Analysis Best 22 for 2019?

Remove this Banner Ad

All being well, I’ve got 8 absolute bolted in locks for Rd 1.

Tarrant, Goldy, Higgins, Jacobs, Cunnington, Polec, Zeibell and Brown.

After that, form and team balance should dictate everything. Best 22 is a week to week proposition.

Jed Anderson should be in that group.

All being well, I’ve got 8 absolute bolted in locks for Rd 1.

Tarrant, Goldy, Higgins, Jacobs, Cunnington, Polec, Zeibell and Brown.

After that, form and team balance should dictate everything. Best 22 is a week to week proposition.
Maj I reckon is a lock also and I still see Marley as a lock, no one on our list can lock down the small forwards like he can

He’s certainly an extremely likely starters along with Dumont and a few others. I want to see him repeat before I absolutely lock him in.

Fair enough.

I'm probably of the same opinion about Froggy and Maj, one more year like that and they get welded into the side.

I agree with the Ziebull about Marley as well. He and Jed would be the only ones I'd add to your lock list. The rest can fight for places.

I see it like this in these very scientific categories:

Absolute 100% Locks if fit: Higgins, Cunnington, Brown, Goldstein, Ziebell, Tarrant, Jacobs, Polec.

Almost, but not quite locks: Dumont, Macmillan, Anderson, Daw, Williams, Simpkin, Hall, Wood, EVW.

Players who will be disappointed to not be in the 22: Atley, Thompson, McKay, Ahern, Turner, Garner, Pittard, Tyson, LDU, McDonald, Wright.

Young, talented depth who are ready to play: Thomas, Walker, Larkey, Scott, Zurhaar, Murphy

Mature depth: Durdin, Hrovat

Developing youth who are still a way off: Watson, Hayden, Taylor, Crocker, McKenzie, Xerri, Wilkinson, Red Og

If you take those first three groups, there are at least 28 players who would absolutely expect to be playing AFL level footy in 2019. There's going to be a lot that miss out, and that's before you even get to most of the kids who would reasonably expect development opportunities this year.

There's absolutely ****ing massive pressure on Brad and the selection committee in 2019 IMO. They just must pick on form, even if it's at the expense of mature players. There's no excuse now to excessively "back the (out of form) boys in" now. We've got the depth in 2019 to make that not only not necessary, but to mean that it would be actively damaging to players' confidence and morale to do so.

Absolute 100% Locks if fit: Higgins, Cunnington, Brown, Goldstein, Ziebell, Tarrant, Jacobs, Polec.

Almost, but not quite locks: Dumont, Macmillan, Anderson, Daw, Williams, Simpkin, Hall, Wood, EVW.

Players who will be disappointed to not be in the 22: Atley, Thompson, McKay, Ahern, Turner, Garner, Pittard, Tyson, LDU, McDonald, Wright.

Young, talented depth who are ready to play: Thomas, Walker, Larkey, Scott, Zurhaar, Murphy

Developing youth who are still a way off: Watson, Hayden, Taylor, Crocker, McKenzie, Xerri, Wilkinson, Red Og

If you take those first three groups, there are at least 28 players who would absolutely expect to be playing AFL level footy in 2019. There's going to be a lot that miss out, and that's before you even get to most of the kids who would reasonably expect development opportunities this year.

There's absolutely ******* massive pressure on Brad and the selection committee in 2019 IMO. They just must pick on form, even if it's at the expense of mature players. There's no excuse now to excessively "back the (out of form) boys in" now. We've got the depth in 2019 to make that not only not necessary, but to mean that it would be actively damaging to players' confidence and morale to do so.
I’d say Wilkinson being a mature age forward pocket is ready and is my pick to play a lot next year in the senior side

I’d say Wilkinson being a mature age forward pocket is ready and is my pick to play a lot next year in the senior side
Fair. I forgot he was a mature age player. Add him to "Young, talented depth who are ready to play."

Haha also, when I saw you quoted me, I was absolutely positive it was going to be about JMac being included in that second group :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Despite depth we have now I can tell you right now that the selection committee will still find ways to disappoint you and continue to frustrate you to no end. Myself included.

Watch out of form players like McDonald on bad games not get dropped, I'm calling it.

We'll be extremely lucky to see a single debut, let alone the best young talent we have if we're vying to compete and we will.

Williams, Tarrant, Daw
Murphy, McKay, EVW
Polec, Cunnington, Hall
Walker, Wood, Ziebell
Thomas, Brown, Simpkin

Goldstein, Higgins, Jacobs

Ahern, Anderson, Dumont, Davies-Uniake

A fit Garner is best 22.
Garner and Zurhaar/Wilkinson in for TT and Walker and that would be close to mine now I think

Despite depth we have now I can tell you right now that the selection committee will still find ways to disappoint you and continue to frustrate you to no end. Myself included.

Watch out of form players like McDonald on bad games not get dropped, I'm calling it.

We'll be extremely lucky to see a single debut, let alone the best young talent we have if we're vying to compete and we will.
Despite having what, three debuts this year?

5. :huh:

And I know what you typed but also know what posts like that imply.

Despite having what, three debuts this year?

5. :huh:

And I know what you typed but also know what posts like that imply.

Other than TT & maybe Wilkinson, I can't see us debuting anyone new in the near future unless injuries stacked up in the season and by debuts I mean people who've never played AFL games before, so I wouldn't count Polecs first North game as his debut for instance.

Anyway, I'll believe it when I see it when it comes to selection time next year, and a best 22 is too hard to pick right now.

If Ahern is fit he's playing 17 minimum for me.

Prodigious talent that won't learn a jot in the VFL.

I have him at the very, very top end of talent at the club.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

There's absolutely ******* massive pressure on Brad and the selection committee in 2019 IMO. They just must pick on form, even if it's at the expense of mature players. There's no excuse now to excessively "back the (out of form) boys in" now. We've got the depth in 2019 to make that not only not necessary, but to mean that it would be actively damaging to players' confidence and morale to do so.
I like what you are doing, but disagree with a couple, respectfully.
100% locks, I would take out Jacobs, until he is fit. When fit, I agree.
Almost locks... can't have Hall, Wood or EVW. Hall, potentially is here. Wood is overrated IMO. I think Larkey will take his spot at some point in the year. EVW, if fit, I would agree, but needs more time in the 1s. Turner for defensive pressure could easily be here.
I think (hope) Durdin and Mackay are locks by the end of the year, replacing Thompson and Waite. Wood is only ever going to be a 3rd tall in my opinion, so one of Durdin, Mackay or Larkey will be the second tall to play with Brown.

B: Williams, Tarrant, Thompson
HB: Macillan, Daw, Pittard
C: Polec, Cunners, Dumont
HF: Hall, Wood, Atley
F: Ziebell, Brown, Simkin
R: Goldstein, Jacobs, Higgins
IC: Anderson, LMac, Tyson, Ahern

EM: LDU, Turner, EVW, McKay

if McDonald McMillian find a spot in the AFL and play poor like it has been happening the BS is dead man walking after all the the Recruiting we have done it will be sad to this happen.
But if it does we have SHAW thing just waiting to come in But if its not him then it could be the man they call HORSE that could lead us to the promise land for the 5th time.

if McDonald McMillian find a spot in the AFL and play poor like it has been happening the BS is dead man walking after all the the Recruiting we have done it will be sad to this happen.
But if it does we have SHAW thing just waiting to come in But if its not him then it could be the man they call HORSE that could lead us to the promise land for the 5th time.
We've seem to have some genuine AFL quality depth now which we didn't have last season.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Other than TT & maybe Wilkinson, I can't see us debuting anyone new in the near future unless injuries stacked up in the season and by debuts I mean people who've never played AFL games before, so I wouldn't count Polecs first North game as his debut for instance.

Anyway, I'll believe it when I see it when it comes to selection time next year, and a best 22 is too hard to pick right now.

Despite being rake rake thin I could see Scott demanding selection at some point.

He’s played half a season of senior AFL reserves football already, had multiple 25+ possession games, he’s no smaller than Walker tbh.

If he gets it 25 times a game in the VFL off of a wing, he will get a game fairly quickly.

He’s my smokey for the VFL B&F depending on how many AFL games he plays.

He’s got ready to go AFL endurance, which most of the others apart from Wilkinson don’t have.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back