and pushed Keays out so they had to trade him like we did with Lyons when M.Crouch's development overtook him.

How good was Keays last night in the wet conditions? May not be the most polished user of the ball but his ability to take the ball clean where others were fumbling (even with 1 hand at times) was elite. What a great story he has become, one clubs trash our treasure in the space of a season.

Once this rebuild is complete, whatever role Keays has in the team at that point, we’re going to be very grateful to him for what he’s given us during this period - total effort and commitment, playing a huge role for us while we transition to younger and better players around him, and from all reports now offering leadership to the young ones coming through. He is emblematic of the way they’re playing under Nicks, giving their all and getting rewarded for it.

He will be long remembered as one of the great Crows success stories in how he grabbed his second chance and gave it everything he’s got. Huge respect and thanks

ahahah the salt from this wow

Not only that, but he's got it wrong. It wasn't Ben Keays that wasn't called holding the ball in the dying stages of the game, it was Max Gawn when he was allowed to take the ball clean out of the ruck and get tackled without being called :laughing:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back