Player Watch Ben Keays - Signs on til 2027

Remove this Banner Ad

Loves 2 way running and defensive pressure?
Some of the Crows boys will be worried about a spot getting taken off them!

Meant to have a pretty good tank and workrate, but lacking outright pace or agility.
Hit the scoreboard alot in 2019 playing as a forward.
Going to be right on the cusp, might be too similar to the Crouches to put straight into the lineup with them but great cover?
At the least he'll push blokes like Gibbs to hopefully work a bit harder. Poholke will be worried as well as this guy will make it harder for him to get a senior spot. Keays will be 23 in Feb next year so is in that age range where he should be starting to show his peak physical form.
Will be watching with interest.

Former Brisbane Lion Ben Keays looked a standout as the Crows sweltered through 40-degree heat at West Lakes on Thursday morning.
Recruited in this year’s rookie draft, the 22-year-old, who played 30 games for the Lions from 2016-19, moved well in the midfield during match simulation and used the ball with precision when kicking inside 50.

He could be a surprise packet for Adelaide next season and push for a round one start.
Good to hear. I was surprised to hear Keays had been delisted by Brisbane as he was an obvious talent when he was drafted.

Former Brisbane Lion Ben Keays looked a standout as the Crows sweltered through 40-degree heat at West Lakes on Thursday morning.
Recruited in this year’s rookie draft, the 22-year-old, who played 30 games for the Lions from 2016-19, moved well in the midfield during match simulation and used the ball with precision when kicking inside 50.
Is that the first time "precision kicking" has been used when describing a Crows player?

Since D Jars anyway

Good club men are so underrated by many on this board, and as a club we need to build the culture again by getting players like Keays who can set the standard outside of the game for our more highly rated players. That includes MacKay surprise surprise. Welcome Keays, can slot into the half forward 2020 too.

On Pixel 3 using BigFooty.com mobile app

”good clubmen” is just an excuse for being an average player. We’ve had heaps and it gets you nowhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think we've taken on Ben Keays to play a forward role personally, my thinking is he'll be playing a lot more midfield than forward. I would be guessing but I reckon Brisbane only tried him up forward because they didn't see him breaking into their midfield any time soon with all the highly promising young mids they've brought in the last couple of drafts. Even in the NEAFL Ely Smith, Corey Lyons and Tom Berry etc were getting a run in the midfield before Keays all to do with development I'd think.

Watching Keays in the NEAFL he doesn't play the forward role like Eddie or Charlie Cameron etc even though he looked to play pretty close to goal mostly from what I saw. I think he plays midfield for us, the other bloke Crocker is the one that I think would be playing a lot of footy high half forward, might even have looked at him maybe replacing Tommy's role up forward down the track?

He had no hope of pushing past Jarryd Lyons, so you’re probably spot on with your analysis.

He had no hope of pushing past Jarryd Lyons, so you’re probably spot on with your analysis.
Would be funny if Keays makes it with us, with Lyons playing good footy at the Lions... after we basically gave him away.

Sometimes players just need a change of environment...

Inside 50 too, don't think anyone outside Gooch managed that this year.
So true.

If there is one thing we need to improve in a big way, it's our ball movement & use from the backline to our forwards.

And yet they recruited CEY...strange move IMO. I think Keays is an upgrade on CEY, certainly a lot more flexibility, pace (Keays isn't fast mind you), decent foot skills, endurance and ability to hit the scoreboard. Plus we got Gollant with the pick Brisbane gave us

Would be funny if Keays makes it with us, with Lyons playing good footy at the Lions... after we basically gave him away.

Sometimes players just need a change of environment...
So it was Poholke and Keays for Lyons and CEY.

Looks like 1-all at this point

So were Betts and Sauce.
Not sure why you are having a crack at Eddie who gave his all for our club & many special moments.

Sauce has walked because he knows he is no longer our lead ruck. He & the club should have better managed his dropping this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back